You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

34 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Some positive news? 

Could it be that the claimed effect from the Euros has finished and that explains the drop. It will be interesting to see next week if we start to see a rise caused by the relaxation of the social distancing/mask wearing etc. 

If you aren’t testing you won’t find cases.

Theres been a breakdown in testing, that’s what the post previous hints at with ‘caveats’, that’s the second time I’ve seen it reported as that today. So it might be a bit of a false dawn as you’ll not be able to tell about transmission without testing.

The mega lab that was set up is running at low capacity affecting numbers.

I don’t understand it all, so I might be wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/18/exclusive-covid-testing-mega-lab-operating-less-10-per-cent/amp/

Just been to the shops, shit got real. No Peroni in the first 3 I went to. Luckily every shop I went in everyone, except a girl in Izzy’s class and her mum, wore a mask.  

We are off to Ibiza tomorrow so fingers crossed I won’t be allowed back in. 

Not sure if this had been asked before, and things can change over time anyway, but is anyone having conflict at home as a person you live with doesn't want to be as careful as you are (or vice versa)?  It's causing tremendous trouble in my abode, we are at total opposite ends of the scale.

How are people dealing with this?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

Not sure if this had been asked before, and things can change over time anyway, but is anyone having conflict at home as a person you live with doesn't want to be as careful as you are (or vice versa)?  It's causing tremendous trouble in my abode, we are at total opposite ends of the scale.

Thankfully we are both decent human beings. Sounds like you need a shot gun mate. Blam 

I'm kidding. 

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

We had this at the very beginning. Nobody really to blame, just one of the pitfalls of being polar opposites.

I found myself devouring all info from all available sources, including this place. As a result I probably worked myself into a state that wasn’t helped by the wife maintaining a position somewhere between oblivion and denial. 

As the pandemic progressed, I calmed down and it dawned on her that this might be something worthy of at least five minutes of attention. Since then things have been better, in this area anyway.

I guess they key is to try to understand the other point of view, even if you don’t agree with it. Then try to operate within each others ‘zone of tolerance’ as best you can.

Easier said thanks done sometimes I know. Believe me I know…

Hope it works itself out. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

We had this at the very beginning. Nobody really to blame, just one of the pitfalls of being polar opposites.

I found myself devouring all info from all available sources, including this place. As a result I probably worked myself into a state that wasn’t helped by the wife maintaining a position somewhere between oblivion and denial. 

As the pandemic progressed, I calmed down and it dawned on her that this might be something worthy of at least five minutes of attention. Since then things have been better, in this area anyway.

I guess they key is to try to understand the other point of view, even if you don’t agree with it. Then try to operate within each others ‘zone of tolerance’ as best you can.

I had something very similar with my missus. I had to isolate right at the start as I had a course of steroids. She was in the it's just 'flu camp. If anything, it's now the other way round, as she has to be very careful as part of her job.

Sorry, that doesn't really help you much, Moo, but I'd agree with YorkshireRed that you need to find a middle ground, like with a lot of other issues, compromise is key.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thankfully we are both decent human beings. Sounds like you need a shot gun mate. Blam 

I'm kidding. 

Think it's more likely she's on the verge of taking the shotgun to me.

To be fair I don't think she's being a total dick, she will continue to wear a mask, be careful round vulnerable people etc.  But also doesn't want to not be able to go in a pub if she feels like it, okay I say "go in a pub with a beer garden" but apparently even suggesting that is over the top.  She just doesn't want to have to think about it any more.  She'll continue with good habits but wants to get back to a level of normality that I'm not happy with.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Think it's more likely she's on the verge of taking the shotgun to me.

To be fair I don't think she's being a total dick, she will continue to wear a mask, be careful round vulnerable people etc.  But also doesn't want to not be able to go in a pub if she feels like it, okay I say "go in a pub with a beer garden" but apparently even suggesting that is over the top.  She just doesn't want to have to think about it any more.  She'll continue with good habits but wants to get back to a level of normality that I'm not happy with.

Aah mate its a division round the world. It's good she's still doing the right things though. You will wrk it out mate. It's tough, we all want to be able to go to the pub and everything be back to normal. Unfortunately reality (that word again) is reality. 

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying I really am.  As far as I'm concerned there's no rush to get back to normality and I can carry on living the lockdown life if necessary for another 6, 12 months. But I know that's not ideal if you're cohabiting and it's a lot to ask.

So I try to compromise as described in a previous post, and she will try too but not without a massive kick off.  

We've had very different experiences throughout this, she's lost a loved one who she couldn't really see in the final months so thinks "fuck it".  And I'm scared of losing loved ones a few of whom have either serious illness or are otherwise vulnerable or shielding and rely on me.

It's just shit.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Aah mate its a division round the world. It's good she's still doing the right things though. You will wrk it out mate. It's tough, we all want to be able to go to the pub and everything be back to normal. Unfortunately reality (that word again) is reality. 

Yeah I know, thanks. In the meantime I best hide all the knives and heavy pans!

13 minutes ago, Moo said:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying I really am.  As far as I'm concerned there's no rush to get back to normality and I can carry on living the lockdown life if necessary for another 6, 12 months. But I know that's not ideal if you're cohabiting and it's a lot to ask.

So I try to compromise as described in a previous post, and she will try too but not without a massive kick off.  

We've had very different experiences throughout this, she's lost a loved one who she couldn't really see in the final months so thinks "fuck it".  And I'm scared of losing loved ones a few of whom have either serious illness or are otherwise vulnerable or shielding and rely on me.

It's just shit.

No problem - just don’t let the pressure build too much. Vent when you need to, here’s as good a place as any. As has been said, there’s loads who’ve been through, are going through or will go through similar. We’re all different and each of us go through the change curve at different speeds, often for different reasons. 

It is shit, but you’re not alone. 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I really feel for you, mister. I had a little bit of it at the start with a bit of the ‘they’re doing the best they can’ and ‘you’ve been spending too much time online’ but over time he’s definitely come a long way on that score and we’re pretty much on the same page and have been for a long time. 

My biggest one is a woman I work quite closely with at work. She knows her stuff at work but has revealed herself as a massive covid sceptic and the atmosphere can be really difficult. I don’t know how you come back from this stuff