You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Been left out of the squad in the last couple of games. Curious.

It's a very strong squad to be fair. I would have him ahead of Ox but I guess Klopp appreciates Ox's power and pace in midfield when he feels it's needed.

Probably a mad thought but I would like to see if Curtis could be coached into playing the Bobby role. He's fairly big, has a decent turn of pace, great feet and skills and a good eye for goal.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

1. He's not very good. 2. Its a strong squad (As said above). He may have a decent career at a midtable side like Palace or Villa, time will tell.

He has played 60 some games for Liverpool - for a side that won the league.

He has already had a better career than anyone at Palace or Villa bar Coutinho.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He didn’t really contribute much if at all to us winning those trophies though if we’re being honest. I believe he’s a talented footballer but staying at Liverpool this season was the wrong career move for him. He should’ve gone on loan to a club where he’d get to start every week. His career at the moment is on a similar trajectory as Ross Barkley’s. 

• Downvote 1

He’s an instinctive, attacking midfielder. I think he’s struggled with Jurgen trying to develop him into a more rounded, utility player. I remember a perfect rabona cross from him a few seasons ago, which was ridiculous and unnecessary but perfectly executed. There’s no way he’d try that now. 

For me, his winning goal against Everton is one of our great FA Cup goals too. The technique was phenomenal, and what an occasion to execute it in. 

I think we’re all a bit quick to label young players as excellent or complete failures on small sample sizes. There’s often a middle ground. He’s only just turned 21 - give him time. 

• Upvote 3

I don't see how he's an attacking midfielder for a team of our calibre. If you want to play there, you need extraordinary technique and you have to score and assist at a high level. 

To me he's being done a favour by Klopp by having to become more complete. He's got talent, but he's not exactly Ronaldinho either. 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

No - he played cumulatively just over 90 minutes for the Liverpool team that won the league in 19/20. He was not a contributing factor.

He played most prominently through the period for the Liverpool team where the wheels fell off in Jan. / Feb. / early-March 20/21. That wasn't a coincidence. He was back out of the Liverpool team by the time we were strong again in late-March / Apr. / May. Again, that wasn't a coincidence.

He's too slow. Not good enough on the ball relative to his playing style. I don't think he's been able to complete 90 minutes even 10 times in the league. History is full of young players who come up through competitive/league winning teams and don't stay at that level. To be honest he probably doesn't get into this Villa side (they've bought quite a lot since the £15 mil bid for him); I would guess around Palace is his level (Loftus Cheek style) - which is still a 50k a week gig in the strongest professional league and not to be sniffed at. We'll see.

Some of the good stuff he was doing last season as a centre mid just isn't happening any more. He was great at picking up the ball in dangerous, unexpected areas and getting a pass off, and he was playing some nice forward passes through the lines as well. I don't know if he's been told to hold his position more this season but he's definitely playing more conservatively and it doesn't suit him.

He's a player that needs there to be space on the pitch to be most effective - whether that's so he can run into it or pick someone else running into it. He's not very good against low block sides who just hold position and never press. There's no good positions for him to take up and a forward pass against that kind of defence just means a turnover most of the time.

I really want Curtis to succeed here but it's not looking likely based on his performances this season. The other thing that's holding him back imo is that for a lad who's about 6 foot 2 and getting increasingly built, he's a bit of a fanny in the tackle and in the air.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I disagree.

I think Jonesy certainly has the talent and physicality to be a solid midfield squad member. He's bigger than all of them bar Fab, he's quicker than all bar maybe Ox and Elliott, he's got a cracking shot, he's young and he's homegrown.

My problem with Jones has been mentioned earlier, he seems to be playing within himself, taking the easier, higher percentage safe passes. Whether that's down to instructions from the manager or just down to a lack of confidence is hard to tell, but it's safe to say that it is stifling his growth.

I think Jones has more potential than most of his midfield brethren and for that alone I'm not ready to chuck him in the fucking bin just yet.

• Upvote 4

Jones is a phenomenally talented player having a difficult spell.  The exact same thing will happed to Harvey in the next few years.  Drops offs in performance happen to long experienced payer, never mind kids like Jones.  

We've seen just how good Jones can be.  That's his norm, not the current difficult spell.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Jones is a phenomenally talented player having a difficult spell.  The exact same thing will happed to Harvey in the next few years.  Drops offs in performance happen to long experienced payer, never mind kids like Jones.  

We've seen just how good Jones can be.  That's his norm, not the current difficult spell.  

“Phenomenally talented” is hyperbole. He’s a talented young player, but he’s 21. At the same age, Ronaldo Luiz Nazario had scored 80 goals in top flight football. Curtis is nowhere near that. 

• Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, aRdja said:

“Phenomenally talented” is hyperbole. He’s a talented young player, but he’s 21. At the same age, Ronaldo Luiz Nazario had scored 80 goals in top flight football. Curtis is nowhere near that. 

Why are you comparing him to a striker?  Curtis has quite clearly been playing in a system that doesn't permit him full attacking allowance like real Ronaldo.  Sure why not just compare him to a goalie moan about Jones lack of clean sheets?

I think he is phenomenally talented.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

There’s a middle ground here. What Chelsea did with Mount and are doing with Gallagher I reckon is what we should replicate with Jones.

You have to factor in that the player might not want a move like that. Big reasons why Mount agreed the loan to Derby were Lampard being the manager there and Mount himself being nowhere near a first team regular for Chelsea at the time.

Jones had a good run for us last season and then saw a lad who played basically every game in his position leave without being replaced (Wijnaldum). He could well have thought this season would be his breakthrough, more minutes up for grabs, under a manager who already loves him and has given him a go. He could have thought there'd be nothing to gain going out on loan and having to prove himself all over again to a new manager.

Anyway, all conjecture, there might have been no one in for him, or he could have wanted a loan and the club said no, we've got no way of knowing really.