You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

3 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

With Stevie out its all aboard the Xabi for manager train unless an ex player comes out of knowhere i wonder what Igor Biscan is up to these days

Rigobert Song's taking Cameroon to the World Cup next month. If he can get a decent run out of them then..... bish...bosh.... 

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I see Thomas Frank was criticising the Villa supporters for singing “Get out of our club” to Stevie last night. He called them classless. You can’t disagree.

Villa thought they were funny walking round the Kop with their “He loves it at Villa Park” song last season. Dickheads. I can’t wait to hear the away end and Anfield bouncing to “He’s big and he’s fucking hard” after the World Cup.

I’d like him to find a job with us in some capacity. However, any type of coaching role will always be met with Klopp’s replacement in X years narrative. 

He’s a good guy that Thomas Frank.

If do feel sorry for Gerrard in that if he just was waited another 12 months instead of letting Rodgers send him off into the sunset, he'd have had the chance to work under klopp for a period, and experience a completely different concept on how the game should be played. 

Because being honest, Gerrards most successful years for us was playing under uber defensive coaches. Which in turn has shaped his ideas of the game. 

Unfortunately 

• Upvote 2

Should have stayed at Rangers for another couple of seasons and seen how the land lies…maybe tried a Championship side and brought them up into the Prem. Stoke City are in danger of dropping lower. His tactics would defo suit that club.

Meanwhile over at Everton, someone else needs a quick run of wins or he could also be consigned to the managerial bin of history. Fatty Arbuckle. 

Actually he looks like he might have lost a teensy weensy bit of midriff waist. Maybe Christine has been helping. Palace could sneak it.

17 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

This. The best he could ever achieve is 8th with Villa (behind Newcastle now) but the Villa fans think they should be challenging for the Champions League places. They might have spent a fair wedge, but they can't attract the type of players who can help them gatecrash the top 6/7 places and even if they did their best players would soon be picked off by the bigger clubs anyway. 

Villa should have never sacked Dean Smith anyway. 

Problem is Villa were nowhere near 8th. And played awful football. 

I think I said something similar in another thread, but Gerrard strikes me as quite an old-fashioned manager who is heavily reliant on the quality of his coaches. That's always a matter of degree, of course, as all managers need to delegate, but whereas the likes of a Klopp or Guardiola or Potter have a coach's outlook, and thus hand down to their assistants their own coaching philosophy, Stephen strikes me as someone who doesn't possess that kind of mindset. 

If true, that makes something of a mockery of the need for young managers to 'earn' their coaching badges - some, like Gerrard, emerge at the other end knowing some basic tactical templates but without any discernible vision of their own. 

I don't buy the idea that Villa's decline was down to Beale leaving - they were poor in the last part of last season when he was still there - but Gerrard, without much if any coaching input, seemed reduced to resorting to old-style confrontations to change his fortunes.

His success at Rangers was clearly helped hugely by the fact he cherry-picked some of LFC Academy's best staff to support him there. By the time he got to Villa several of them had impressed enough to be distracted by offers of better roles elsewhere.

Where does it leave Gerrard? About the same place as Lampard, so far, I think. If he can find a smaller club who'll back him, and find another strong coaching team to work beneath him, he could progress again fairly well. But I don't see him as a future LFC manager. He'd be a fine figurehead, but the power would reside elsewhere. And these days the real coaches are the ones with their eyes on that kind of prize.

I really didn't like the way he approached the games against us. Not so much because of the negative style of play - there was some logic to that - but rather the encouragement of every Allardyce-style cynical trick in the book. They were a really pathetic team in that sense.

And while he spoke about his admiration for Klopp, and about favouring an attacking, possession-based style of football, driven by technically gifted players as his wide forwards, carrying play ahead very quickly, his Villa team were nothing like that, even when he got to bring in some of his own choices. 

He did seem to have studied all the managerial training manuals, especially in terms of the media - his use of the word 'noise,' especially, always struck me as someone far too self-conscious, and yet unthinking, in his attempts to 'sound' managerial - but I haven't so far seen or heard much that suggests there's that much else there.

Why does he want to manage? That's what I'm still unsure about. I can see the non-specific reasons - because it's the next-best buzz to playing, because it keeps him in the game, because it gives him new chances of winning things - but as to why managing, as such, might suit him, and even improve him - nothing. He could do with pondering that while he takes a good rest.

I felt shit for him on Thursday night, to have your "own" fans singing that at you get out of our club and what seemed the whole ground at one point, despite their position I don't think he deserved that. His best option in my opinion (I'm sure Stevie will consider that) he needs to drop down a league to the Championship or even try abroad for a bit on a smaller Spanish / french / Belgian team to get a few seasons under his belt then maybe if it works out come back to the Premier League (not Liverpool tho)  

Probably ill advised to take the Villa job in hindsight.  Long road back now for him if he has serious ambitions to manage a decent PL outfit and miles away from being considered for the Liverpool job. It's going to take achieving promotion from the Championship to get him back to where he was before the Villa failure .  

He played under houllier and rafa so .its not really a surprise he favours a more pragmatic sense of football

As someone said previously

It's hardly the end of the world(hardly a day goes by without a manager being Jettisoned here)

But he needs to learn from it maybe go abroad and get some experience?

As for villa,he probably had one of the worst fan bases I'm the country to placate the fucking scruffs. 

Good luck to him though