You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where's our famous atmosphere....

an tha

I am not saying I think this is an especially good article overall as it IMHO is a bit of a mess in how it covers what it is trying to get at.

But I do think it raises some interesting points, touches on some issues that are definitely things that exist at Anfield on matchday and the topic is a worthwhile discussion....

My own view is that the crowd at Anfield demographically is now more 'divided' than it has ever been and therefore there is a lack of 'togetherness' and a lack of shared identity/mindsets/behaviours and as a result, the overall atmosphere is fractured.

Article:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/02/why-arent-we-hearing-more-songs-for-liverpool-players-at-anfield/

3 hours ago, an tha said:

I am not saying I think this is an especially good article overall as it IMHO is a bit of a mess in how it covers what it is trying to get at.

But I do think it raises some interesting points, touches on some issues that are definitely things that exist at Anfield on matchday and the topic is a worthwhile discussion....

My own view is that the crowd at Anfield demographically is now more 'divided' than it has ever been and therefore there is a lack of 'togetherness' and a lack of shared identity/mindsets/behaviours and as a result, the overall atmosphere is fractured.

Article:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/02/why-arent-we-hearing-more-songs-for-liverpool-players-at-anfield/

Wool.

The article I mean.

When we get it right - a big game with some jeopardy - the atmosphere at Anfield is unsurpassed. The rest of the time it doesn’t reach those heights although it is still better than most other places (IMHO).

It has always been such. Ive been going since the early 70s and it hasn’t been much different throughout, often worse. Of course we can strive to improve the atmosphere but we do tend to look backwards with rose tinted spectacles. 

• Upvote 2

Chelsea last week was bouncing. We've got a lot of new players who just don't have their song yet. The Jota, VVD, Robbo and Trent songs got a good airing. Jota especially. Of course the obllgatory "Nunez Nunez" every time he touched the ball. The thing is, most sides don't have our repertoire when it comes to songs. Plus you've got different sections of the stadium kicking songs off now and not just the Kop. 

• 2 months later...

Something I was reflecting on after Thursday night.

At the moment I think our fanbase's emotional turmoil is a negative on the Anfield atmosphere. There's a desperation to send Jurgen out on a high that we're all feeling (I certainly am) along with a melancholy that there isn't long left. The initial rallying call bounce has faded and in the last few games it's made for a nervier than usual crowd.

There's more doubters than believers about too (again I'm guilty).

After Sunday we have a run of games away from Anfield. The season could be broken very quickly but part of me wonders if it's not a bad time to have a little break from our home games.

If we're still up there for the Spurs game it'll be close enough to the end for the place to be booming and in the meantime there's less opportunity for the fan's feeling to be pushed on to the players.

Just my thoughts anyway.

59 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

Something I was reflecting on after Thursday night.

At the moment I think our fanbase's emotional turmoil is a negative on the Anfield atmosphere. There's a desperation to send Jurgen out on a high that we're all feeling (I certainly am) along with a melancholy that there isn't long left. The initial rallying call bounce has faded and in the last few games it's made for a nervier than usual crowd.

There's more doubters than believers about too (again I'm guilty).

After Sunday we have a run of games away from Anfield. The season could be broken very quickly but part of me wonders if it's not a bad time to have a little break from our home games.

If we're still up there for the Spurs game it'll be close enough to the end for the place to be booming and in the meantime there's less opportunity for the fan's feeling to be pushed on to the players.

Just my thoughts anyway.

I was looking at our run of away fixtures and thought 'fuck me' if we win those we deserve the title.

• Upvote 1

Too many glory supporters with too much money, they don't know how many choruses there are at the end of YNWA, let alone the words to Poor Scouser Tommy.

I remember trudging back along the Anfield Road on a cold and wet November night, we'd just been beaten 2-0 at home by the mighty Derby County, Roy Evans was our boss back then and I was facing a 3 hour drive back home. I was thoroughly sick as fuck, and I couldn't help overhearing 3 other fans, all Scousers / local lads laughing and joking about what they hoped to be doing in town later that night.

Right then it hit me, the barometer of measuring someone's commitment as a fan has nothing to do with geography, it is this: how much does it hurt you when you lose.

I watched a YouTube video the other day of some fat American guy who'd saved up to come to England to come and see 5 Premiership games in 2 weeks, the finale and the highlight for him being his trip to Anfield to watch us beat Sheffield United last week.

The lad claimed to be a Red, he said he'd been a Liverpool fan for years and this trip to Anfield was a pilgrimage for him. He had all the gear on, he knew all the words to YNWA (even if he did mumble and falter at the 2nd and final chorus), and even though I'd have found him an annoying gimp if I'd have been sat next to him that night, I still thought fair play to the lad, good on him.

A couple of days later, his trip to the Man City game came up on my feed so out of curiosity is thought I'd take a look. Anyway, here's the same fat American guy, this time decked out head to toe in powder blue Man City paraphernalia, singing away to Blue Moon.

What a cunt. He clearly doesn't get it. It's one thing to go to another team's match, possibly on a corporate freebie, but you do not wear another club's shirt and scarf, or sing their songs, or actively support them ffs. You can be sure that I let the fat American fool know this in the YouTube comments.

And Nigel Spackman is a 2 faced hypocritical treacherous cunt who should never be employed by our club again, in any capacity.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Too many glory supporters with too much money, they don't know how many choruses there are at the end of YNWA, let alone the words to Poor Scouser Tommy.

I remember trudging back along the Anfield Road on a cold and wet November night, we'd just been beaten 2-0 at home by the mighty Derby County, Roy Evans was our boss back then and I was facing a 3 hour drive back home. I was thoroughly sick as fuck, and I couldn't help overhearing 3 other fans, all Scousers / local lads laughing and joking about what they hoped to be doing in town later that night.

Right then it hit me, the barometer of measuring someone's commitment as a fan has nothing to do with geography, it is this: how much does it hurt you when you lose.

I watched a YouTube video the other day of some fat American guy who'd saved up to come to England to come and see 5 Premiership games in 2 weeks, the finale and the highlight for him being his trip to Anfield to watch us beat Sheffield United last week.

The lad claimed to be a Red, he said he'd been a Liverpool fan for years and this trip to Anfield was a pilgrimage for him. He had all the gear on, he knew all the words to YNWA (even if he did mumble and falter at the 2nd and final chorus), and even though I'd have found him an annoying gimp if I'd have been sat next to him that night, I still thought fair play to the lad, good on him.

A couple of days later, his trip to the Man City game came up on my feed so out of curiosity is thought I'd take a look. Anyway, here's the same fat American guy, this time decked out head to toe in powder blue Man City paraphernalia, singing away to Blue Moon.

What a cunt. He clearly doesn't get it. It's one thing to go to another team's match, possibly on a corporate freebie, but you do not wear another club's shirt and scarf, or sing their songs, or actively support them ffs. You can be sure that I let the fat American fool know this in the YouTube comments.

And Nigel Spackman is a 2 faced hypocritical treacherous cunt who should never be employed by our club again, in any capacity.

Worra knob.

It’s just changed.

I went for years from about 83-2006 and then dropped off when responsibilities came into my world like a mortgage and kids.

I went for the first time Thursday, a mate of mine had a spare. The ground itself is spectacular and I’m glad we stayed there you can’t beat the walk up fountains road and through all the houses or going through Stanley Park.

But the crowd were unrecognisable. I sat next to two Irish guys, both nice fellas with the thickest accent ever but the amount of people taking selfies, constantly photographing the game and from the far east was very noticeable.

It’s just modern footy and how the big corporates want modern footy. Lots of first time visitors and customers in the shop and buying the experience.

Gone are the days when you could rock up to Kop, get bounced around for 90 minutes and go the chippy on the way home, all for less than a fiver.

The last great atmosphere I remember was the Man Utd 3-3 when it was still standing. It was bloody raw that night.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The last game I went to I got talking to a nice lad from Malaysia in the row in front who was at his first game, but when I stood up to sing YNWA he recorded me for the whole version, which was a tad unnerving.

I imagine I am now as big as Robbie Williams on Youtube in KL and would struggle to get out of the airport for fawning admirers.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Americans have a much more fluid understanding of support, in the main.

With the franchise idea you may not always have a team to support, or you follow the College team, so the idea of fixed support is anathema to them.

Mostly you'll support the team of where you live, and if you move then you'll change support, or along historical line like Irish descendants and teams from Boston etc.

It's part of why they're still not a proper country.

• Upvote 1

It's homogenous shite. As with most things in the world when they need a renovation or update you get the complete extreme from what you previously had and lose any control of the process. When Sky and the media backed the original breakaway idea they said.

'But if we do this then what's in it for us?'

The PL meekly answered ' Well,everything!' 

And here we are.

Twitter is full of whoppers saying the 3% rise is fine because they spend about a grand getting to a game,so it hardly makes a difference to them.

The demographic of the ground has changed completely.

I'll just refer back to what i said in the O.P.

My own view is that the crowd at Anfield demographically is now more 'divided' than it has ever been and therefore there is a lack of 'togetherness' and a lack of shared identity/mindsets/behaviours, and as a result, the overall atmosphere is fractured.

34 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'll just refer back to what i said in the O.P.

My own view is that the crowd at Anfield demographically is now more 'divided' than it has ever been and therefore there is a lack of 'togetherness' and a lack of shared identity/mindsets/behaviours, and as a result, the overall atmosphere is fractured.

If you are from outside the area,probably with the exception of the Irish and Scots,then it will be very difficult to understand that feeling of being treated as 'outsiders' in your own country. Particularly if you come from abroad or a generally more typical town or city in the UK. This is possibly part of that fractured atmosphere at games.

Too many upper class twats with money at the match now just for the experience. They just don't seem to get it.

It's an event to go to for these people. I hate how much results have an impact on my life. A lot of the time it feels wrong, I doubt that a lot of the people who attend games now give it a 2nd thought.

Who is right and who is wrong is the question though. The whole game is horrible nowadays. 

These arguments always come up when the team struggles. Nobody was analysing the social demographics after we beat Barca 4-0. 
Tomorrow is important to get the atmosphere and the team back on track, though.

1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

These arguments always come up when the team struggles. Nobody was analysing the social demographics after we beat Barca 4-0. 

It's been an issue all season and has come up in conversation amongst my group of mates a lot.

Do you think the atmospheres have improves or have been as good as 2019?

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

It's also rarely like for like and the worst of the non-HG support is compared to the best of the HG support but you rarely get the same disdain for the regular match goer who gets to the ground halfway through YNWA and leaves just before the game finishes.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If you are from outside the area,probably with the exception of the Irish and Scots,then it will be very difficult to understand that feeling of being treated as 'outsiders' in your own country. Particularly if you come from abroad or a generally more typical town or city in the UK. This is possibly part of that fractured atmosphere at games.

It is ironic that the city where people are just the most different to people in the rest of the land attracts people from all over it to the football club.