You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Unless we plan to loan of alot of them lads that played yesterday I reckon we will be very quiet in the window this summer. The club won't want to block their path with them close to the first team. Could see it being a really quiet couple of years unless we decide to cash in on somebody. 

In a great position at the moment. 

• Like 1

The move to align senior squad and development groups on the same site. Prioritising modest youth signings like Elliott and van den Berg last summer over adding big money deals for the league push. The way we prefer to let older players without massive resale value run their contracts down to maximise their experience and manage transition.

It all makes me think we’ll now be even more sparing, with signings for the first team squad only for perfect fit players at the right age/price/profile where we have a pressing need, and any other new blood coming via the academy. 

Only exception to that will be the odd sale of someone who wants to try a different league/country, and/or who we feel represents too good a deal to miss just before they dip from their peak, allowing us to buy someone coming into the ascendancy.

• Upvote 1

It will be really attractive to the top talent too. And with the uncertainty with work permits and Brexit getting the top youngsters will be a must. The FA will view Brexit as a way around a EU ban on foreign player quotas. 

The issue is it'll be like it was in the 90s/00 when the mancs used all their influence to get young players permits while we were getting told to fuck off on the likes of Gonzalez and Leto

Kind of amalgamating threads, but my comments on the Duncan one about the fine balance of keeping talented kids patient here when they’re ready to play first team football somewhere, made me think one of the ways you’d juggle that is them seeing an open path rather than top class new signings arriving in their position.

Another needle for him to thread in the coming years. No doubt will depend on just how good they think individuals can become in some cases. And winning the title this year, to remove the pressure of that monkey on the back.

There is young talent, then there is top young talent. I would have Williams and Jones and maybe Elliot in the latter category. There aren't a whole lot of loan options for players of that level that make sense. They are far better off staying here and developing in one of the best systems and around some of the top players in the world.

I’m just slowly and unsubtly working my way back to my Hoever point of the other week, so I can pretend it’s just occurred to me again now, because the kids got a run out yesterday.

Forget the fact he didn’t play; irrelevant.

Also, 3 Stacks must be destroyed.

4 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I’m just slowly and unsubtly working my way back to my Hoever point of the other week, so I can pretend it’s just occurred to me again now, because the kids got a run out yesterday.

Forget the fact he didn’t play; irrelevant.

Also, 3 Stacks must be destroyed.

About what?

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

About what?

We had a mildly different opinion on the likelihood of Klopp buying a new centre back this summer.

I’m committed to ending you as an internet presence because of it.

Even though I’m also totally cool and unbothered about it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

We had a mildly different opinion on the likelihood of Klopp buying a new centre back this summer.

I’m committed to ending you as an internet presence because of it.

Even though I’m also totally cool and unbothered about it.

Oh right, you thought Hoever would eventually step in and be given a chance to be a first team CB, but he didn't play yesterday. I'd say that's a notch in my favour. Worried yet that you'll look like a total fool?

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Oh right, you thought Hoever would eventually step in and be given a chance to be a first team CB, but he didn't play yesterday. I'd say that's a notch in my favour. Worried yet that you'll look like a total fool?

I worry about no man.

None.

If I had a reputation to speak of I may be marginally exercised, yes.

• Upvote 1

Looks like there are problems with the loan deal for Brewster to Swansea. Supposedly Brewster wants goal bonuses and Liverpool want minimum game time which would result in a fine if Swansea don't match minimum. Looks like he could still either go to another team like Leeds or stay if they can't sort out terms.

Trabzonspor president Ahmet Agaoglu has confirmed that the club have received an offer from Liverpool for goalkeeper Ugurcan Cakir.

Cakir has impressed for the Turkish side so far this season, having appeared in 16 of his side’s Super Lig games this term and making 24 outings in total.

Previous reports have linked the 23-year-old with a move to the Premier League, with the Reds, West Ham and Manchester United all linked in recent weeks.

It is not clear if all of the aforementioned teams are keen on the stopper, but Agaoglu has now confirmed that Liverpool have made a concrete approach for the player.

Indeed, the club’s president hinted that Liverpool could even get the deal over the line.

“There are offers for Cakir, we continue to receive offers. It’s been said Liverpool have made an offer,” the club’s president said in quotes cited by The Metro.

“So a team that is undefeated in the Premier League wants my keeper. In other words Liverpool’s goalkeeper is in my goal.”

Liverpool lost Simon Mignolet to Club Brugge in the summer but were quick to find a back-up goalkeeper soon after, with Adrian joining at the start of August.

Adrian made an incredible impression after just four days at his new club, saving the final penalty which won the Reds the UEFA Super Cup against Chelsea.

The Spaniard then made eight successive Premier League appearances due to Alisson’s calf injury and impressed.

However, the 33-year-old has one season left on his current deal at Anfield – including the option of an extra year – and Liverpool will undoubtedly be looking to the future to replace him.

Elsewhere, Liverpool have announced a reportedly lucrative new kit deal with Nike which will come into effect from the start of the 2020/21 season.

According to Forbes, the deal will be worth substantially more than the £75m Manchester United receive from adidas each season.

Liverpool’s managing director and chief commercial officer, Billy Hogan, said: “Our iconic kit is a key part of our history and identity.

“We welcome Nike into the LFC family as our new official kit supplier and expect them to be an incredible partner for the club, both at home and globally as we continue to expand our fanbase.

“As a brand, Nike reflects our ambitions for growth, and we look forward to working with them to bring fans new and exciting products.”

Not a transfer as such but couldnt find anywhere suitable:

arsenal are fighting to prevent highly-respected head of medical services Gary O'Driscoll from joining Liverpool.

Andrew Massey, the Reds' current head of medical services, is set to leave Anfield to take up a similar role at world football's governing body FIFA, a position he is due to take up from March 1.

The Premier League leaders have already begun the process of identifying candidates to replace Massey - and Sportsmail understands the Gunners' top doctor O'Driscoll is emerging as a leading contender for the soon-to-be vacant position.

O'Driscoll is widely recognised as being one of the best in his field and Arsenal are determined to keep him at the Emirates.

But the lure of joining the current Champions League holders and Premier League champions elect is understandably a tempting proposition for the doctor, who has been at Arsenal since 2009.

He has roots in the north-west having spent a period working in Manchester during the 2000s, so a move to Liverpool could suit.

O'Driscoll, who has held lead positions with the British Lions and Ireland rugby team, survived a cull of senior backroom staff following the departure of Arsene Wenger in 2018.

At the time, the manner in which some of their former colleagues were treated by Arsenal in the aftermath of Wenger's exit disappointed members of staff of who remain at the club to this day.

But the return of Mikel Arteta as manager has raised hope of a brighter future at the Emirates Stadium and there is hope the renewed optimism around the club can play a part in persuading O'Driscoll to remain in London.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7862073/Liverpool-target-Arsenals-head-medical-services-Gary-ODriscoll-replace-Andrew-Massey.html

Saw Leon Bailey linked to us today.

Lemar was rumoured to be leaving Atletico soon.

Old names, but still talented and might become options if they're value is too tempting.  Klopp can get the best out of players and they have the skillset & proven it before.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Everything I've seen of Brewster up to now he looks miles away from being ready for this level. But we do have to remember he's barely kicked a ball for 2 years. A good run somewhere might be just what he needs. 

He's a brilliant finisher.

Not convinced about the rest of his game.

But yes, games are what he needs to develop further.