You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I got an antibody test kit via the app the other day. I did the finger pin prick earlier and my desk ended up looking like an abattoir, it's quite difficult to squeeze the blood from your finger tip into the narrow neck of the vial, and it bled for ages after. It's for science though.

Oo, I’m quite intrigued about doing that

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I thought antibody tests were blag? They were trying to make them work weren't they early on and they were all over the shop.

I think I read something last week that the tests were now accurate enough to distinguish between antibodies produced through infection and via vaccination. Not sure whether that'll be the test I'll get though.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/indias-covid-19-death-toll-is-likely-in-the-millions-study-finds-11626792531

NEW DELHI—The true tally of Covid-19 deaths in India following a devastating spring surge is likely close to 10 times higher than the country’s official count, marking the pandemic as one of the worst tragedies to ever hit the South Asian nation, according to a new study.

India has officially recorded more than 414,000 coronavirus deaths, but scientists and researchers have said that number undercounts the real toll. When India’s cases peaked in April and May, hospitals across the country were forced to turn away patients who later died at home, often untested.

The study pegged excess deaths—or the number of people who died beyond what is normally expected—at between 3.4 million and 4.7 million from January 2020 to June 2021, according to the report released Tuesday from Arvind Subramanian, a former chief economic adviser for the Indian government, and researchers at the Center for Global Development and Harvard University.

One estimate in the study pegged Covid-19 deaths at about four million, roughly 10 times the official count. “True deaths are likely to be in the several millions, not hundreds of thousands, making this arguably India’s worst human tragedy since partition and independence,” the report said.

The study was based on three data sources: deaths from several states logged into the country’s civil registration system, blood tests that show antibodies for the virus in India along with fatality rates in other countries, and a nationwide household survey that is conducted three times a year.

Researchers said that estimating Covid-19 deaths with confidence may prove elusive. But all estimates, they noted, put the true toll of the pandemic at many times higher than the official death count.

Researchers also said that as many as two million deaths occurred before the surge in April and May. The fatalities were spread over a longer stretch of time, which muted the apparent severity. Failing to understand the scale of death, the report said, may have “bred the collective complacency that led to the horrors of the second wave.”

Watched a local interview here with the head of the virus research unit. She was explaining tbe difference between all the variants. She said the delta variant had developed as very sticky which made it so much more easier to contract. She said of all the variants though the one that caused them the most stress was the beta variant from the early days but she was fairly confident the vaccine would give a good level of protection. The one question she couldnt answer was how long the vaccine would protect for.

22 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

BBC are reporting that, based on public data, Harvard are estimating 4 million dead in India. 4 million! 

But but its just a flu it will be over by last winter herd immunity waffle waffle museums 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I thought antibody tests were blag? They were trying to make them work weren't they early on and they were all over the shop.

In about March/April when it first kicked of my family got wind of a doctor offering them and as a few of us had something resembling it we thought we'd try, mainly in the hope that we'd be able to get on with our lives in our ignorance.

Anyhows this 'doctor' turns up at our house in a flash Merc and with very little of what you'd call bed side manner.

As I'm the alpha I offer up my blood first...Just as she starts talking about it being a Chinese conspiracy and that she's had it twice already...the family start asking awkward questions of her which put into question her medical record, simple thing like 'do blood types effect this?' She didn't agree that blood types existed!

Surprisingly none of us who had had 'it' had it so she starts to make excuses and scuttles off.

She still invoiced us for £500 which we took great pleasure in telling her to fuck off over.

Some right cunts about.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

BBC are reporting that, based on public data, Harvard are estimating 4 million dead in India. 4 million! 

Not many people in India were vaccinated and a lot died because there were no hospital beds for them. Also a big elderly unvaccinated population meant there was massive risks for them.

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

No paediatric ICU beds anywhere in

the U.K. today. But that’s ok, because they’ve had a good life and were going to die anyway.  

Yeah many of those over 80's lived through the blitz but they need to make room now for selfish entitled people who cry about wearing a mask on a bus or in a shop. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

In about March/April when it first kicked of my family got wind of a doctor offering them and as a few of us had something resembling it we thought we'd try, mainly in the hope that we'd be able to get on with our lives in our ignorance.

Anyhows this 'doctor' turns up at our house in a flash Merc and with very little of what you'd call bed side manner.

As I'm the alpha I offer up my blood first...Just as she starts talking about it being a Chinese conspiracy and that she's had it twice already...the family start asking awkward questions of her which put into question her medical record, simple thing like 'do blood types effect this?' She didn't agree that blood types existed!

Surprisingly none of us who had had 'it' had it so she starts to make excuses and scuttles off.

She still invoiced us for £500 which we took great pleasure in telling her to fuck off over.

Some right cunts about.

So you ordered the test knowing the cost, then didn’t like that she had a nice car or her personality, didn’t get the results you wanted/expected, and so decided you weren’t going to pay her?

Just now, belarus said:

So you ordered the test knowing the cost, then didn’t like that she had a nice car or her personality, didn’t get the results you wanted/expected, and so decided you weren’t going to pay her?

No, she was a scam artist, we clocked her pretty soon.