You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

If it's Nunez taking the shots you'll be fine.

Z_esKA.gif

He's not going to be taking the shots though is he? It will be the likes of you, Guardiola, the Palace centre back, some chippy knobheads and the tit who thinks he's Newcastle manager. I'll fight all of you, I don't care.

Finishing is generally variable and a function of repeatedly shooting in good areas, but there are also players who are simply better at putting it in the net in a variety of ways than others. All well and good saying hell find his mean but some attackers never manage that. And then some attackers score more than they should. 

It is easy to see why some people are frustrated with him. It is also easy to see why he has become a cult-hero for others.

He works hard, he is really enthusiastic, has an edge to him and can be genuinely exciting - but he really needs to develop more composure in front of goal - not absolutely leathering everything would help too....

The concern for me is in the games where you only get limited chances and maybe even just one or two half chances - Games against the likes of Abu Dhabi or tight, nervy cup finals/latter rounds in Europe....You have to make the most of your chances in those games to get results. 

If he can sort that part of his game, the goals will start flowing and then the confidence flows and it gets easier/becomes more natural to be more composed and make better decisions in front of goal. He's forcing it too much as it stands - the leathering everything is part of that.

I believe it will happen for the lad and he is going to score a lot of goals for us.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Him and Mo are striking up a nice partnership and when he finally finds consistency we will be flying. You really shouldnt have to score 4 to win at home though and our big problems are at the back currently.

Don't think the problems are solely at the back although there are many issues there. There's no protection from the midfield. If we had a prime Fabinho we'd be unstoppable. MacAllister isn't cutting it there. Endo is capable but isn't physical enough. Szobolzlai and Gravenberch aren't the type of players to protect the back 4. That's without the square peg/round hole that is Trent at RB.

5 hours ago, an tha said:

It is easy to see why some people are frustrated with him. It is also easy to see why he has become a cult-hero for others.

Is cult hero where people want him to be though? 

Runs around and works hard is the bare minimum for any player, playing to the crowd is just performative, especially when he's doing it after a fuck up.

He'll be 25 and 2 years into his contract by the end of this season having cost £72 million, we can't being getting to July and still pretending he's young and next year is the year it all clicks for him.

We need to see it now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Finishing has nothing to do with luck.

Its about being calm, having self belief, knowing what to do in certain situations before they happen, being able to improvise when needed and having the technique to carry out what your mind tell your body to do. 

In per 90 terms, he's playing better than 1 in 2 and he will likely have contributed directly to 15+ goals by new year's. He needs to be more clinical, but he's doing fine and is a positive impact on the team giving us pace and a direct goal threat and he's still getting better.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Is cult hero where people want him to be though? 

Runs around and works hard is the bare minimum for any player, playing to the crowd is just performative, especially when he's doing it after a fuck up.

He'll be 25 and 2 years into his contract by the end of this season having cost £72 million, we can't being getting to July and still pretending he's young and next year is the year it all clicks for him.

We need to see it now.

He doesn’t just run around though, he does it with purpose.

23 minutes ago, bossy said:

He doesn’t just run around though, he does it with purpose.

It was in response to the below, because that should be the minimum requirement.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

He works hard, he is really enthusiastic,

Although sometimes it'd be nice if that purpose was to put the ball in that big open goal instead of let's see how hard and far I can kick it.

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

In the last few days, I've made peace with both his profligacy and hair on Sunday. He's getting the full El Rojo backing for Wednesday night.  

If he plays he'll probably score and if he scores he'll probably go on a mini run again before being knocked off his stride after 5 or 6 games by some brain dead lapse in concentration.

It's consistency, calmness concentration and shot selection he needs to work on at the moment.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

If he plays he'll probably score and if he scores he'll probably go on a mini run again before being knocked off his stride after 5 or 6 games by some brain dead lapse in concentration.

It's consistency, calmness concentration and shot selection he needs to work on at the moment.

I haven't looked at the exact stats, but from what I remember he's definitely frustratingly streaky - he was on fire before the World Cup last year and then poor after. Then he was great about a month ago before being poor again in recent weeks, in terms of finishing anyway. 

Maybe the international breaks are more of a factor for him than for others. 

13 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I haven't looked at the exact stats, but from what I remember he's definitely frustratingly streaky - he was on fire before the World Cup last year and then poor after. Then he was great about a month ago before being poor again in recent weeks, in terms of finishing anyway. 

Maybe the international breaks are more of a factor for him than for others. 

Think it was the Luton miss.

Is that one of the first real occasions where one oh his trademark misses properly impacted a result?

Most other times we've been lucky that we're already winning or have gone on to win, in those instances he's got a bit of the Jordan Pickford bluster and self assurance in him.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

It was in response to the below, because that should be the minimum requirement.

Although sometimes it'd be nice if that purpose was to put the ball in that big open goal instead of let's see how hard and far I can kick it.

Ok my last words with you on this as it’s a fool’s errand, but that purpose is also to help the team win and he deffo did that on Sunday. His hair is bad though.

2 hours ago, Code said:

Finishing has nothing to do with luck.

Its about being calm, having self belief, knowing what to do in certain situations before they happen, being able to improvise when needed and having the technique to carry out what your mind tell your body to do. 

Most of that is true, but as probably the best finisher on this forum I can tell you that finishing does have an element of luck to it. Sometimes you'll score with an awful mishit but then see a beautifully struck finish hit the woodwork or be saved by the keeper.

Darwin has had absolutely no luck whatsoever. He's also had some bad misses as well, but when the luck aspect begins to even itself out some people are going to be eating humble pie.

Not you Frode, there's as much chance of you ever eating humble pie as there is of Greta Thunberg eating a Big Mac.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

The point about him working hard and being really enthusiastic is of course a part of why people like him and with his edge and being unpredictable and exciting he is going to be a bit of a cult hero - fans just take to that sort of player - heart on sleeve, emotional, a bit quirky - he resonates with people, he resonates with the sort of attitude of Liverpool fans and our culture. He is entertaining and colourful to watch, people will gravitate towards that.

But there is more to him and more to come IMO and yeah he needs to work on stuff and improve - I made the point in my earlier post about composure and not leathering it - but for me as I say it will come and then the confidence will flow and then it will come more and then it will get easier and then when you put all that together with his effort, his edge, his enthusiasm, etc etc - well IMHO we are gonna have a seriously good with the lad - and a lot of people are gonna have to wolf down some sizeable plates of humble pie.

That's what I mean. I know you're not comparing them as players as one is a goalkeeper and the other is a striker.

You're just comparing him to the most irritating, horrible shithead in the league. Tells us everything we need to know about what you think of him.

• Upvote 1