You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

21 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

My eldest lad has just tested positive on an LFT. The other 3 of us tested negative.

So all booked in for a PCR this PM. Me and other half are tripped jabbed, kids are too young anyway. 

No symptoms at all, only tested as we were going to book late tickets for a circus type thing. Luckily haven’t booked anything.

I’m calling bullshit on this 7 day self isolation and LFT approach.  Swear my lad got it from someone who come out of self isolation ’early’.

I’m just gonna hunker down with the lad regardless of my test result and get a load of beers in and watch footy.

1 positive, 3 negative results on PCR.

So the eldest lad is self isolating and we’re LFT’ing for the next week or so.

Hoping for no more positives as we’ve got tickets for Hot Wheels Monster Trucks Live on the 9th at the O2 and obviously that is way more important than anything else right now in our house.

• Upvote 4

So, Omicron.

Looking at Malta and Denmark, vaccinations don't seem to do too much to prevent transmissions, but in these two vaccination champions hospitalization rate looks to be around or under one percent and I would say that the death rate is several times lower than with the previous variant.  

UK may therefore easily expect 150 to 250 thousand cases a day with up to 2,000 daily hospitalizations. 

But what happens next?

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So, Omicron.

Looking at Malta and Denmark, vaccinations don't seem to do too much to prevent transmissions, but in these two vaccination champions hospitalization rate looks to be around or under one percent and I would say that the death rate is several times lower than with the previous variant.  

UK may therefore easily expect 150 to 250 thousand cases a day with up to 2,000 daily hospitalizations. 

But what happens next?

Winter is coming 

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So, Omicron.

But what happens next?

People frequently say vaccination doesnt seem to do much to prevent transmission of the virus. This is true to some degree but doesnt reflect the whole reality.

The current vaccine, whatever the manufacturer, to my knowledge at least, was developed when the first variant of the virus was evident. But, as we know, the virus mutates rapidly whereas the vaccine, again, to my knowledge, isnt tweaked every time there's a new variant discovered.

That means the vaccine will be less effective with each mutation the virus goes through.

People will then say well why not tweak the vaccine? Good question. I guess the answer to that is, the current vaccine maintains high protection against the virus' symptoms, reducing hospitalisations and damage to respiratory tracts.

Also, the virus is mutating quickly so vaccine makers are almost playing whack a mole with each successive mutation. There's also the cost which I imagine isnt inconsiderable plus, failed trials or revised vaccines that dont offer any greater protection than the original vaccine.

Also, if it's true (may be a big if though) that two doses still protect you from hospitalization, that China bitch from Ethiopia at the helm of WHO may be right, all this mass boostering going on in Europe could be pointless, beyond vulnerable categories, it would be much better to focus on vaccinating globally (although I don't know if availability is still the main issue).

And probably focus on vaccinating purebloods, by whatever means necessary.   

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im not sure any vaccination will 100% protect you from hospitalisation. Neither is vaccination 100% guaranteed that you wont catch the relevant disease or suffer some of its symptoms.

I dont get why these particular mantras are trotted out against the current vaccine.

That is really not my point, if you aimed it at me. Until very recently I thought fast rollout of booster shots is the best thing that can be done, now I am leaning towards that it may prove to have been pointless, until the new vaccines come out. To me, it now increasingly looks like we will all have to get the virus eventually, and then there will be seasonal vaccinations of the vulnerable, like with the flu.

22 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

People frequently say vaccination doesnt seem to do much to prevent transmission of the virus. This is true to some degree but doesnt reflect the whole reality.

The current vaccine, whatever the manufacturer, to my knowledge at least, was developed when the first variant of the virus was evident. But, as we know, the virus mutates rapidly whereas the vaccine, again, to my knowledge, isnt tweaked every time there's a new variant discovered.

That means the vaccine will be less effective with each mutation the virus goes through.

People will then say well why not tweak the vaccine? Good question. I guess the answer to that is, the current vaccine maintains high protection against the virus' symptoms, reducing hospitalisations and damage to respiratory tracts.

Also, the virus is mutating quickly so vaccine makers are almost playing whack a mole with each successive mutation. There's also the cost which I imagine isnt inconsiderable plus, failed trials or revised vaccines that dont offer any greater protection than the original vaccine.

Playing whack a mole is what currently happens with flu vaccines each year. Scientists the world over coordinate to identify the most likely strain to dominate the coming winter and release vaccines accordingly. 

https://theconversation.com/flu-vaccines-are-updated-every-year-we-can-learn-from-this-process-as-we-respond-to-covid-variants-156580

• Upvote 2

Simmer down you lads.

Omicron is “not the same disease we were seeing a year ago” and high Covid death rates in the UK are “now history”, a leading immunologist has said.

Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University and the government’s life sciences adviser, said that although hospitalisations had increased in recent weeks as Omicron spreads through the population, the disease “appears to be less severe and many people spend a relatively short time in hospital”.

Fewer patients were needing high-flow oxygen and the average length of stay was down to three days, he said.

11 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I wonder how long it'll be before people start using what variant they got in a pissing contest.

"Which one did you have? Oh, that's the weak one, I got it when it was really strong. Not like these modern variants"

As I got the Oxford jab I still refer to anyone who got Moderna and Pfizer as 'scumbag college'.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Playing whack a mole is what currently happens with flu vaccines each year. Scientists the world over coordinate to identify the most likely strain to dominate the coming winter and release vaccines accordingly. 

https://theconversation.com/flu-vaccines-are-updated-every-year-we-can-learn-from-this-process-as-we-respond-to-covid-variants-156580

Yes, I know. And that's why the efficacy of flu vaccines varies each year. Back in 2017 \ 18, the flu vaccine in the UK was less effective and lead to a spike in unfortunate 'excess deaths' that winter.

37 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

As I got the Oxford jab I still refer to anyone who got Moderna and Pfizer as 'scumbag college'.

My mates in Southsea all had the moderna jab and think everyone up north is a peasant for getting the Oxford jab 

Twats 

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I wonder how long it'll be before people start using what variant they got in a pissing contest.

"Which one did you have? Oh, that's the weak one, I got it when it was really strong. Not like these modern variants"

"I got the Kent variant, not like that foreign muck you lot are all getting now"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The-Sir said:

The old man has just returned a positive test, late 60's with quite severe COPD and asthma so a bit worrying. He's triple jabbed though and will likely get those newly approved antivirals because of his chest, so fingers crossed. 

Fingers crossed for him pal. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The-Sir said:

The old man has just returned a positive test, late 60's with quite severe COPD and asthma so a bit worrying. He's triple jabbed though and will likely get those newly approved antivirals because of his chest, so fingers crossed. 

Fingers crossed mate. Hopefully he fights it off. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, The-Sir said:

I know a bloke with COPD and shadows on his lungs who was double jabbed that got Covid, he was under the weather but nothing serious so hopefully your dad has a similar experience.

• Upvote 2