You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

11 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Ramsay isn't a loss until Trent picks up an injury for 12 games. Then who is at right back? And why exactly did we spend 10m on him last season given we are always bitching and moaning about being so broke?

Conor fucking Bradley. The Northern Ireland regular right back who just won Player and Young Player of the season at Bolton. A lad who is probably more advanced than Ramsey right now.

1 minute ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Conor fucking Bradley. The Northern Ireland regular right back who just won Player and Young Player of the season at Bolton. A lad who is probably more advanced than Ramsey right now.

Or Gomez. 

17 hours ago, Elite said:

We'll end up with Andre 3000, he's a bit of an outkast at his club.

At least John Henry can recycle the lyrics for his next apology video

Never meant to make supporters cry

I apologise a trillion times

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I love it when this argument is bandied about because my immediate question is, how did we fare last season?

That's the exact point. We have had a shite squad for years. The whole point of a 'rebuild' is that you ship the shite eating up your wage bill and replace them with players who actually contribute towards you winning trophies. I'm not hoping the club buys another Naby Keita so I don't know why people keep mentioning his minutes.

Phillips, Williams, VDB not being a loss is also very reductive, they aren't a loss if VVD and Konate are completely injury free all season. Konate loves an injury and VVD is aging. I agree that those players aren't the ones that would be our saviors in that scenario, but the whole point is that you buy players who can be.

Ramsay isn't a loss until Trent picks up an injury for 12 games. Then who is at right back? And why exactly did we spend 10m on him last season given we are always bitching and moaning about being so broke?

It's not about the players that have been shipped out, it's the (lack of) active work we have done to rebuild the squad in parallel. We've been caught on the hop with Fab and Hendo, and this is exactly why you get your players in early, so you have the bandwidth to react to stuff like this. But we continue to be either supremely arrogant and/or inept when it comes to squad planning.

We now need to bring in two midfielders (one nailed on starter) and a LCB as a bare minimum. Three players to buy and just over three weeks until our first game, good fucking luck with that Liverpool FC.

Eh?

I don’t know what your job is, in mine we use past performance to try and predict future performance. Although not 100% accurate, it generally gives a reasonable expectation of how things will go. 

For example, Keita was constantly injured, he’s unreliable, you can’t trust him to available in the future. 

We’ve signed 2 players with very good injury records. Although there might be some occurrence where it isn’t in future, we can likely assume they will be available for the majority of games last season. 

Last season was incredibly disappointing, undebatable. However, there was a significant upwards trend at the end of the season that we weren’t as bad as we were showing. 

Ramsey, Phillips, Williams and VDB being no loss isn’t reductive. 327 mins / 4 games between 4 players. Klopp and team clearly don’t view to be good enough (currently or never will be) and they’ve been / are being moved on. 

Bradley, Morton and Quansah all had productive loan periods last season. Klopp and team seem to want to have a closer look at them. I’m not sure they’ll be around the first team squad come the end of the window, they’ve all earned the chance to prove themselves in pre-season. Bajectic took his chance last season, they should be afforded the same opportunity. 

I fully know that this will be pounced on by the usual masochists (HAHAHA HOW REVISIONIST, FLIP FLAPPING, ANYTHING TO GOBBLE HENRY…. and other such hilarious zingers) but what is the point in having an academy if we aren’t going to give players the opportunity to prove themselves when we don’t have any competitive games?

TAA was thrown in the deep end at Old Trafford and look at him now. Jones has taken longer and is now hopefully on course to be a regular first team squad member. Elliott still has a bit to learn, nobody can deny there isn’t a talented player in there. 

I realise this is deemed riskier than buying somebody established, isn’t the preferred solution to come from inside?

It’s up to the players. If they don’t take their opportunity, we look elsewhere.

Given all the rumours, I suspect we’ll still end up buying players. There isn’t 3 weeks to go, there is > 7. 

And as for “we’ve had a shite squad for years”….if you say so. 

Instead of complaining about the numbers that have left, has anybody actually bothered to see what players we have who are actually still at the club and available? 

• Upvote 1

I think we certainly need to think about who's filling in for Nat Phillips. He might have only played a few games, but our players at centre back are very injury prone except vvd. That's why Phillips had to play..and that's when we still had fabinho who could fill in. I don't really see anyone around the squad who can do that. And as far as I know there's no new centre backs coming through from the academy. 

I’m pretty certain it won’t be Colwill, but if we’re not getting a centre back then that is insane from us. Van Dijk isn’t going to suddenly regain his 2019 form. 

I want us to get a left sided Konate equivalent and get Van Dijk comfortable with playing right centre back occasionally. Diminished as he is I’d still trust him more than Matip or Gomez, but he’s only ever played left centre back for us. 

Also, and this is a pipe dream, having a new left centre back and using Van Dijk as the right would let us use Konate as a purely defensive right back. Which means we could keep Robbo / Kostas as attacking from left back, and move Trent into midfield permanently. 

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I love it when this argument is bandied about because my immediate question is, how did we fare last season?

That's the exact point. We have had a shite squad for years. The whole point of a 'rebuild' is that you ship the shite eating up your wage bill and replace them with players who actually contribute towards you winning trophies. I'm not hoping the club buys another Naby Keita so I don't know why people keep mentioning his minutes.

Phillips, Williams, VDB not being a loss is also very reductive, they aren't a loss if VVD and Konate are completely injury free all season. Konate loves an injury and VVD is aging. I agree that those players aren't the ones that would be our saviors in that scenario, but the whole point is that you buy players who can be.

It's not about the players that have been shipped out, it's the (lack of) active work we have done to rebuild the squad in parallel. We've been caught on the hop with Fab and Hendo, and this is exactly why you get your players in early, so you have the bandwidth to react to stuff like this. But we continue to be either supremely arrogant and/or inept when it comes to squad planning.

We now need to bring in two midfielders (one nailed on starter) and a LCB as a bare minimum. Three players to buy and just over three weeks until our first game, good fucking luck with that Liverpool FC.

Ramsay cost £4m plus a possible £2.5m in add-ons, so £4m, not 10m. He is a project player like Carvalho, Elliott, Solanke, Brewster, VdBerg etc., where you buy young and if they don’t make it here, you flip them for a profit. It has been a successful strategy, for the most part. 

If we lose Henderson and Fabinho and get in just one more midfielder we will have 8 for 3 positions (or 9 for 4 if Trent is included in the box mf). This differs to last season because the two incomings are robust and while the 3rd has not yet been signed, I presume it will be a prerequisite. If we buy a DM and he starts in the first team, I'd be surprised if any other club will have the numbers and quality on the bench that we will have in Thiago, Jones, Bajcetic and Elliott (Gakpo has also played as a 10). Or am I missing something? 

I agree totally that we need a new defender, I think we need two, especially if we are going with a 3 at the back. Is Kostas worth keeping in that scenario, and if we will be playing 433 in the Europa, Bradley needs to be ready to start at RB?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So you don't recall any examples where our owners left us high and dry?

You’re going to say….

20/21 - We sold Lovren and didn’t replace him. We the then had injuries to VVD, Matip & Gomez. We didn’t address in January.

21/22 - We went into the season an attacker short. 

22/23 - We didn’t address midfield issues.

I’m going to say…

20/21 - In hindsight, Lovren should have been replaced. Nobody knows why we didn’t why we didn’t sort in the January. My suspicion is we wanted Konate, he was injured and then we got them in the CL. 

21/22 - Performance that season wasn’t hampered by lack of attacker. We signed Diaz anyway.

22/23 - A well trodden path. We failed for Tchouameni, we signed Nunez, waited for Bellingham and failed. We didn’t address in January and signed another attacker in Gakpo. Klopp needs to take some responsibility as well.

…We’ll go round and round and round in circles and have zero desire to get into it.

33 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we certainly need to think about who's filling in for Nat Phillips. He might have only played a few games, but our players at centre back are very injury prone except vvd. That's why Phillips had to play..and that's when we still had fabinho who could fill in. I don't really see anyone around the squad who can do that. And as far as I know there's no new centre backs coming through from the academy. 

Bajcetic can play there, was a CB until moved further up the pitch.

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

You’re going to say….

20/21 - We sold Lovren and didn’t replace him. We the then had injuries to VVD, Matip & Gomez. We didn’t address in January.

21/22 - We went into the season an attacker short. 

22/23 - We didn’t address midfield issues.

I’m going to say…

20/21 - In hindsight, Lovren should have been replaced. Nobody knows why we didn’t why we didn’t sort in the January. My suspicion is we wanted Konate, he was injured and then we got them in the CL. 

21/22 - Performance that season wasn’t hampered by lack of attacker. We signed Diaz anyway.

22/23 - A well trodden path. We failed for Tchouameni, we signed Nunez, waited for Bellingham and failed. We didn’t address in January and signed another attacker in Gakpo. Klopp needs to take some responsibility as well.

…We’ll go round and round and round in circles and have zero desire to get into it.

There you go! Thats why it would be genuinely hilarious if they did it again. 

6 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Saudis must have had the nod about CL entry. Otherwise whats the point in this spending, to play each other in Saudi?

Yeah, like the golf it will reach a point where they will probably get a spot at the table with European football. Just don't know how or in what format.