You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it time to start to question what's really happening?

Bruce Spanner

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It makes people not talk about the issue but talk about cunts ruining art

Which is bollocks, of course: they got soup on a pane of glass. But that's always been the Catch 22 of protest; polite protest gets ignored, disruptive protest gets discredited.

I don't have any answers, but I'm not going to waste any energy getting angry at kids gluing their hands to gallery walls, while psychopathic kleptocrats are burning the whole planet.

• Upvote 1

Well, now they know it's protected, they will try something else. For me, they're idiots. It does nothing to help their cause, it does the opposite, and even if it did then trying to destroy artwork isn't the way to go about it. I have lots of bandwidth for condemnation; twats and psychopathic kleptocrats. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Indeed. Out of interest, how much oil does throwing soup at paintings stop? 

You understand these people have no power other than to try to get people to discuss the issue and these stunts are not aimed to solve anything but to make noise and increase awareness?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Spunkmouse said:

You understand these people have no power other than to try to get people to discuss the issue and these stunts are not aimed to solve anything but to make noise and increase awareness?

Yes, I do. After all, I'm not 10. I'm just wondering if you think this helps their cause rather than gets people to go 'cunts' and instantly forget who they are and dismiss everything they say. 

Just now, Gnasher said:

If they disturb the Epsom Derby by throwing themselves in front of a horse I'll agree with Mr Torylite's idea to feed them into a woodchipper.

Throwing yourself in front of a horse results in how many female voters? 

If anything you've only lost one potential voter. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

They should have gone with Campbell's Tomato Soup rather than Heinz like. More of an artistic precedent. 

It's a massive plus that they only attacked that renowned Dutch painter and left the British Rolf Harris classics alone. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, I do. After all, I'm not 10. I'm just wondering if you think this helps their cause rather than gets people to go 'cunts' and instantly forget who they are and dismiss everything they say. 

The people who go “cut so and instantly forget who they are weren’t giving a shit anyway.

Those who want governments and big business to make the changes we need to avoid catastrophic climate change are not going to change their mind because they don’t like the way this has been protested, so it makes no odds to them.

Those who would change their mind and say “we’ll now you’ve done this protest  against what you stand for” are a fucking problem and it’s better to see them out of the woodwork.

There are others - plenty of others - who are now hearing a message they wouldn’t have otherwise heard because these protests got on the news. Some of that will stick.

Remember the anger at the M25 blockade for insulate Britain? Don’t they look a lot more reasonable 6 months on now we wish we’d have fucking insulated Britain?

6 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

The people who go “cut so and instantly forget who they are weren’t giving a shit anyway.

Those who want governments and big business to make the changes we need to avoid catastrophic climate change are not going to change their mind because they don’t like the way this has been protested, so it makes no odds to them.

Those who would change their mind and say “we’ll now you’ve done this protest  against what you stand for” are a fucking problem and it’s better to see them out of the woodwork.

There are others - plenty of others - who are now hearing a message they wouldn’t have otherwise heard because these protests got on the news. Some of that will stick.

Remember the anger at the M25 blockade for insulate Britain? Don’t they look a lot more reasonable 6 months on now we wish we’d have fucking insulated Britain?

Excellent.

15 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

No, they don't. They achieved nothing. It was already Labour policy, and the Tories aren't doing it. So blockading the M25 did nothing. They were right about the need for insulation then, these kids who achieved fuck all bar condemnation, aren't wrong about the actual issue either. Throwing soup or stopping traffic does nothing other than make them look stupid and turn more people away from your cause than attract them to it. It's the mindset of a fucking moron. I prefer things that actually work rather than a shock-jock tactic. I'm just tired of brainless shit.