You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it time to start to question what's really happening?

Bruce Spanner

26 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

There are others - plenty of others - who are now hearing a message they wouldn’t have otherwise heard because these protests got on the news.

Which rock would they have been living under to not be aware of the impending climate catastrophe already?

There are people out there trying to actually change things, plenty of them. Give them the publicity, not some twats destroying art and stopping ambulances on their gap year.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Which is bollocks, of course: they got soup on a pane of glass. But that's always been the Catch 22 of protest; polite protest gets ignored, disruptive protest gets discredited.

I don't have any answers, but I'm not going to waste any energy getting angry at kids gluing their hands to gallery walls, while psychopathic kleptocrats are burning the whole planet.

Very true. Reminded me of this.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/just-stop-oil-protester-nufc-25150914.amp

45 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, they don't. They achieved nothing. It was already Labour policy, and the Tories aren't doing it. So blockading the M25 did nothing. They were right about the need for insulation then, these kids who achieved fuck all bar condemnation, aren't wrong about the actual issue either. Throwing soup or stopping traffic does nothing other than make them look stupid and turn more people away from your cause than attract them to it. It's the mindset of a fucking moron. I prefer things that actually work rather than a shock-jock tactic. I'm just tired of brainless shit. 

Bollocks. 

Moderates can now take up the message and get heard. That’s half the point of radicals, get it said as abrasively as you like, then let someone that the people will not hate to follow through with a message that already has some awareness thereafter. 

labour are fucking rubbish on this too compared the what is actually needed. They’re too frightened that their poll lead won’t last. Hopefully when they make it to power they actually step up.

Gluing themselves to the road was a bit daft and lots of people got very angry about it and stopping traffic gave reason to be furious.

6 months later, moderate voices are rightly saying - and being heard, echoed and amplified - the reason your bills are going up so much might be because of Putin and his illegal war, but if David Cameron and every subsequent incarnation of that Tory government since hadn’t “cut the green crap” and actually invested in insulation and incentivised green retrofit and not sent planning standards backwards to suit the shareholders of the big house builders, you’d be a lot Fucking better off than you are.

Insulate Britain (with capitals) looked like loonies then. Now people saying “insulate, Britain” don’t.

1 minute ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Bollocks. 

Moderates can now take up the message and get heard. That’s half the point of radicals, get it said as abrasively as you like, then let someone that the people will not hate to follow through with a message that already has some awareness thereafter. 

labour are fucking rubbish on this too compared the what is actually needed. They’re too frightened that their poll lead won’t last. Hopefully when they make it to power they actually step up.

Gluing themselves to the road was a bit daft and lots of people got very angry about it and stopping traffic gave reason to be furious.

6 months later, moderate voices are rightly saying - and being heard, echoed and amplified - the reason your bills are going up so much might be because of Putin and his illegal war, but if David Cameron and every subsequent incarnation of that Tory government since hadn’t “cut the green crap” and actually invested in insulation and incentivised green retrofit and not sent planning standards backwards to suit the shareholders of the big house builders, you’d be a lot Fucking better off than you are.

Insulate Britain (with capitals) looked like loonies then. Now people saying “insulate, Britain” don’t.

Bollocks. 

Insulate Britain only look like loonies if they're causing road blocks. Nobody had an issue with fucking insu... 

I just realised. Why am I typing that. It's so fucking obvious. Nobody has an issue with insulating homes, they did have an issue with people being cunts. They still don't have an issue with insulating homes. If they go and act like cunts in the road, people will still have an issue with it. What a bizarre example to defend throwing fucking soup. 

39 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Which rock would they have been living under to not be aware of the impending climate catastrophe already?

There are people out there trying to actually change things, plenty of them. Give them the publicity, not some twats destroying art and stopping ambulances on their gap year.

I don’t have the ability to influence which of those two groups gets publicity. If you are, great.

my point stands. Those doing good are not put off from it because of radicals. They don’t down tools over this. If the radicals stop, the Sun and the Mail don’t suddenly start publishing updates about the positive work of John Elkington in restoring Iraqi marshlands.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

Final episode of Frozen Planet II the other night makes for very depressing viewing. The shit is going to hit the fan far sooner than expected.

More worried about cunts throwing soup on a painting to be honest mate. Feed em to the woodchipper.

In seriousness yeah the situation is indeed looking grim.

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Bollocks. 

Insulate Britain only look like loonies if they're causing road blocks. Nobody had an issue with fucking insu... 

I just realised. Why am I typing that. It's so fucking obvious. Nobody has an issue with insulating homes, they did have an issue with people being cunts. They still don't have an issue with insulating homes. If they go and act like cunts in the road, people will still have an issue with it. What a bizarre example to defend throwing fucking soup. 

Successive Tory governments seem to, otherwise incentives to improve the shockingly low levels of energy efficiency in our housing stock wouldn’t have been pulled. 

private landlords seem to, otherwise we wouldn’t have such shockingly low levels of energy efficiency in the private rented sector of our housing stock throughout the country.

Shady group and oil and gas companies seem to, otherwise they wouldn’t be lobbying for these corrupt officials in office to never utter a fucking word about reducing energy demand as part of our reaction to the current energy and cost of living crisis.

Don’t be so fucking soft.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

This bit made me laugh

Footage filmed for a YouTube video showed McKechnie walking down the steps in the stand and climbing over a gate to get onto the pitch, as one fan shouted at him: "F*** off you blert."

But the more relevant part is this

McKechnie told the court Just Stop Oil was a civil resistance group which wanted the Government to act to end the use of fossil fuels. He said: "We came up with the idea of how do we get the most eyes on that name, Just Stop Oil, and of course, in this day and age, football is the biggest cultural phenomenon there is.

"Hopefully, public awareness will bring public action which might actually, if we can get the Government to listen to us, might actually save a lot of lives. If it’s a chance of saving a billion lives, it’s worth it no matter the odds."

Laura O'Brien, who defended McKechnie, said he was responding to the climate emergency and what he believed were failing democratic processes. She said: "While the world watches this billion-pound enterprise that is Premier League football, which people are captivated by, he is taking the message to them that we need to Just Stop Oil."

This government is prioritising road spending. Fucking road spending. 

I can’t get a bus into 2 of the 3 towns/cities I live between after 7pm, and the services takes about 3 days to reach them anyway. The one city I can reach has a bus every hour. I live in a large town near a major city so god help you if you’re somewhere actually remote. Put money into bus services, train networks. Not more fucking roads.

4 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Successive Tory governments seem to, otherwise incentives to improve the shockingly low levels of energy efficiency in our housing stock wouldn’t have been pulled. 

private landlords seem to, otherwise we wouldn’t have such shockingly low levels of energy efficiency in the private rented sector of our housing stock throughout the country.

Shady group and oil and gas companies seem to, otherwise they wouldn’t be lobbying for these corrupt officials in office to never utter a fucking word about reducing energy demand as part of our reaction to the current energy and cost of living crisis.

Don’t be so fucking soft.

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to be convinced to change by some cunt on the M25 or some cunt throwing soup. 

Don't be so fucking naïve. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to be convinced to change by some cunt on the M25 or some cunt throwing soup. 

Don't be so fucking naïve. 

You’ve missed the middle but out again. We don’t need the Tory’s to be convinced, we need them to be booted out and for people to say “what are you doing about carbon emissions, energy efficiency and climate change” to the ones that replace them.

6 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

You’ve missed the middle but out again. We don’t need the Tory’s to be convinced, we need them to be booted out and for people to say “what are you doing about carbon emissions, energy efficiency and climate change” to the ones that replace them.

Right. Soup throwing leads the the middle bit. Good stuff. I must have imagined all of human history. Good luck with that. 

Anyway, fuck the soup throwing cunts.