You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

If he had cost 30ml it wouldn't be such a issue but he cost a fortune and has shown little to justify the fee. The drop off from Salah/Mane and Bobby in their pomp to the current 5 is massive. We don't look anywhere near a balance side these days

I like when Darwin starts because his ability to beat the defense through the middle is something none of our other forwards can do regularly (except Mo probably but then you lose him on the right and his pace is definitely not what it was over the full 90 anyway). I don’t watch a lot of Uruguay so I’m sure what I do see is biased because they’re highlights but his finishing looks a lot more composed for them. Chances he misses for us he seems to finish clinically for them. I think a lot of it is nerves to be honest but he’s only 24 so in theory just starting to enter his prime years. Physically he’s got the tools, he just needs to calm down when through on goal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

Funny thing is, when he played against us for benfica, I honestly thought he was one of the best finishers I'd seen in recent memory, every shot was on target, and generally into the corners. 

This. 
He chipped Alisson from inside the box in the game at Anfield, when neither of them realised he’d been flagged offside and I thought, “this fella is the real deal”.

I understand why patience is wearing thin, however he’s not the only one to have missed an easy chance today, both Salah and Haaland did too, but he needs to start converting the ones that come his way more often before it costs us dearly.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

This. 
He chipped Alisson from inside the box in the game at Anfield, when neither of them realised he’d been flagged offside and I thought, “this fella is the real deal”.

I understand why patience is wearing thin, however he’s not the only one to have missed an easy chance today, both Salah and Haaland did too, but he needs to start converting the ones that come his way more often before it costs us dearly.

Not seen haaland, but in our game, Salah's was the worst miss today by some distance. But it happens. I'm really finding it difficult to understand why so many think players don't miss easy chances. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Not seen haaland, but in our game, Salah's was the worst miss today by some distance. But it happens. I'm really finding it difficult to understand why so many think players don't miss easy chances. 

Players who rack up the goals get more leeway when they miss easy chances. Nunez is perpetually one goal away from starting a massive goal streak and then he doesn't. 

He’s been electric this season generally IMO so I’m not having these fanny hysterics because his finishing is still erratic, when there’s a point between us and Man City in December. Let’s judge his overall value to the side at the end of the season because at the moment I think Klopp thinks our attack is better for him being in it.

35 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

This. 

He also had an unbelievable volley into the bottom corner, saved miraculously by alisson in the home leg. 

I was quite a big critic of Nunez in his early months, and I think he’s improved massively since being with us. However I think he is a bit of a microcosm of where we are at as an all round team at the moment. A lot of potential and a massive ceiling there but also frustratingly inconsistent and the ability to blow really hot and cold. 

I was sat watching that today looking at a number of players thinking, they’re probably a couple of years away from being where we need to be to genuinely challenge city in the way that we have previously. Gravenberch, Sobozlai, Nunez, Macallister, Gakpo, the younger players like Elliot and Jones even potentially Diaz are just not quite consistent enough to be top draw at the moment. That’s not to say they won’t become that, but it’s just not quite there yet.

I still think when it comes to the crunch this season we will fall short, but that’s ok if we are developing as a team. A league cup and a Europa league would help in that process massively. 

I could do without the cheerleading to the crowd after he’s missed a chance though. Just focus on putting the ball in the net son. 

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Players who rack up the goals get more leeway when they miss easy chances. Nunez is perpetually one goal away from starting a massive goal streak and then he doesn't. 

But this is still part of the whole problem with the stick the lad gets. He might never be world class and everyone calls him a bag of shite because he's not world class. He's a tremendous footballer and has been really influential in our team's progression this season. Maybe he'll make the step like Suarez did from doing plenty but hitting the woodwork as much as the net and then go on to be a great scorer. Maybe he won't. Either way he's a good asset to our side - which currently sits a point ahead of the current English and European champions coming into Christmas, who apparently have the greatest striker to have ever played the game. 

6 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

look at the assurance/ variety and quality of the finishing from a former number 9 of ours. I just can’t see Darwin producing this on any consistent basis as much as I like him.

Why does what Torres could do matter? We could all show clips of all kinds of forwards. None of them would matter either. We have a lad who's contributing to our success. We'd all like to see his finishing improve, but he's playing a real part in what we're doing at the moment and has been an influential player throughout the season. I had a lad behind me today who couldn't wait for him to fail today. He's even moaning about his movement, which is one of the most mental criticisms I've heard yet. I can't get why people can't just enjoy the things he does, instead of worrying why he's not Torres, haaland, Suarez or whatever. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But this is still part of the whole problem with the stick the lad gets. He might never be world class and everyone calls him a bag of shite because he's not world class. He's a tremendous footballer and has been really influential in our team's progression this season. Maybe he'll make the step like Suarez did from doing plenty but hitting the woodwork as much as the net and then go on to be a great scorer. Maybe he won't. Either way he's a good asset to our side - which currently sits a point ahead of the current English and European champions coming into Christmas, who apparently have the greatest striker to have ever played the game.

I mean, what's the ultimate goal?

If we win the league and he simply ends up being a "good asset", I don't think many will hold it against him. If he's a good asset on a team that ultimately doesn't win a big trophy, that's just not good enough. 

He's the guy we bet big on, man. If he's not individually an undeniably great, great player or he doesn't help us win big trophies, there's no point. Fair or not, there's a running narrative on him.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Cant agree, for Salah’s chance he had to react quickly, Nunez first big one when he hit the bar was just unforgivable, and the second big one when Salah headed him through he did not even hit the ball.

The last one was probably the worst one because of that, but the first one you just have to score. 

1 minute ago, Code said:

Cant agree, for Salah’s chance he had to react quickly, Nunez first big one when he hit the bar was just unforgivable, and the second big one when Salah headed him through he did not even hit the ball.

The last one was probably the worst one because of that, but the first one you just have to score. 

Fucking hell Code, Salah does make mistakes and you can admit that you know. Doesn't mean you can't have your nightly wank over him.

• Upvote 2

People still calling him raw, probably don't understand the meaning of the word. Same folk called Gravenberch raw before we signed him and he's as natural as they come.

Nunez has improved so much since he arrived, his link up play, touch, positional play, pressing have all improved by a huge amount. He's not raw anymore. He's just not as naturally talented as some are.

But he's erratic and not calm enough in his finishing. I've said it so many times in this thread, he's not going to be prolific, ever. He doesn't have ice in his veins when the moment arrives. 

He's going to be a purple patch striker and there will be a time when they all fly but only for short period of time. We need that luck to arrive at  exactly the right moment if we want to win the league this season. It's a wide open Premiership and everyone will drop points right until the end. I still think we have a chance to win it with Nunez up front.

11 minutes ago, Code said:

When Michael Jackson was on trial all he’s loony fans screamed at anybody who expressed any doubt in his innocence. You’re like that with Mo. I love both Mo and Nunez and they were both shite at putting the ball in the back of the net today.