You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

He's been a hugely disappointing signing due to his general unavailability, but he's been sensational for us at times during the brief interludes. 

Setting myself up for disappointment and ridicule here, but he could play a massive part in the the coming months if he can stay in any way fit. 

200w (12).gif

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, El Rojo said:

He's been a hugely disappointing signing due to his general unavailability, but he's been sensational for us at times during the brief interludes. 

Setting myself up for disappointment and ridicule here, but he could play a massive part in the the coming months if he can stay in any way fit. 

I’m happy to do my part.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

As talented as he is, we haven’t missed him and don’t particularly need him back for any real reason. He doesn’t suit us, and bar the odd purple patch, mainly when we were shite (loads of players rise in the scenarios - yossi in the Benitez dip) has been ok

2 minutes ago, Curly said:

As talented as he is, we haven’t missed him and don’t particularly need him back for any real reason. He doesn’t suit us, and bar the odd purple patch, mainly when we were shite (loads of players rise in the scenarios - yossi in the Benitez dip) has been ok

That's simply untrue.

32 minutes ago, Curly said:

Nonsense, no wonder you picked Gerrard in the poll. 

I appreciate he is a very talented footballer - but i just don't get the adulation for him.

What has he actually done for us? Answer is very, very little.

Even in the near quadruple season of 21/22 he only started 17 of our league games.....broke down in the warm up of the league cup final (didn't play a minute of the campaign) and was a passenger in the european cup final.

Outside of that we have had 2 poor seasons with him with us, both of which he missed lumps of anyway and this season which to date with over half of it gone he hasn't played a minute of.

Like i said the other day a very, very talented footballer - but for me he is a lovely idea, the reality has been a massive disappointment - mostly because he just hasn't been able to stay fit.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I appreciate he is a very talented footballer - but i just don't get the adulation for him.

What has he actually done for us? Answer is very, very little.

Even in the near quadruple season of 21/22 he only started 17 of our league games.....broke down in the warm up of the league cup final (didn't play a minute of the campaign) and was a passenger in the european cup final.

Outside of that we have had 2 poor seasons with him with us, both of which he missed lumps of anyway and this season which to date with over half of it gone he hasn't played a minute of.

Like i said the other day a very, very talented footballer - but for me he is a lovely idea, the reality has been a massive disappointment - mostly because he just hasn't been able to stay fit.

After breaking down yet again in the warm up but still deciding to start.

• Upvote 1

Appreciate people like to do the easy and shit jokes about his fitness or whatever, but why are people poo pooing his return? Were essentially two points ahead in the league, its not like we couldnt use additional firepower to help keep us up there. 

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I don't think he has been a disappointment, he's been brilliant in the games he has played.

97 games in three years isn't too bad. Obviously this season has been a washout but even that has been for the best as we've moved on from him now.

I can't see him playing much of a part this season aside from the odd sub appearance. 

For me the biggest regret is not signing him earlier in his career. I'd have loved to have seen him at his peak here.

8 hours ago, Code said:

Nonsense, no wonder you picked Gerrard in the poll. 

That was a sentimentality driven, tongue in cheek vote, as described in the thread, and as well you know, you cheeky little scamp

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Appreciate people like to do the easy and shit jokes about his fitness or whatever, but why are people poo pooing his return? Were essentially two points ahead in the league, its not like we couldnt use additional firepower to help keep us up there. 

Thiago/Firepower?

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Probably because they expect him to get injured again almost instantly. 

There's something odd about players who're always injured like Sturredge and Keita, unless they're the unluckiest people alive there must be some sort of psychological component.

There's been some cryptic Klopp comments in the past about Thiago which basically sounded like he'd hoped he'd be ready but he's not, or he didn't know what was wrong with him.

The only time I'd really be interested in seeing Thiago play now is if we're seven up against the mancs and they're all knackered and generally suicidal and we can just ping the ball around for 15 minutes and laugh at them, either that or in a charity match against players with one leg.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Probably because they expect him to get injured again almost instantly. 

There's something odd about players who're always injured like Sturredge and Keita, unless they're the unluckiest people alive there must be some sort of psychological component.

There's been some cryptic Klopp comments in the past about Thiago which basically sounded like he'd hoped he'd be ready but he's not, or he didn't know what was wrong with him.

The only time I'd really be interested in seeing Thiago play now is if we're seven up against the mancs and they're all knackered and generally suicidal and we can just ping the ball around for 15 minutes and laugh at them, either that or in a charity match against players with one leg.

It’s not the same thing for every player though. Keita was probably just a complete fanny, Sturridge was genuinely just not up to top level football physically. He quite clearly lost speed and agility after each layoff.

Someone like Fabio Aurelio as well, quality player but had terrible luck with injuries. Remember when his Achilles went in the middle of a game quite visibly, there’s no faking that, or coming back quickly from it either.