You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AUDIO RELEASED:

Nelly-Szoboszlai

Miguel Delaney article in The Independent states that we might have a viable route to requesting a replay under UEFA procedures which allow for a game to be replayed when there has been an incorrect application of the laws of the game. 

Not sure the club will pursue it though and any such request needs to be made within 12 hours of the end of the game. It was the procedure which Roma instigated after they had a penalty awarded and then reversed against us in the UEFA Cup. 

42 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

the former no more a sackable offence as we see weekly from the refs. 

I would say the uproar proves it is certainly not something you see every week - that's the point.

I think it exactly proves my point. The fact such simple human error could result in such a seemingly impossible outcome is the result of the lack of professionalism and procedures within the VAR environment. Webb is responsible for that. 

I'll give you a real life example. A mate of mine many years ago used to run a team of around 40 engineers for a company (which will remain nameless, but a blue chip name) where his team was spread across 4 or 5 locations in the UK. They had an internal chat channel the communicated on - a little like how people would use slack or teams now, except it was in-house built. And all recorded. While this was supposed to be for work only, the team used it for "banter" type stuff, some footy type things, some piss taking etc. 

One day one of his team say something massively inappropriate on the chat and someone reports it to HR. The guys defence was he was just having a laugh and was sorry if he offended, but it's the type of thing they chat about. So HR pulled 3 separate months of chat over 3 years. In it they found 2 other people had said things out of line. This is what happened. The first guy who got complained about got a written warning. The other 2 guys got a verbal warning. My mate, despite doing nothing wrong in the chat, was fired for allowing the culture to exist. He owned the channel and all within it was on him. Webb should be no different. The buck stops with the boss. All England did was behave and perform in way that highlight an individual error to a scale like we haven't seen before. The issue here in the inherent lack of professionalism within PGMOL, not one guy making a mistake. 

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, I just don’t think it will happen. 

The view will be that Webb is this countries best ever official (HA!) and he’s the right man to turn it around. It’s a fight we won’t win. 

We’ve all heard the audio now & process is being reviewed. Hopefully harsh lessons are learned and it never happens again to any side, especially to us! 

I genuinely don’t see what more we can achieve with it. We’ve made our points and highlighted what a set of bozo’s they are on a global stage. 

Time to move on. Turn the negatives into positives etc. 

Oh, I am not saying it will happen. I just think that's what our goal should be. We need to make every club in the PL believe that Howard Webb is damaging the PL product. Which it has this last week. I think it's very interesting klopp made a point of saying he doesn't want the officials punished. 

As for Webb being our best ref, regardless.of if he was or wasn't,.doesn't mean he makes it as a manager, in just the same way being a good football player doesn't make you a good football manager. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't have any problem with sacking Webb. Or England.

In fact the guy who should definitely get the bullet is the fuckin lino who did exactly the opposite of what he is supposed to do (and what they have consistently been doing since VAR was introduced) in that situation.

I thought they were supposed to put the flag up if they thought it was offside once play stops or the offending player is no longer going directly toward goal. 

49 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think the sequence is something like "check complete", "that's perfect", "off". Within barely a second of them saying off, the referee restarts the game. 

That is my thought too. He's paying so little attention to what is happening, he thinks Romero is offside. 

The more I view it the more Im convinced thats what actually happened. It adds context to everything both VAR idiots say after. They think its a clear offside hence why they go for check complete then seem so perplexed when its questioned- theyve literally just proved it with the lines

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought they were supposed to put the flag up if they thought it was offside once play stops or the offending player is no longer going directly toward goal. 

I don't know what they are "supposed" to do - only that he flagged immediately in a situation where play has gone on, and not been flagged, countless times (read every time) over the last few seasons.

8 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Agree. 

There will have been loads of decisions like this over the years, we are just the first club to highlight it. 

To add to this,

Literally the whole game changes if we go 1-0 up. 

We might have decided to go more defensive and held on for a 1-0 win.

Spurs would have changed their tactics and subs too if they'd been 1-0 down.

we may not have had the 2nd red card as the game would have unfolded completely differently, and then with 10 players, clobbered them 3-0, so the argument could be made that a 2-2 draw is not a punishment for them at all.

All speculation of course. I just feel robbed is all, and I’m still mad.

I see Jurgen is calling for a replay.

There are lots of things that are perfectly justified in terms of being proposed.

One thing I'd say is undeniably right is asking for a clear and unconditional apology. The PGMOL has made respect an essential part of its core values, and yet it's behaved in an almost comically resistant manner in regard to such values. 'I acknowledge an error'. What the fuck are you talking about? Just say 'I apologise'. Plain and simple. They are so absurdly pompous and patronising, and this shows it. I don't see any reason why all the apologists for these incompetent idiots (and clearly a muscle memory kicks in along with a reptilian smirk) can't at least accept that a simple apology shouldn't be forthcoming.

• Upvote 1