You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

If he was already at Villa, would anybody argue we should get him?

Jacob Ramsey is 21 and has played 79 games (some on loan at Doncaster). That's 2 fewer than Curtis has in a side winning big trophies with better players in front of him. So to answer your question, yes people would want him just like they want Ramsey. 

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

If he was already at Villa, would anybody argue we should get him?

Depends how well he was playing at Villa?

I did wonder if Gerrard might try and take him on loan when he was manager as he seemed to get the best out of him at youth level.

Going forward I'd like to see Jones given an opportunity as a false 9 here. In a 4-3-3 formation that would arguably be his best position, as it would allow him a bit more freedom than he has playing in midfield.

7 hours ago, No2 said:

Jacob Ramsey is 21 and has played 79 games (some on loan at Doncaster). That's 2 fewer than Curtis has in a side winning big trophies with better players in front of him. So to answer your question, yes people would want him just like they want Ramsey. 

I think the difference between/problem with the Ramsay and Jones comparison is that Ramsey has a more clearly defined role and you can see how that would translate to our system. I'm not completely sure where Jones fits best at the moment.

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Depends how well he was playing at Villa?

I did wonder if Gerrard might try and take him on loan when he was manager as he seemed to get the best out of him at youth level.

Going forward I'd like to see Jones given an opportunity as a false 9 here. In a 4-3-3 formation that would arguably be his best position, as it would allow him a bit more freedom than he has playing in midfield.

Nunez, Bobby, Jota and Salah are all ahead of him for the 9 position. Even Ox is probably ahead of him there in Klopp's eyes, going by the last few games

If Jones can show some fitness, he's an asset to the squad. He hasn't shown yet he can nail down a place, but he's shown plenty of times he has an abundance of talent and his potential is high. But he needs to cut the injuries out, play more and when he does play, be more consistent. He's 21, Henderson for instance has had a fine career here, but most would have bombed him after his first 12 months here when he was 22. 

If we decide down the line we don't want to keep Jones or he wants to go elsewhere to play more, there'll be plenty of people in for him and his long contract won't be an issue. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/02/2021 at 07:38, liverpoolsno9 said:

I couldn’t find the thread on him so feel free to merge. What’s peoples thoughts on him? There’s quite a few who were right pissed off when he come off yesterday but I was wanting him off. Been arguing with a mate today who said he was by far our best Mid, have to disagree, is it because he had a couple of shots? Because the rest of his game is soooooo slow, like he plays in slow motion. He’s got good feet, but just plays it far too simple and safe, he was supposed to be the most advanced of the Midfielders yesterday but he just doesn’t give us enough, he’s slow as fuck, he never breaks into anything faster than a slow jog. Reminds me of Redknapp in that respect, just trotting around like a fucking peacock. I’m far from Ox’s biggest fan by any stretch but I’d have him in before Curtis, more goal threat, pace on the break and a good shot. 

Maybe he’ll turn into Thiago?

• 1 month later...

Sadly he doesn't look any closer to a first team player than when he broke through. Seems one that injuries and getting a change in his position have him second guessing everything he does. We seem to have taken everything he naturally did as a youth player and tried to take it out of him. Think similar will be done to Elliot and Carvalho. 3 players who look like they should be attacking midfielder in a 4231 that don't fit our formation and in Elliot and Jones don't have the pace to play wide in our system

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Sadly he doesn't look any closer to a first team player than when he broke through. Seems one that injuries and getting a change in his position have him second guessing everything he does. We seem to have taken everything he naturally did as a youth player and tried to take it out of him. Think similar will be done to Elliot and Carvalho. 3 players who look like they should be attacking midfielder in a 4231 that don't fit our formation and in Elliot and Jones don't have the pace to play wide in our system

It couldn't possibly be even a tiny bit down to him, could it? He's not being coached by demons, he's being coached by people who want to get the best out of him in a system he's been used to for at least seven years. 

10 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

It couldn't possibly be even a tiny bit down to him, could it? He's not being coached by demons, he's being coached by people who want to get the best out of him in a system he's been used to for at least seven years

He hasn't been playing his new role in the system for 7 years though has he. He played mostly wide left coming through the youth team and they tried converting him into a more central midfielder. The same is being done with Elliot, he played wide right and we are pushing him to play as a right sided midfielder and its obvious so far he struggles physically and doesn't have the pace to get up and down the pitch. We bought Carvalho who played as a 10 and sometimes as wide left for Fulham, we don't play with a 10 and don't play him at all at the moment as he doesn't look physical enough to play through the middle. 

Of course some of it is to do with the player but Jones especially has been messed around with his position, injuries haven't helped but not letting him at least go out on loan hasn't helped him at all. He needs games to improve, and isnt getting them here