You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

I wonder if Klopp will help FSG with the process, surely they would sit down with him and say who do you admire and who do you think has what it takes, obviously all the data analysis will feature. He's a man who cares about what he's leaving behind when you willingly hand over the reigns you pass them to someone you feel could handle it or do you just walk away, my job is done I've left solid foundations.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I wonder if Klopp will help FSG with the process, surely they would sit down with him and say who do you admire and who do you think has what it takes, obviously all the data analysis will feature. He's a man who cares about what he's leaving behind when you willingly hand over the reigns you pass them to someone you feel could handle it or do you just walk away, my job is done I've left solid foundations.

Already said he won't as that's not his job.

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

De Zerbi is a good manager but he's not even in the top 5 Italian managers. 

If you want an Italian who is ready to compete straight away look at Inzaghi. Managing Inter and Lazio are big pressure jobs. Competed in Europe and won domestically still only 47. Very adaptable and excellent at managing the game. 

Has he won Serie A yet though? 

Something that needs to be factored in is how much are we willing to pay to get someone out of their contract, if we are targeting people who are employed.

Kind of amazed this hasnt been discussed given everyone thinks the owners dont spend. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Wife is visiting her sister in Spain next week and asked me to check the weather for her.

Its a sign I tell you.

Screenshot_20240127-111435_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've got a mate who lives over there. Moved out a year or two before COVID. I've been over a couple of times, it's a nice town. And spitting distance from a night in benni. What more could you want for a couple of days in Spain?

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I hope he's nowhere near the process. The only way I think he should be involved, would be if they were thinking of keeping the backroom and promoting ljinders. I love klopp, but I want him focussing on winning every match for the rest of the season. He doesn't need the distraction or responsibility of walking a replacement to the door. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

hope he's nowhere near the process. The only way I think he should be involved, would be if they were thinking of keeping the backroom and promoting ljinders. I love klopp, but I want him focussing on winning every match for the rest of the season. He doesn't need the distraction or responsibility of walking a replacement to the door. 

Indeed.

His excellent professionalism is one of his best traits.

Who manages us next is none of his business.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Something that needs to be factored in is how much are we willing to pay to get someone out of their contract, if we are targeting people who are employed.

Kind of amazed this hasnt been discussed given everyone thinks the owners dont spend. 

Think the only time that becomes an issue is if the manager is De Zerbi as they already have a benchmark from when Potter left of 22 million for him and his staff with 3 years left.

De Zerbi will be going into his final two years in the summer so any deal would be south of that.

Any new manager will also be on considerably less than the £15m a year Klopp was getting as well.

I’ve seen a story saying Nagelsmann’s wife caused shit at Bayern because she either worked for or had contacts at BILD and was feeding info to them, which in turn pissed the players off. Bit of a Rebecca Vardy, perhaps?

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Firstly, to @El Rojo this is why I said Alonso would have my 100% support, because I knew people would say I didn’t want him because I don’t like him, like I’m some spotty teenager unable to be a grown up and just want what’s best for club. 

As I said in reply to someone else, De Zerbi is in the “take a punt” category that Alonso is in. We just have more to assess with de zerbi as he’s managed successfully in the premier league and for more than half a season. 

At this point, being genuinely worried about missing out on Alonso seems far too premature. Nobody, not even the biggest if Alonso fans, can say he’s going to be elite with any level of confidence. And Liverpool should be looking for an elite level manager. In my opinion obviously 

De Zerbi has managed Brighton for 53 games, winning 22, drawing 15 and losing 16. That averages out at a 58 point season. They have conceded over 1.5 goals per game.

I know it is Brighton, but he has not been "successful" at all. He is doing a good job but very little points to him being a Liverpool manager. 

3 minutes ago, Razoray said:

De Zerbi has managed Brighton for 53 games, winning 22, drawing 15 and losing 16. That averages out at a 58 point season. They have conceded over 1.5 goals per game.

I know it is Brighton, but he has not been "successful" at all. He is doing a good job but very little points to him being a Liverpool manager. 

Don't want any untried manager at all, there's got to be people around who've bought the t shirt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

I think we have to take a chance on Xabi, not for nostalgic reasons (though it helps he was a red), but he might just be the new outstanding coach of his generation. He'd get time here to implement his ideas and will inherit a great squad of players. Of course no one knows for sure how it will go for him I think it's worth a shot.

This all day it’s a risk but the potential to get the best young coach is worth it plus he is not walking in to a shit show like Jurgen did in 2015

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

Has he won Serie A yet though? 

With Inter 2nd, 3rd and presently 2nd. They lost two big players to PSG and Chelsea when he arrived and was still competitive. His Lazio scored more goals than any team in his time there. I'd say he's in in the Ancelotti mould doesn't have an explicit style of play but adapts to the players and is talked about as being a good man-manager. 

He got to a Champions League final with Onana in goal surely extra bonus points for that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

This all day it’s a risk but the potential to get the best young coach is worth it plus he is not walking in to a shit show like Jurgen did in 2015

Exactly this whoever takes over will be walking into a really good squad,  champions league football and a few contract renewals to sort out , hardly the stuff of nightmares 

Normally when a new guy is appointed he's coming in and fighting fires from day 1 that obviously won't be the case here so I'm all in on Xabi he's the stand out candidate and will imo do a good job 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Yep. Playing under Benitez, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Del Bosque and Guardiola will surely have rubbed off. 

He certainly has the feeling he’s destined for the top. 

I don’t think his lack of experience should count against him. He has more experience than Guardiola when he took of Barca. 

I’m not against De Zerbi. I think there are more question marks over him than Xabi. The way Klopp and Guardiola talk about him, there must be something impressive. 

I’m not taken by Nanglesman at all. 

As I’ve said in the Alonso thread, IMO, he’s the only option. Anybody else is a distant second choice. 

Every word of this, except I am against De Zerbi. Not saying he isn't a good manager, I just don't see him as a Liverpool manager. 

Milner and Lallana both think he's incredible though apparently. 

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Every word of this, except I am against De Zerbi. Not saying he isn't a good manager, I just don't see him as a Liverpool manager. 

Milner and Lallana both think he's incredible though apparently. 

I get where you’re coming from about De Zerbi, I’ve been speaking to my mate at length and he thinks the same. 

If it doesn’t start well, Alonso will get unconditional support. I’m not saying De Zerbi won’t, he would just have to work harder to win sceptics over. 

Alonso is my clear, Clear, CLEAR 1st choice. De Zerbi is such a distant 2nd they are barely in the same race. 

The issue with De Zerbi is it would be a Rodgers type appointment. Someone who has won basically nothing and who has everything to prove. 

A large portion of the supporters would just not have him as a Klopp replacement, rightly or wrongly. Despite how talented he is as a manager. 

Perception should probably not be a criteria the club look at, though. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

The issue with De Zerbi is it would be a Rodgers type appointment. Someone who has won basically nothing and who has everything to prove. 

A large portion of the supporters would just not have him as a Klopp replacement, rightly or wrongly. Despite how talented he is as a manager. 

Rodgers, like De Zerbi is a good coach, not withstanding his deficiencies at set-pieces at corners and in Europe. His biggest weakness at Liverpool though, was his inability to manage players, manage upwards, manage the club and manage recruitment. 

De Zerbi hasnt proved his worth at any of those either. 

Alonso seems to have the personality, gravitas, confidence and experience to do this

I had absolutely no doubts about Klopp being right for us last time round, and I have absolutely no doubts about Xabi being right for the job now. Bit concerned by this talk of putting in a sporting director first.

37 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I get where you’re coming from about De Zerbi, I’ve been speaking to my mate at length and he thinks the same. 

If it doesn’t start well, Alonso will get unconditional support. I’m not saying De Zerbi won’t, he would just have to work harder to win sceptics over. 

Alonso is my clear, Clear, CLEAR 1st choice. De Zerbi is such a distant 2nd they are barely in the same race. 

Completely agree with all of that mate.

5 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

I had absolutely no doubts about Klopp being right for us last time round, and I have absolutely no doubts about Xabi being right for the job now. Bit concerned by this talk of putting in a sporting director first.

I don't believe that for a second. A sporting director will be appointed independent of the manager.