You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Project Big Picture

luxury_scruff

As Lifey said it is a start of a negotiation:

• The Premier League cut from 20 to 18 clubs, with the Championship, League One and League Two each retaining 24 teams.

Would do that in a second - obviously you will get 6 teams who would oppose it.

• The bottom two teams in the Premier League relegated automatically with the 16th-placed team joining the Championship play-offs.

Again, in a heartbeat.

• The League Cup and Community Shield abolished.

See Above

• Parachute payments scrapped.

Agree if the below is instated

• A £250m rescue fund made immediately available to the EFL & 25% of all future TV deals

Of course.

• £100m paid to the FA to make up for lost revenue.

Fuck off.

• Nine clubs given 'special voting rights' on certain issues, based on their long time in the Premier League.

Weighted voting by some formula - points won over the last 10 years is probably ok.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

another interesting thing though i do wonder if the efl clubs are thinking though - or are just desperate for cash so will worry about that later. There seems part of this agreement clubs can pick 8 matches per season as PPV (including overseas) to transmit on their own chosen platform. so this means as well as fewer games due to the reduced number of teams, there will also be games taken away from the calendar for ppv purposes, reducing even more the Premier League TV money pot. So this 25% which is floating downstream is not 25% of what is sold now, but 25% of something vastly reduced in quantity. 

Not sure this is correct. I think the idea is that clubs can show up to eight of their Saturday 3.00 matches which haven't been picked by Sky/BT. There would still be an overall cap (can't remember what but I think it was 25) on the number of games which could be shown live for any club. This would mean Sky/BT having to select their games far earlier which is no bad thing. 

I agree that the value of the overall TV package to the broadcasters would be reduced but probably by not that much. 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

what does the bold bit mean?

Sorry don't know where partner came from, should have been part. Included in the proposal is half of all stadiums works to be funded from a central fund to a max of 250m.

Good to see the Premier league doing the right thing by themselves.

Big Picture - a £250m gift to the football league to help clubs in financial difficulty due to covid.

Actual deal offered by the Premier league - £50m made up of gifts and interest free loans. To league one and 2 clubs. So a big fuck you to the championship.

My understanding was that basically it would narrow the 'economic' gap between the bottom of the PL and the Championship (by paying the Football League a bigger share and doing away with things like parachute payments) whilst increasing the 'power' gap between the top and bottom of the PL. And that Everton would never vote for it because their senior management seems to be as parochial as their fanbase these days. And that the rest of the 'big six' are being clever/cowardly by letting us and the mancs take the heat for it if there was any outrage.

I've got no real qualms with it being kicked to the long grass as I always saw it as being an opening proposal (and there were aspects of it that made me nervous), but I am pretty fucked off with the reporting of its rejection as being some sort of triumph over greed by a ragtag group of impoverished clubs. The bottom 14 voted against it because they want to pull the fucking ladder up now they're on the Premier League Gravy Train and that's one of the main reasons the PL needs some sort of reform: because there are always at least half a dozen clubs who are in danger of relegation whose vision for the league as a whole is to trouser as much cash as they can in a season or two before they tumble out the top flight again. Once that happens their PL-banked money and parachute payments give them a massive advantage in a promotion push.

There's no doubt it's greed on the part of us and the mancs that led to this being tabled in the first place, but it's just greed of a different kind that's led to it being rejected by the rest of the PL.

• Upvote 5

Really uncomfortable with how the game is heading, But it’s symptomatic of the way the world is heading.

I’m glad this has been rejected, why do Henry and glazers have the arrogance to think they know how football should be run in this country? It’s disgraceful greed and would be a nail in the coffin for football in this country.

This coupled with PL’s extortionate PPV plans reeks of opportunism. The game is fucking shite without fans.

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

As Lifey said it is a start of a negotiation:

• The Premier League cut from 20 to 18 clubs, with the Championship, League One and League Two each retaining 24 teams.

Would do that in a second - obviously you will get 6 teams who would oppose it.

• The bottom two teams in the Premier League relegated automatically with the 16th-placed team joining the Championship play-offs.

Again, in a heartbeat.

• The League Cup and Community Shield abolished.

See Above

• Parachute payments scrapped.

Agree if the below is instated

• A £250m rescue fund made immediately available to the EFL & 25% of all future TV deals

Of course.

• £100m paid to the FA to make up for lost revenue.

Fuck off.

• Nine clubs given 'special voting rights' on certain issues, based on their long time in the Premier League.

Weighted voting by some formula - points won over the last 10 years is probably ok.

Who is putting forward the proposal of way too many professional clubs? When a country such as Germany only has three and around 60-ish clubs at most,how can England expect to carry 92 plus some Conference sides being professional? It's simply too many. Although this argument is a slight digression it still needs to be tackled soon. Two regional leagues like the old second division North and South could help.

Ian Holloway in full-on mental rant mode on 5 Live.

”It’s not their [PL] money!” 
“It’s not their money!”

”It’s the TV company’s money!”

”Stop being so greedy and...” 

Can’t remember the phrase but basically hand it over.

No idea where he was born but it’s missing an idiot.

32 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Ian Holloway in full-on mental rant mode on 5 Live.

”It’s not their [PL] money!” 
“It’s not their money!”

”It’s the TV company’s money!”

”Stop being so greedy and...” 

Can’t remember the phrase but basically hand it over.

No idea where he was born but it’s missing an idiot.

Kingswood. Just outside Bristol. 

On 14/10/2020 at 19:37, aws said:

Not sure this is correct. I think the idea is that clubs can show up to eight of their Saturday 3.00 matches which haven't been picked by Sky/BT. There would still be an overall cap (can't remember what but I think it was 25) on the number of games which could be shown live for any club. This would mean Sky/BT having to select their games far earlier which is no bad thing. 

I agree that the value of the overall TV package to the broadcasters would be reduced but probably by not that much. 

So that's not how Keiran Maguire described it. It was a reduction in the total number of games in the total TV deal and the club's get to choose their 8.  We were on TV 29 times in 18/19 out if 200, so we had just 9 other matches that didn't make TV. And I think forgetting project restart that 200 was to be increased to 220 in 19/20. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So that's not how Keiran Maguire described it. It was a reduction in the total number of games in the total TV deal and the club's get to choose their 8.  We were on TV 29 times in 18/19 out if 200, so we had just 9 other matches that didn't make TV. And I think forgetting project restart that 200 was to be increased to 220 in 19/20. 

Fair enough but I don't think we'll ever know the details for sure. 

The Premier League has offered grants and interest-free loans totalling around £50m to clubs in League One and League Two.

They reject! Have they got no shame!

Here the PL comes along and offer to save football giving (some of it loans but still) them as much as 10 – ten – times more than the Scudamore farewell gift.

Ungrateful c**nts

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

The Premier League has offered grants and interest-free loans totalling around £50m to clubs in League One and League Two.

They reject! Have they got no shame!

Here the PL comes along and offer to save football giving (some of it loans but still) them as much as 10 – ten – times more than the Scudamore farewell gift.

Ungrateful c**nts

They need 250m though don't they? I'm not sure what the point of accepting interest free loans if it just means you go bust anyway. 

• Upvote 1