You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jul 10-15 2023)

tlw content

image.jpeg

Monday Jul 10:

Newcastle want to move Saint-Maximin on so they can bring in Barnes from Leicester. This is interesting because even without the Newcastle link he looks like a player that the Saudis would be all over. If they do move for him though, what is the fee going to be? They could artificially inflate it by 20m if they wanted and there’s fuck all the Premier League will do about it. This is where we’re at now, everything is murky as fuck. Like City making a profit every transfer window by selling kids no-one has even heard of to Southampton.

Meanwhile, Colwill says he wants to play and that will determine what he does next. I think he’s got more chance of breaking into the Chelsea team than ours for weekend games, but Chelsea aren’t in Europe and we are so that helps us. Someone like him would start every Europa game and that then provides a platform to show what he can do.

Our Europa League team next season could be a lot of fun for a promising young player. Bradley, Chambers, Jones, Elliott, Gordon, Bajcetic, Doak plus a few of the senior lads who aren’t playing at the weekend. That’s a decent selling point to any young player we go for. If Pochettino says he’s building his new defence around him though then Colwill probably isn’t going anywhere.

Elsewhere, Divock is a reported target for Gerrard and his Saudi team. He may as well go there and get paid because his football career ended when he left us. I don’t know why, but Origi only functions as a footballer when he’s got the Liverbird on his kit. He was shit whenever we loaned him out, and he’s been shite for Milan. With us though? I mean, the guy has scored some of the most iconic and most important goals in the history of the fucking club. And it’s a club with incredible history.

For him to have written his name in Anfield folklore while doing absolutely fuck all for any other club he played for is quite the thing. I fucking love Divock Origi.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic
On 17/07/2023 at 16:10, sir roger said:

I long ago stopped expecting players to be moral guardians. Not sure how it has happened that politicians are almost expected to be corrupt, while sportsmen are expected to be whiter than white. Get £ 12m or so and wave him goodbye.

Me too. However, when a player actually puts himself forward as a moral guardian, that's a totally different thing. 

• Upvote 1

Thinking about the current candidates to take the armband has me worried, not gonna lie. Agreed, don't want Virg - who often needs to be on the end of a rocket rather than delivering one. Mo and Alisson are just too nice, simple as that. Trent probably gets my vote but I wouldn't be overly enamoured. There is not one stand out.

I'm absolutely gutted we've lost our 2 standard setters to be honest (reasons aside). Wouldn't have achieved what we have without them 2 running the dressing room. The squad now reminds of old Arsenal ones. Loads of talent, but no balls, no leaders. I guess we'll see. Here's hoping some step up.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

10 hours ago, terry symes said:

Thinking about the current candidates to take the armband has me worried, not gonna lie. Agreed, don't want Virg - who often needs to be on the end of a rocket rather than delivering one. Mo and Alisson are just too nice, simple as that. Trent probably gets my vote but I wouldn't be overly enamoured. There is not one stand out.

I'm absolutely gutted we've lost our 2 standard setters to be honest (reasons aside). Wouldn't have achieved what we have without them 2 running the dressing room. The squad now reminds of old Arsenal ones. Loads of talent, but no balls, no leaders. I guess we'll see. Here's hoping some step up.

That's definitely a concern, some are going to need to step up. I'm looking to Trent to be the one to do that.

The hope is that even without the 2 generals, the culture has been set and the leadership group steps up and holds each other to those standards.

Agree there's absolutely no way James Milner walks out that door if we know Henderson is also off.

19 hours ago, Pidge said:

It should be Virgil, with Robbo as vice and Trent being given an outline of how he is next in line. Virgil leads the defensive line and was the third captain last season. One of our best players and a leader.

It has to be him because he'd completely see his arse if it wasn't and then he'd be no good to us.

• dave u unpinned this topic