You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

17 minutes ago, dave u said:

Don't be surprised if there's not much done at centre back this summer either by the way, the stat nerds are extremely high on Sepp Van den Berg who has apparently been one of the best centre backs in Germany this season. He'll definitely get a look in pre-season to try and prove himself.

Like Bradley, if he's done well on loan, he should get a chance to stake a claim.

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Quansah too.

Yep. If we're after a left back, unless we are already sure they aren't good enough, I'd hope Slot would take a decent look at Beck & Chambers as well first.

Unless the data team are crystal clear somebody isn't good enough or needs replacing & have a replacement lined up, I'd assume Slot wll use the US Tour to make decisions on the majority of players.

Not un-similar to what Benitez did. Josemi was signed reasonably early, Nunez was somewhat put upon us, Alonso & Garcia only came in after the season had already started after he'd had a chance to look at everybody.

These "Liverpool will sign a winger" stories makes me think somebody is leaving and / or a deal is already in the pipeline. IMO, Doak and Gordon need loans to prove themselves further.

Whats the lastest with Beck, Didnt someone say he wasn't happy over with the club over something. Possibly him getting recalled?

Granted if the new boss wants to take a look at him im sure he will get over it.

6 minutes ago, John102 said:

Whats the lastest with Beck, Didnt someone say he wasn't happy over with the club over something. Possibly him getting recalled?

Granted if the new boss wants to take a look at him im sure he will get over it.

I think he felt the club fucked him over by recalling him and then playing him for only a few minutes.

It meant he could not be loaned to a different club than Dundee and there were reports of Celtic/Ranger interest.

25 minutes ago, dave u said:

Don't be surprised if there's not much done at centre back this summer either by the way, the stat nerds are extremely high on Sepp Van den Berg who has apparently been one of the best centre backs in Germany this season. He'll definitely get a look in pre-season to try and prove himself.

Van den Berg will count as a home grown player too as he was only 17 when we signed him. 

If he establishes himself here we are going to start to resemble late 90's Barcelona under Van Gaal!

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

A mildly interesting take on Diaz…

IMG_1420.jpeg

…basically he has 2 years left on his contract. He’s on the lower end of the scale in terms of wages. Assume discussions will come on a new deal and that do our hierarchy think he is worthy of a, likely, big wage increase? 

He’s only averaged 1 goal in 4 games the whole time he’s been with us (I realise last season was interrupted) and assists are less frequent. 

I like Diaz, I think he’s a good player, there is definitely a strong-ish case for sale this summer. 

Maybe our most skilful player, but he’s rarely taken on and beaten a player for pace since that injury.  Quite easy to throw off the ball still too.

Still has a great attitude and one of the few who wasn’t feeling sorry for himself in recent weeks. 

To his credit, he’s probably worth more than what we paid for him. 

The new manager should take a good look at any young player who is ready for at least the first team squad, they can always go on loan in January.

We all know a lot have already had minutes and others like Morton and Carvalho can be looked at again. 

57 minutes ago, John102 said:

Yeah that was me. His Dad hasn't told my mate anymore since so guessing no conversation has took place.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave u said:

This is exactly right and I'm amazed anyone might think differently. This isn't Man United, Edwards isn't going to just let Hughes and Slot go shopping in Holland. If we sign a Feyenoord player it will be because the scouts have been watching him for a while and he's high on their list. 

We need a deep lying midfielder and also cover for a centre back and his price would not be too high. I think it’s a possibility that we sign him but It’s also possible that we don’t make any signings of note given our history down the years.

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Could that not be because of the tactics Mainz play? I have no idea, I don't watch them, I'm just wondering if he's encouraged to play long.

I did hear that the main concern is that he plays in a deeper line than we play so would need to adapt to that. I always thought he was slow when I watched him here but he clocked the fastest time in Germany or something this year, so my eyes must have been deceiving me!

Yes it could well be, Mainz average round about half the number of passes per game we do with 301 and with a 46.4% average possession......even under Slot next season naturally that'll go up to around 550-600 and the possession up by 10% or so, that'll allow Sepp to freely express his passing ability more from the back much like Quansah has been able to. 

They had a change of manager in Feb so since then they've tried to play a little more from the back in a higher line but in the last game I saw him in their 1-1 draw with Koln last weekend he tends to drop deepest of the 3. Another game which was shown live on Sky was their game at Leverkusen & boy did Leverkusen struggle to create anything meaningful all game. Backs against to the wall this lad can defend.

As far as his pace/recovery pace goes, I haven't been able to clock much of it & it isn't much to go on at all but this little clip shows he can definitely get those legs moving even if it may look a little ungainly. 

• Upvote 1

Thinking about the youngsters and lads we have on loan returning, with the Euro’s and Copa America, they‘ll likely all view it as a good chance to impress Slot. 

Looking at the first team squad, I can only think players who won’t be away are…

Keheller, Bradley, Quansah, Jones, Elliott, Tsmiskas, Endo & Salah.

Don’t know about Gomez and Gravenberch. 

Apart from Mo, you can’t really say the rest are certain starters. 

Not saying all the youngsters will make it or force their way into Slot’s plans, given we’ll unlikely have everybody back until early / mid August, it’s an opportunity for them. 

We can make a decent side of players that will be in early preseason

Kelleher

Bradley

Quansah

van den Berg

Beck

Endo

Gravenberch

Elliot

Carvalho

Jones

Salah

Gomez

Gravenberch

Doak

Gordon

Bajectic

Might sound like an Echo "save millions" post, but as a few others have said, I really hope the new management structure - Edwards/Slot etc will see if there's a path to the 1st team for a few of our  kids/loanees. 

We need depth and improvements at centre back, left back, centre midfield, and strikers. 

Sepp Van den Berg, Owen Beck, Tyler Morton, Fabio Carvalho and Jaydon Danns are talented and close to moving up to the next level. 

There's always a case for buying the next shiny toy and I'm right there with the post season transfer talk,  desperate to hear about the players who can make the difference next season. But let's not rule out these lads. 

As Dave says,  Sepp is having a break out season at Mainz and Fabio is rebuilding his reputation at Hull. He looks a class above anyone in that league, there's still some question marks about his work rate off the ball but he's still a kid. 

Tyler Morton isn't as naturally talented and has flaws in his game but he can play,  has a wicked dead ball delivery and we are crying out for a proper No 6. He's ahead of McConnell although I'm still hoping Bajcetic will be a big factor next year. 

Dunno much about Owen Beck, but I could have said the same about Conor Bradley before this season. 

17 minutes ago, beejay said:

Might sound like an Echo "save millions" post, but as a few others have said, I really hope the new management structure - Edwards/Slot etc will see if there's a path to the 1st team for a few of our  kids/loanees. 

I don’t think it sounds “save millions” at all. It’s common sense.

With the players away, a new coach, clean slate etc they have an opportunity to show what they can do.

If players don’t get an opportunity, there is no point to the Academy - whether that opportunity be in Pre-season, League Cup, Papa Johns Trophy or whatever.

What they do with that opportunity is down to them…

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, beejay said:

Tyler Morton isn't as naturally talented and has flaws in his game but he can play,  has a wicked dead ball delivery and we are crying out for a proper No 6. He's ahead of McConnell although I'm still hoping Bajcetic will be a big factor next year. 

Dunno much about Owen Beck, but I could have said the same about Conor Bradley before this season. 

Yeah I've got a sneaky feeling Morton might surprise people when he comes back. I remember reading that report about him being in the top 100 list of the most press resistant players in world football and it's stuck with me, because any manager looking to play out from the back through the number six is going to really like that. He might need one more loan though to see if he can get to the required level, but it could depend on pre-season. Either Beck or Chambers will probably replace Kostas in the squad next season. 

I’m all for giving the kids a chance as they’ve looked good when called upon. I do feel like we need a world class striker and centre mid to give everyone a lift and send a message out going into next season. 

Seeing arsenal have told Gabriel Jesus he’s surplus to requirements now. This is the ruthlessness we’ve lacked these last few years. He’d have saw his contract out here. 

It’s desperately annoying how well Arsenal have done in the transfer market these last few years. I know they’ve spent big but they’ve spent well. I can see them going big in a centre forward and getting Isak or Osimhen. They’ve been linked to Zirkzee but I think they’ll push the boat out, the wankers.

9 hours ago, dave u said:

I don't doubt it, but equally it's every new manager's rite of passage to buy a new centre back. 

It's just a fucking shame that we get a Dutch manager when they have terrible players.  There's no fuckers like Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, Overmars, Seedorf, Davids, Sneijder, Robben. 

The good news is Shaqueel Van Persie is 17 and in Feyenoords youth team...

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I don't doubt it, but equally it's every new manager's rite of passage to buy a new centre back. 

It's just a fucking shame that we get a Dutch manager when they have terrible players.  There's no fuckers like Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, Overmars, Seedorf, Davids, Sneijder, Robben. 

The good news is Shaqueel Van Persie is 17 and in Feyenoords youth team...

Yeah because Jurgen brought so many top German players. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I’m all for giving the kids a chance as they’ve looked good when called upon. I do feel like we need a world class striker and centre mid to give everyone a lift and send a message out going into next season. 

Seeing arsenal have told Gabriel Jesus he’s surplus to requirements now. This is the ruthlessness we’ve lacked these last few years. He’d have saw his contract out here. 

Agree on both points 1 and 2. 

It's lazy to assume Slot will be a attracted to Dutch players, but someone like Frankie De Jong would be interesting and Barca always need cash.  

I'd even consider a swap for Darwin and Lewandowski.  

14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Agree on both points 1 and 2. 

It's lazy to assume Slot will be a attracted to Dutch players, but someone like Frankie De Jong would be interesting and Barca always need cash.  

I'd even consider a swap for Darwin and Lewandowski.  

There's no way de Jong leaves Barca before his contract is up, they gave him like 700 grand a week or something. Absolutely insane. He'll never get that anywhere else.

Swapping Darwin for a 36 year old Lewandowski that is well on the way out would be stupid

I did see some links to de Jong but likely just shit as no real source