You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Newcastle 2 (Jan 1 2024)

image.jpeg

Putting aside the frustrations of us need a million chances to score one goal, there was so much to feel good about from this performance. It’s probably the best we’ve played all season and the only thing lacking was the bucketload of goals we should have had. The fact that this game was still somewhat in the balance until Mo’s late penalty is infuriating, particularly in light of other recent games in which we’ve had thirty odd shots and still struggled to convert them.

Statistically there are probably quite a few similarities with the United game. Certainly we had a similar number of shots against the mancs, albeit nowhere near as many on target and the XG won’t be remotely comparable. The wider point though is that too often we need to create a lot of chances to score the goals that we should be scoring, but this felt different to me. I don’t think the finishing was too bad for the most part. We didn’t do much wrong and a lot of the time the keeper was making terrific saves. He had the game of his life and he’s the reason we didn’t get double figures. It’s partly down to below par finishing, but mostly it’s just one of those nights when too many shots are within the keeper’s reach and he gets to show off by making a load of saves.

We were great though. In fairness, I think Newcastle showed in limited opportunities that they were in decent shape themselves. I thought they played quite well when they were allowed to. They weren’t really allowed to very often though, because we absolutely smothered them. The tempo, intensity and pressing was great for pretty much the entire game, aside from a 10 minute lull before half time which I blame entirely on that twat Anthony Taylor. I’ll get to him in due course.

You can tell when we’ve played really well by how animated and excited Klopp is in his post match interviews, and he was fucking beaming after this. He said afterwards something along the lines of “some people say I’m not a good example for grass roots football but maybe they can show the video of this game to grass roots to show them how to counter-press”. I didn’t get onto it immediately, but it was that snivelling little Saudi shill Howe who said Klopp wasn’t setting a good example. He’s defo having a little jibe at Beheddie there. Love that.

When we counter press like that we’re a nightmare to play against. That was our identity, it’s why everyone hated playing against us. We lost it for various reasons but it’s back now. Not every game, we’re still a work in progress and besides, it’s impossible to play with that kind of maniacal intensity in every match. What we need is for it to be there when we need it.

I’ll tell you something. If we’d played like this against the mancs the other week then another 7-0 wouldn’t have been out of the question. Newcastle are in a terrible run and they’ve got a lot of problems currently, but this performance was way better than what we saw from Ten Jarg and his band of fucking losers. It’s just a shame we didn’t perform like this against them.

Right from the start we were on top of Newcastle. That first half was brilliant, the only thing missing was a goal but it wasn’t for the lack of trying.

View full article

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

"Gakpo made it 3-1 when he scuffed his volley from a ridiculous cross by Mo. This is what I’m talking about with Nunez. He’d have struck that as clean as a whistle and it would have hit the keeper. Gakpo almost missed the ball completely which fooled the keeper and gave him no chance."

Except the ones where he misses his kick completely (Fulham) or blazes them over the bar from 2 yards out (Luton)

Most seasons we are chasing City saying looks like we will have to win at the Emptihad 

Couple more games where they don't close that gap? They will be thinking we are going to have to win at Anfield... not often we have any advantage over them.

• Like 1

Another annoying aspect of the Joelinton non-booking was that there was barely any advantage to be had. Their back line were set, with reinforcements arriving and the momentum had stalled. And Joelinton left a sly, late foot in on Konate only a few minutes later, which he also could have been booked for. 

IMG_2682.jpeg

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Chris said:

"Gakpo made it 3-1 when he scuffed his volley from a ridiculous cross by Mo. This is what I’m talking about with Nunez. He’d have struck that as clean as a whistle and it would have hit the keeper. Gakpo almost missed the ball completely which fooled the keeper and gave him no chance."

Except the ones where he misses his kick completely (Fulham) or blazes them over the bar from 2 yards out (Luton)

Or the one at Burnley where he side foots it into the bottom corner from the edge if the area.

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Maybe he should have hit the ball against the post with such force that it would spin back into the net. So much better than just bundling the ball in at close range like Gakpo did.

In fairness, the teeing up of Mo for the first goal earned Darwin a lot of credit for me. I'd like to see him take penalties while Mo is away, the one he scored against LASK was far more accomplished than anything Mo has ever tried.

• Upvote 1

Great report as usual.

we were very good, they were good too up front but their back four is so slow no wonder they leak so many goals.

Salah’s going to the AFCON is a strong challenge for the other forwards. They will have to step in and get the goals going.

Great time to be a red again, isn’t it ?

• Upvote 4

Spot on about Howe and his deflecting. The NUFC Board has two or three pivotal roles, one of which is to make sure that they have the best person available in the most important position at the club, the manager. Howe knows he has three pivotal games coming up, and while I don’t think he will be dismissed if they lose them, if they do the NUFC Board will rightly come to the conclusion that he’s not the person to take them into next season – unless Howe can somehow point to extraneous factors such as refereeing howlers and injuries. The injuries stuff doesn’t get him far because the line-up on Monday was a good one and they played well at times, and, as has been noted, if he had been more tactically savvy in how he used Gordon they would have been more threatening. They have lost all their recent games against Liverpool by being out-thought tactically and that won’t have gone unnoticed. I wouldn’t miss Howe and certainly wouldn’t miss that wanker of an assistant manager. 

• Upvote 4

Newcastle fan on the radio after the game said he doesn't want Howe to go and hopes he can get through the next few games. O'Hara and Ruddock whipping it up and saying 'yeah but if he does lose his next three and gets sacked go who would you go for".

Newcastle fan: "I don't want him to go but if he does then I'd go for Pep Guardiola".

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

I'd like to see him take penalties while Mo is away, the one he scored against LASK was far more accomplished than anything Mo has ever tried.

My heart couldn't take it. Let Macca do it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DaveT said:

Another annoying aspect of the Joelinton non-booking was that there was barely any advantage to be had. Their back line were set, with reinforcements arriving and the momentum had stalled. And Joelinton left a sly, late foot in on Konate only a few minutes later, which he also could have been booked for. 

IMG_2682.jpeg

Remind that 2 seconds and Joelinton and the lad behind him are the wrong side of Szoboszlai. That is a 4v4 attack as opposed to 3v6 that Taylor. Its a clear a yellow card has there has been since the introduction of yellow cards.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Newcastle fan on the radio after the game said he doesn't want Howe to go and hopes he can get through the next few games. O'Hara and Ruddock whipping it up and saying 'yeah but if he does lose his next three and gets sacked go who would you go for".

Newcastle fan: "I don't want him to go but if he does then I'd go for Pep Guardiola".

probably less outlandish that guardiola going to City

2 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

Their keeper said it was a pen, why is there any debate about it; and it should have been a red card; the clearest denial of a goal scoring opportunity you willever see

I think the rule now is that a foul in the penalty area that denies a goal scoring opportunity is only a yellow card if the offending player was trying to play the ball, otherwise it is a red card, but these days who knows...

5 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

Their keeper said it was a pen

I don't think that's what he was saying. He admitted clipping him and said "I don't have to agree but it's a penalty" or something along those lines, which I took as him saying "doesn't matter what I think, the ref gave it so it's a penalty".

A much better performance overall than of late, which sounds daft considering we’re top and by a couple of points

This game was another where I felt there was still some room for improvement.

Perhaps comparing us with our pomp in 2019-21 is unfair, but the point made that our press was back to a level which made us the team to avoid is a better guideline to where we have to be, and it was there in this game, where we forced the pace rather than stroked the ball backwards and forwards as we have in recent games.

Both Newcastle goals were disappointing for different reasons. The ease at which Gordon broke through on our right for the first was scandalous given he was double teamed by Trent and Dominic and the way that Botman got up above all our tall defenders and a 6’2” keeper to head home was poor.

I’ve said it before, Allison is a great keeper, yet Botman heads that in from 6 yds out with Allison on his line. There are no Newcastle players blocking him off. So I can’t understand why he isn’t out there punching that away with the advantage he has with his height, presence and arm length. 
Maybe I’m being overly critical and fair enough if that’s what you think, but we’re probably looking at being near perfect to win this league and sketchy defending and missed goal scoring opportunities will catch us out, probably against teams that we won’t expect them to.
Having said that, I wouldn’t have expected us to be in this position at the start of the season, yet here we are, and I think the title is there for the taking as I’m not certain City will do their usual runaway unbeaten run, given how they have played this season so far either. 
We scored good goals and there were top performances from almost everyone, Jota is back, Mac too and Diaz looked effective, if Nunez can put the finishing touches to his play, we may not miss Mo as much as is thought, and it could keep us ahead of the field. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DaveT said:

One disappointment on an otherwise outstanding night was how easily Gordon hit away from Trent and Don for their first, almost a carbon copy of Ake at City.

Painful to write but Gordon is turning into a good player.

• Downvote 1

Great stuff.

And a great example of a Freudian slip: "When Longstaff went down in the box after cheating a ball down and running across Endo."

Exactly right.  Along with the jumping backwards into an opponent who is jumping for a header, this is a classic Harry Kane cheat move to gain a penalty.

Running onto a ball dropping over the head of a full back and falling across the opponent nearly always gets you a pen.  I could see it unfolding as I've seen it so many times.  Taylor didn't fall for it, though which is amazing.  It's never a penalty in a million years as there's not enough contact.

Bonus feature: because he hit the deck, Longstaff was then 10 yards behind Curtis running back, and couldn't make up the ground as Curtis slotted in.

Howe lets himself down every time nowadays.  His team were given a hammering and he focuses on that non-penalty incident.  Just hold your hands up, lad - you were battered.

• dave u unpinned this topic