You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which non LFC Player Would You Have Liked to Have Seen Play for us?

VladimirIlyich

On 13/09/2023 at 09:00, Paul said:

As I said on the pod, Roy Keane. If we’d had him in the 90s, Roy Evans would’ve won the league and who knows where that would’ve taken us?

Defo Keane, would we have won the league ? I don’t know as we were always ‘one player’ away. If anyone could have been the one it was Keane for all the reasons described on the POD. All the more frustrating as we did go for Clough and Ince, his midfield partners, who absolutely weren’t the one.

plus if he didn’t go to the Mancs that may well change their history too.

14 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I mentioned Gary Mabbutt in my choices as I admired him because he is a type 1 Diabetic and my late Dad was too. Therefore I understand the sacrifices and the problems he must have had to even play the game. I read a strange story about him having his toes or part of his foot chewed off by a rat while camping in Kruger National Park in South Africa. He didn't feel anything because of his Diabetic Neuropathy. 

i remember we were on the brink of signing him at 1 point and it fell through

20 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

Defo Keane, would we have won the league ? I don’t know as we were always ‘one player’ away. If anyone could have been the one it was Keane for all the reasons described on the POD. All the more frustrating as we did go for Clough and Ince, his midfield partners, who absolutely weren’t the one.

plus if he didn’t go to the Mancs that may well change their history too.

im not sure evans would have managed him tbh

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah but the song would have been shit. 

Oh me Muchachos, you should see Kun Aguero
When he goes the Asda he buys a fucking Aero
All the muchachos and all the muchachas with smiles upon their faces 
Carry him down Scottie Road
To play for Kenny's aces 

That's absolutely horrific. Repped. 

I think we did go for aguero, didn't we? There was a lot of talk about it when we played them in the Europa (when him and mascherano went at each other's shins like best mates in the schoolyard). Think that's when city came in and blew us out the water in terms of wages.

Desailly has been mentioned a lot. He was only linked around the time he moved to Chelsea in 1998. He was 30 years old at the time and wasn't the same player that had dominated at Marseille and Milan (in midfield and at the back). He was still classy but didn't seem to have the same hunger.

Jaap Stam moved to United that summer. He was only 26 at the time and was a monster of a centre back and a big personality. He was still playing in Champions League finals 7 years later.  He was exactly what we needed at the time, but we couldn't even choose one manager. 

23 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

John Robertson rep. 

That he once told me I had a “cracking left foot” remains one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. 

Beautiful that Yorkshire!

What a player he was. That Forest team were terrific but he was a level above top team mates. 

Struck me the amount of great Scottish players there were. I mean if there was a joint England/Scotland team of greats, the Scots might have 7. Actually incredible they weren't perennial quarter finalists/semi finalists/finalists? when you think of how incredible their talent pool was. I mean the greatest spine in our history was Scottish. 

An all time Scotland, Wales and the two Irelands would be fabulous come to think of it. A thread for Bjornebye to work on!

• Upvote 2