You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buy Gold

Jurgen Knows

14 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Once I bought Gold by Spandau Ballet. 

Fairly interesting titbit.In their acrimonious court case a few years ago the lawyers of 80s band Spandau Ballet explained since they stopped making music their main form of income was from the Olympic games were broadcasters around the world would play their smash hit 'Gold' when a competitor won the top prize. Unfortunately as the Olympic games are only once every four years the royalties were not enough to sustain all bandmates and songwriters. 

On hearing this explanation it comes to mind if the band had also written songs called, 'Silver' and  'Oh dear i'm afraid its only going to be the bronze..' they would have upped their royalty earnings considerably and thus avoided a costly court case. Although I like the band this lack of foresight means they gain no sympathy from me. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Fairly interesting titbit.In their acrimonious court case a few years ago the lawyers of 80s band Spandau Ballet explained since they stopped making music their main form of income was from the Olympic games were broadcasters around the world would play their smash hit 'Gold' when a competitor won the top prize. Unfortunately as the Olympic games are only once every four years the royalties were not enough to sustain all bandmates and songwriters. 

On hearing this explanation it comes to mind if the band had also written songs called, 'Silver' and  'Oh dear i'm afraid its only going to be the bronze..' they would have upped their royalty earnings considerably and thus avoided a costly court case. Although I like the band this lack of foresight means they gain no sympathy from me. 

As I recall, they were always the sharpest-dressed band around.  Then Martin and Gary left and they were unkempt.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

I'd noticed this lot advertising along the sides of motorways and genuinely thought it said "buillon". Got me thinking how is there decent enough money to be made in mail order vegetable stock for them to afford motorway advertising.

Until I was in a traffic queue and read it properly. 

FXT6601265475_817651.png_wiki-template-global.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I don't think that there's true.

Huh huh huh hu-uh huh.

Back in ‘49, as an 18 year old Merchant Cadet, my Dad was in Hamburg. He needed a sextant as he was studying navigation. He found one for sale in a private advert in a Hamburg newspaper. There was an address. He went there, and was greeted by a war widow. Yes, the sextant was for sale, and if he was interested, some war memorabilia. She was living in a hovel with no money - like so many. He offered to buy the sextant and a German Iron Cross with oak leaves caught his eye. She didn’t want it. She wanted nothing to do with the war. I can only imagine the personal tragedy of the family.

Anyway, the point. He asked about a price for both, prepared to pay well. She didn’t want money, because it had bugger all value. She wanted.........coffee. Coffee was the currency of a bombed out Hamburg 4 yrs after the war. Not gold.

Dad returned to the ship and bought a case of coffee off the Purser, who was doing a pretty good trade on the ship’s extra supply specifically for this trip. 

And that’s why In amongst my family’s war medals, which now belong to me, is an Iron Cross with Oak Leaves.

• Upvote 6