You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich (H) - FA Cup 4th Rnd - Sun 28th Jan 2024 (2:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

4th Round of the FA Cup then, in a game that is live on ITV if anyone wants to know. Early kick-off against a team managed by Jurgen's best mate David Wagner. For the past decade, Norwich have been a side that is strong in the Championship but out of their depth in the top flight. A yo-yo club by any definition, although last season ended in mid-table mediocrity rather than a bounce back to the Premier League. This season, they are just outside the play-off places so still well in contention. They must be hating that Ipswich have leapfrogged them, having had much the better of things probably since Ipswich themselves were relegated from the Premier League over 20 years ago. I had to look up their squad as I don't know who is there. I was surprised to learn that Teemu Pukki isn't at the club any more, given that he seems to have been around since the days of Goss, Fox and Sutton. Having seen none of them this season, I don't know what to expect from them really.

The two sides met at Anfield in the FA Cup 5th Round 2 years ago, on our way to lifting the trophy. It was one of those games where our opponents don't go full strength as they're more concerned about staving off relegation, and we don't go full strength because the fixtures are coming thick and fast. We played every game it was possible for us to play that season. The game finished 2-1 thanks to a first-half double from Taki. The first came when a cross from the left was controlled by Div and played into Taki's path to fire home. The second was a cracker, as Taki chested down a clearance from a corner and hammered a strike into the roof of the net from just inside the area. He'd scored a double in a League Cup tie at Carrow Road earlier in the season too, so Norwich must have been sick of the sight of him! The Canaries had a few half chances mainly due to us playing in second gear, and they got a late consolation but in truth, we were full value for the win which earned us a quarter final tie at Nottingham Forest.

The fringe players and the academy graduates have done extremely well in recent weeks as the squad has had to cope with a spate of injuries and a couple of international absences. We've seen Jarrell continue to show remarkable composure and concentration for a centre back of so little experience. Conor has been a whirlwind at right back, feisty in defence and a bundle of energy going forward. Joe has shown his versatility and displayed more reliability while filling in at left back. Diogo gets goals. Curtis has been one of the standout midfielders in the country. Robbo is now back. Trent and Dom are thought to be available as of this weekend. It's nice to have more options again. I can see a similar line-up to the one at Bournemouth last week. What we need in this game is a total absence of complacency, and instead look to make this a game where we rattle in loads of goals, and make Norwich think they are being bombarded by El Pistolero and Taki again. Motivation, concentration, attitude and application to be spot on from first minute to last. Next round please. Get it done!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I'm starting to enjoy our games again recently. Not because we're winning but because of the injury-enforced unpredictable nature of the starting 11. Never know who is starting or in what formation. Great to see the younger lads getting a start and really showing they've been worth selecting. I'll go 2-1 win. 

We're fuckin shite. 

Reckon this could see a real WTF line up.

The ridiculous situation where there are midweek PL games after it means we really do have to manage the squad carefully here - we may have some bodies returning this week, but yeah given the opposition and our circumstances this could be an interesting one.

Feel they will rotate a fair bit too as they have hands full trying to make play offs and we all know how busy the championship schedule is.

11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Pardon my optimism, but I think we're favourites to win this.

Bring Suarez in on loan (or give Darwin a set of comedy teeth) and goal them to bits.

Or scrape a 90th minute 1-0.

Either way, just get these beat, Reds.

I also hope for a scrape in 90th minute. Any update now?

16 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Pardon my optimism, but I think we're favourites to win this.

Bring Suarez in on loan (or give Darwin a set of comedy teeth) and goal them to bits.

Or scrape a 90th minute 1-0.

Either way, just get these beat, Reds.

This. 

I got the impression from the presser (probably wrongly) that Wagner and Klopp have agreed to play weakened sides. We will for sure but jurgen said how difficult the championship is and they had spoken about workload 

1 minute ago, Barnesey said:

I got the impression from the presser (probably wrongly) that Wagner and Klopp have agreed to play weakened sides. We will for sure but jurgen said how difficult the championship is and they had spoken about workload 

Yeah, I think a lot of the kids who were around the squad this week will get games, plus anyone who might need minutes. I think robbo & Dom will get some time. Gakpo will start as he's been off the bench. And Ali as he's not played too much football in January. But I think Bradley, Beck, quansah, clarke and Gordon will all start. Konate and Gomez might share 45 each. With being in the league cup final already, you have to assume selection will be all about weds and Sunday. 

Hopefully we can still get the win with that type of set up, as with arsenal already being out and a few all prem ties, the oath to the final in this one could be very achievable too. 

Norwich are currently number 8 in the Championship, they have 12 wins, 5 draws and 12 losses, away from home they have 4 wins, 3 draws and 8 losses.

Their best and most dangerous player is the 20 year old attacking wide player Jonathan Rowe, he can play both left and right, but he is far more effective on the right and has scored 7 of his 13 goals from that position. 

Just get them beat, we have a quadruple to win. 

IMG_9854.jpeg

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

My brother-in-law is a Norwich fan and he says he'll need an abacus to keep score unless their defence is vastly better than it has been.

Sargent and Rowe are both out, so that should blunt their attack a bit.

I reckon Anfield will be especially noisy after Klopp's announcement.

There's a chance we might win this.