You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The problem with all these suggestions is we bought the 2 best forwards in Portugal and probably the best player in the Eredivisie in Gakpo not long ago, and essentially very few people are satisfied with that. And rightfully so, because the players haven't developed that much and they've got weaknesses.

So is that because it's exceedingly hard to find players who are complete and good enough for a reasonable fee anymore, or because we stopped developing players as well?

We bought the players purely by "eye" as opposed to using analytics we had previously used to buy the likes of 

Salah (flopped at Chelsea) 

Wijnaldum (got relegated at Newcastle) 

Robertson (got relegated with hull, while conceding 80 goals) 

Quite frankly, we didn't do our due diligence on Nunez

Gakpo is a better 9 than a winger. 

When he joined he did a decent job at times playing as Bobby did. His link up play was better. But as we moved into a newer style with Nunez and inverting Trent he has fallen off. 

What I do like with him is he makes proper forward runs in the box, especially to the back post for tap in. He will suit a more patient build up. If he played as the forward next year in the set up that Slot has played at Feyenoord I reckon he gets around 15 league goals if we adapt and play well

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The problem with all these suggestions is we bought the 2 best forwards in Portugal and probably the best player in the Eredivisie in Gakpo not long ago, and the result's not been ideal. The players haven't developed that much and they've got weaknesses.

So is that because it's exceedingly hard to find players who are complete and good enough for a reasonable fee anymore, or because we stopped developing players as well?

It’s a good point but remember we’re suggesting best of the rest and/or budget recruiting in line with what we’ve seen from FSG before and to suit the Portuguese-Dutch speaking coaching set up under Ljinders and the Portuguese lad, we had.

Of course proven PL would come in, if were to win big again but you’d imagine this fella would want a leaning towards what and whom he knows and that’s the Dutch league/dutch lids!

Pure speculation of course but I can’t see Edwards securing a record budget in this fella’s first season or a majority of prem-proven new additions. 

11 minutes ago, Bourbon said:

His style, technique and finishing looks so much more repeatable, simple and grounded than Nunez.

Just feel he’d have scored a bagful down the stretch this season, in comparison. 

He already looks more emotionally consistent, too. 

Maybe

I like what I've seen but his age will count against him at that fee. Last year was the time to buy him

Just now, Lee909 said:

Maybe

I like what I've seen but his age will count against him at that fee. Last year was the time to buy him

We shouldn’t be afraid of signing lads in their prime but as you say, it’s risky. 

Is it Nunez as the main 9 again or do we hope this fella brings Gakpo back up to speed?

I worry neither is good enough for trophies, top 4 is our goal next season you’d think. 

8 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

We bought the players purely by "eye" as opposed to using analytics we had previously used to buy the likes of 

Im not sure thats totally true. Logically, Klopp and Ljinders would have had more of a say on transfers in the last few years, but they would have been given suggestions based on data. The club didnt stop doing that and Klopp+Ljinders wouldnt have had the time to scout players and whatnot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bourbon said:

I worry neither is good enough for trophies, top 4 is our goal next season you’d think. 

I would say so. 

We won't want to be miles away but maybe 3rd, a bit of the title but not neck and neck late. Mostly because it's a new manager and a season with little preseason with the Euros so will need some time to settle. If we get off to a good start though who knows as City are not the same side and surely Arsenal are not going to continue to be as lucky with injuries or playing teams with major injuries 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I would say so. 

We won't want to be miles away but maybe 3rd, a bit of the title but not neck and neck late. Mostly because it's a new manager and a season with little preseason with the Euros so will need some time to settle. If we get off to a good start though who knows as City are not the same side and surely Arsenal are not going to continue to be as lucky with injuries or playing teams with major injuries 

Yeah, I’d think top 4 would be great for him and the expectations will be tampered which will help him. Can’t help but think Klopp either got carried away himself as this season built beyond all expectations or just went for it all and hoped for the best. 

I think we often do better as a club when we’re slightly off the radar, a bit of underdog angst. 

Gakpo and Diaz seemed like the same player at previous clubs.  Almost all their highlights involved cutting in from the left and hitting corkers into the net from the edge of the area.  

Neither of them seem able to find the same space or time to do that in this division, and when they do they're up against a much better level of goalkeeper than they found in the nets of Heerenveen or Boavista. 

But, you don't know until you sign them.  Suarez being the prime example. 

But we have signed them and they're not actually top level.  Decent, but not top level. 

Have to sell. 

25 minutes ago, Bourbon said:

It’s a good point but remember we’re suggesting best of the rest and/or budget recruiting in line with what we’ve seen from FSG before and to suit the Portuguese-Dutch speaking coaching set up under Ljinders and the Portuguese lad, we had.

Of course proven PL would come in, if were to win big again but you’d imagine this fella would want a leaning towards what and whom he knows and that’s the Dutch league/dutch lids!

Pure speculation of course but I can’t see Edwards securing a record budget in this fella’s first season or a majority of prem-proven new additions. 

I think the market is inherently difficult now for a club like us who want to find value for money. At the start of Klopps time, we were somehow finding really strong players who had English football experience, for incredible value. 

Now the prices are ballooned and you re trying to interpret data and performances from players in mediocre leagues like Portugal and the Netherlands because players are inherently less expensive there at this point in time. That seems incredibly difficult. Id almost say the scouting in those leagues should be way more eye test, You know when a player is just a freak talent and there have been such players from those leagues, but how they play against Vitesse or whatever, what can you even take from that, 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think the market is inherently difficult now for a club like us who want to find value for money. At the start of Klopps time, we were somehow finding really strong players who had English football experience, for incredible value. 

Now the prices are ballooned and you re trying to interpret data and performances from players in mediocre leagues like Portugal and the Netherlands because players are inherently less expensive there at this point in time. That seems incredibly difficult. Id almost say the scouting in those leagues should be way more eye test, You know when a player is just a freak talent and there have been such players from those leagues, but how they play against Vitesse or whatever, what can you even take from that, 

Hopefully the new finance rules kick in somewhat and at keep the market stable, doubt it. But even mediocre players are going for the 40-60ml range. Also as much as i detest the multi club thing i get why the club are doing it and hopefully it allows us the buy the players that step earlier. We could buy Virg,Gini etc after they made the step into English football. Similarly we supposedly looked at the likes of Enzo,Verala etc when in Argentina but felt they needed to make a move before we could buy them because unlike City,Chelsea we have never really been able to take punts on players that might not get games unless they are super cheap. So hopefully if we find a club in Portugal,Belgium we could get these types bought and loaned out or let the other club buy them and buy them if they progress

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Hopefully the new finance rules kick in somewhat and at keep the market stable, doubt it. But even mediocre players are going for the 40-60ml range. Also as much as i detest the multi club thing i get why the club are doing it and hopefully it allows us the buy the players that step earlier. We could buy Virg,Gini etc after they made the step into English football. Similarly we supposedly looked at the likes of Enzo,Verala etc when in Argentina but felt they needed to make a move before we could buy them because unlike City,Chelsea we have never really been able to take punts on players that might not get games unless they are super cheap. So hopefully if we find a club in Portugal,Belgium we could get these types bought and loaned out or let the other club buy them and buy them if they progress

Doesn’t Portugal have more relaxed visa rules than other E.U. Countries? 

Would make sense buying a club there. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Doesn’t Portugal have more relaxed visa rules than other E.U. Countries? 

Would make sense buying a club there. 

Not sure of the rules but yes it seems far easier for South Americans to get over there with no problems, i think Belgium is similar.

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

but how they play against Vitesse or whatever, what can you even take from that, 

Good point this - it's multiplied by the fact that the top players we are looking for are invariably playing in the best sides in these leagues.

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not sure of the rules but yes it seems far easier for South Americans to get over there with no problems, i think Belgium is similar.

This was today:

World football's governing body FIFA should lose a European Union court dispute over player transfer rules, a legal adviser to the EU's top court said Tuesday.

Advocate General Maciej Szpunar said that FIFA's rules – which make it harder for players to move to another team – may restrict players' EU right to move across the bloc. While judges don't have to follow the court aide's recommendations in their final ruling, they often do.

Under FIFA's rules, players may have to pay football clubs compensation when their contracts are terminated without "just cause" and any team they sign with is also liable to pay up.

The Court of Justice is ruling on a dispute from an unidentified professional player based in Paris whose contract at Russian football club Lokomotiv Moscow was terminated after one year over an alleged breach of its terms.

The player challenged the decision in court in Belgium after a potential deal with Belgium's Sporting du Pays de Charleroi fell through because of the FIFA rules. He is seeking €6 million in damages and loss of income. The EU court must rule on points of EU law to advise Belgian judges who will handle the final decision.

"There can be little doubt as to the restrictive nature" of FIFA's regulation on the status and transfer of players, Szpunar said in his opinion.

"By their very nature, the contested provisions limit the possibility for players to switch clubs and, conversely, for (new) clubs to hire players, in a situation where a player has terminated his or her contract without just cause," he said.

"The contested provisions, by limiting clubs’ ability to recruit players, necessarily affect competition between clubs on the market for the acquisition of professional players," he said.

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

Nunez was off the charts on analytics and still is now. Stat nerds love him. 

• Like 1

He is definitely off the charts in terms of being caught offside or missing big chances. Not so much when its goals vs expected goals. To be fair he has been far better this year than last but he still looks clumsy as fuck and his touch is bang average to often in the area. When you look at his stats of scoring goals its pretty average at best and the only outlier is that one season in Benfica when everything he hit went in. Outside of that 16 in 32 in the Spanish second division and 6 in 29 for Benfica. I would probably sell Jota first purely because he is only fit 50% of the season and then takes a few weeks to get going. But we need another goalscorer

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Which, you have to agree, is hilarious, given the discourse about anything stats related on here.  

He's got 31 goal involvements

Stats are good

He's been offside 30 times

He's missed 26 big chances 

He under his XG by 5 goals

Fuck off with your stats nerd

4 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

Sign Vlahovic, both footed and is clinical even in this shit negative juventus side, he’s score hat fulls in this team of ours imo.

Forgot about him, somehow. He’d be a great buy. 

7 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

Sign Vlahovic, both footed and is clinical even in this shit negative juventus side, he’s score hat fulls in this team of ours imo.

I doubt juventus would sell for anything less than 100 million euro. So fuck that. 

Plus he's got champions league football with them next season. They're always going to pushing for Serie A, and no offence, I'd hazard a guess that Turin and it's surrounding areas are slightly nicer to live in than Lancashire. The weather especially 

11 hours ago, dave u said:

Nunez was off the charts on analytics and still is now. Stat nerds love him. 

And I can see why. His all round game and goals contribution (ie goals + assists) is really good. 

Unfortunately, his lack of a clinical edge has likely cost keeping us in title race longer this season.