You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (H) - Wed 31st Jan 2024 (8:15pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

Note the kick-off time. This is the reverse fixture of the opening day of the season, and an opportunity to maintain the gap between ourselves and City. I say 'maintain' because they are at home to Burnley on the same night. Burnley are currently managed by a City old boy, and they are always as useless as Watford used to be against the cheats. Rather than sit in their own box for 90 minutes yet still get picked apart as they used to do under Dyche, they will be naïve and wide open, leaving gaps and getting picked apart. I don't see Kompany being unhappy about it either. We can only control what we do. Chelsea have again spent fortunes this season, including signing two players who were apparently on our radar. Yet all you hear is that they are a work in progress and still short of players in certain positions. How do you spend the sort of money they have since Boehly came in, and yet still be short in key areas? They've again lacked consistency this season.

Games between the two sides have generally seen them cancel each other out. Last season's game at Anfield in January last year being a case in point. Havertz had an early goal ruled out by VAR for offside, and there was no other talking point, unless you count 21 year old Mudryk (on his debut) outpacing 87 year old James Milner and running the ball out of play. Chelsea were managed by Graham Potter back then, and his teams have had 0-0 written all over them. It was the case with Brighton too, where a generally tactically sharp coach struggled to find ways to get his players to find the back of the net. Cody had a couple of tame efforts, and Trent blazed an effort high into the Kop late on when a left-wing cut-back found its way to him in space on the right, just inside the area. Right option to take a shot on with the goalkeeper scrambling back, just the wrong execution.

No idea who is fit and available for them, but we've managed to get players coming back from lay-offs this past week, which gives Jurgen good options for the starting XI as well as the bench. And the academy players like Bradley, Quansah, McConnell and Clark have shown up very well over the past month. The first two have transitioned to the first team almost seamlessly. This is not the Jurgen Klopp farewell tour though, this is serious business. We are top of the table for a reason, so go out there and show it. Maximum motivation, concentration, attitude and application from first minute to last. 3 points please. Get it done!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

I'd imagine Gomez to stay left back for this one, and Trent back in as hybrid rb. And that worries me a bit. 

Kid or not, I enjoyed having a tenacious right back getting up and down the line the last few games. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, KevieG said:

I'd imagine Gomez to stay left back for this one, and Trent back in as hybrid rb. And that worries me a bit. 

Kid or not, I enjoyed having a tenacious right back getting up and down the line the last few games. 

Yep agreed , I think they should leave him there and move Trent into midfield. 

i fucking hate these. we're due a good performance against them. in recent times, we always seem to be a bit below our best, perhaps even too respectful of them. I hope we just get absolutely stuck into them and bully them from the kick off. get 3 points, roll on to the emirates and fuck lego head and his gang of divers. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I hope we fucking destroy them. I want Nunez to be on top form, prime Shevchenko/Torres/Shearer/Henry all rolled into one. Batter these drips.

We're fuckin shite.

... but not the versions of Shevchenko and Torres that played for these bums!

Everything about that club and its fans is fucking horrible.  I'd really love us to batter them to a pulp, but I'll be more than happy with a scrappy win and no injuries.

Just get these beat, Reds.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’d nearly keep Trent for the second half in this one, as he’ll surely be rusty and Bradley has been superb. 

we have choices - robbo could play the other side and gomez could be RB. and if macca is injured rather than just rested yesterday (i reckon he is rested), you could play trent as the 6. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

i fucking hate these. we're due a good performance against them. in recent times, we always seem to be a bit below our best, perhaps even too respectful of them. I hope we just get absolutely stuck into them and bully them from the kick off. get 3 points, roll on to the emirates and fuck lego head and his gang of divers. 

We almost need another type of setup for Chelsea. 

They always seem to win the tactical battle against us but they are so useless at finishing that they can't beat us.

Perhaps this season we can just overpower them.

I really, really dislike Chelsea. Like really, really.

Players, to owners, to fans, to managers. All twats who love the smell of their own farts.

Please fucking batter these pricks reds.

Oh and fuck that Manc biff Paul Tierney who once again gets an opportunity to fuck us over. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

I really, really dislike Chelsea. Like really, really.

Players, to owners, to fans, to managers. All twats who love the smell of their own farts.

Please fucking batter these pricks reds.

Oh and fuck that Manc biff Paul Tierney who once again gets an opportunity to fuck us over. Absolutely ridiculous.

Fucking Hell, long time no see.

You're a certainly more welcome sight than that cunt Tierney will be.

Stop any resurgence they have in its tracks (if there is one, their results still look inconsistent to me). 

Boo the fuck out of Caicedo. Boo the fuck out of Tierney. Cheer the fuck out of the reds.

Fully expect Trent, Robbo & Szoboszlai to start.

Massive week for us. Just fucking win.

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Is he the fucking ref again? 

Yep. No doubt his partner in cunt Simon Hooper will be on VAR, with David Coote and Gary Neville beside him to help with the marginal calls. "Good process lads"

• Upvote 1