You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko

Kevin D

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is going to win?

2. 2. How

Great fight, excellent win for AJ. I fancied Wlad to win it before the fight but Joshua showed unbelievable character to recover and win that. He looked totally spent by the end of round 5. I have no idea how he got up in the 6th round after being pout down. This was just Joshua's 19th fight. He's got some future ahead of him if he sorts out his stamina. 

What a fight! One of the best if not the best fight I've ever seen.

The 5th round was so bizarre. Joshua fucking battered him but by the end of the round he looked like he'd expended so much energy that he was out on his feet. A round that was 10-8 Joshua probably went back to 10-10 even with the knockdown.

When Joshua did get knocked down I thought here we go another Amir Khan but fair fucks he got back up and won the fight.

Delighted for Joshua. You could actually see him maturing in the fight. He started trash talking in the ring to Klitschko when the fight seemed to be going away from him. The upper cut that ended it was absolutely devastating.

Brilliant boxing. Watched it with a load of people who have no interest and they loved it too.

Just goes to show that Joshua does gas after someone stands up to his barrage of punches he throws and is quite chinny, that said he showed great powers of recovery. No one gets near him now for me, unless Wilder connects with his first few he throws.

Wouldn't really call him chinny mate, he took a few heavy shots off the former division kingpin and still got him out there. Wlad hasn't come out like that in a long time and probably the only reason he did was because everyone said he was gunshy against Fury.

Not that I think Fury will get himself back in shape enough to fight Joshua but it'd be nice to see 2 British heavyweights battling it out to be the number 1.

Wouldn't really call him chinny mate, he took a few heavy shots off the former division kingpin and still got him out there. Wlad hasn't come out like that in a long time and probably the only reason he did was because everyone said he was gunshy against Fury.

Not that I think Fury will get himself back in shape enough to fight Joshua but it'd be nice to see 2 British heavyweights battling it out to be the number 1.

It was the first real shot he took in the fight, it was a big one though and he only took one big one from Whyte and was a bit unsteady. I'm glad he won.

Think Joshua will look a bit green at times and not go as gung-ho as usual to save gassing , but Klitschko will be too gun-shy to take the necessary chances & Joshua wins in a fairly ordinary fight over 12 rounds.

I think the fact you are not allowed to neg yourself is a disgrace. Sort it out Dave.

Just watched the whole fight again.

What happened with Joshua between 4 and 5? He fought slowly and cagey then as soon as the bell went for 5 he steamed out and tried to take him out, didn't really understand that unless he knew he was gassing and wanted him out quickly but then Wlad took over the round, Joshua has major stamina issues it was almost unreal how quickly he gassed it was David Price levels of gassing it's just Wlad didn't really go for him, if he'd just stood there swinging at him the ref would have had no choice but to stop it, the ref could have really stopped it anyway in the 5th, he was was all over the shop and was hardly getting hit flushly but one big shot in that round could have put him in hospital, he literally stopped fighting back.

Then in the 6th after Wlad knocked him down he should have just went for it, Josh was gone, he had nothing left at all. Jonathan Banks in the background screaming and telling him to come for him but he never did and he gave the younger man time to recover and for me once that happened there was only one winner.

I can't see there being a rematch, what's the point? Wlad will be another year older and Joshua would have learned so much from this one he'll defeat him a lot easier, this was Wlads only chance to take him out due to the inexperience of Joshua. Great fight though.

Also I still can't get over them cards. Unless the 2 which had Joshua 2 up counted the 11th as a 10-8 because he was down? Does the round you get knocked down on count in the cards or not because the round is over before you score it?

Best heavyweight fight I've seen in a long time. Fair fucks to both fighters. I thought the stoppage was a bit early, but either way it was some recovery by Joshua, because I genuinely thought he was out in his feet.

As for calling either of them chinny. Fuck off, they're taking punches from 17 stone brutes. All heavyweights have the capability to knock each other out. There's not a single heavyweight alive that can stand there and take clean punches from a fellow heavyweight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

I don't get the furore over the cards. I've watched it back a few times and I had Joshua 1 ahead going into the 11th. I only gave Klitschko one of the first 5 rounds and the 5th was a 10-8 (I actually scored it a 10-9 due to Klitschko dominating the last 2 minutes).

Strip away all of the context and just judge the rounds on an even keel.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the furore over the cards. I've watched it back a few times and I had Joshua 1 ahead going into the 11th. I only gave Klitschko one of the first 5 rounds and the 5th was a 10-8 (I actually scored it a 10-9 due to Klitschko dominating the last 2 minutes).

Strip away all of the context and just judge the rounds on an even keel.

Wlad was controlling the fight and it was at his pace, Joshua was only really throwing the odd bomb in the first few rounds and none of them really landed you can see all the redness on Wlads shoulders and upper back as to where he was taking them, so for me Wlad won 3/4 of the first 5. And the 5th is tough to score but is it really a 10-8 round to Joshua even though after the first minute he didn't throw a punch and could have been stopped, like you said it should be 10-9 or even a 10-10.

Great win for Joshua.

Throws up the whole great heavyweights debate. Its difficult to argue against Tyson in his prime. Ive not seen anyone that even comes near him. The loss to Buster Douglas was in the midst of his personal life imploding and the (deserved)prison sentence  denied us what would have been a super bout between Tyson and Holyfield- of course they eventually fought years later, but back then Holyfield, excusing the pun, was the real deal.

Theres little point bemoaning Tysons own self destruction as the madness that surrounded him, for a time, is what made him the absolute menace he was. It could never last and its why we don't see fighters like him often as he was a bit unhinged.

You can only fight what the division offers, sadly for Joshua, that isn't a lot. He'll fight Wilder and Fury and end up back with Klitchsko through lack of big money options. The fact that Fury is in the conversation illustrates how bad the division is really       

• Upvote 2

The cards wont include the 11th,you can tell that from the scoring

Powell(Daily Mai) had Wlad up by 1 going into 11th

Mirror had AJ up by 2

So the official cards were 2x 95-93 AJ and 1x 95-93 WK

AJ

6 Rounds 60

3 Rounds 27

1 Round 8(Knocked down)

WK

4 Rounds 40

5 Rounds 45

1 Round 8

So two refs have it 5 rounds to 3 for AJ with 1 round a draw and one 8-10 round each

I dont see the issue to be honest,even though i was scoring round by round. mIght rewatch at work tomorrow 

I dont think 5-3 is ut of the question as the early rounds were close. Wlad landing more jabs but the bigger shots from AJ

Even if you had it 95-93 WK going into 11 had he survived and not been stopped and only gone down twice your card would have been

103-102 to AJ going into the 12 and Wlad would have needed a knock down to win the title. 

• Upvote 1

On Boxing Forum 24 all the talk in the build up and now evidently in the post match talk is all about how Joshua is 100% on HGH and insulin because of his new found size and HGH gut, he's definitely been on something in the past even it was when he was 18 but I can't see it now, surely he'd get caught. Why do so many people try and tar somebody's big night.

Dan Rafael (whose scoring I respect) had it level going into the 11th.

I don't see people's issue with the scorecards at all, Klitschko didn't dominate the early rounds at all, watch it again. It was pretty cagey stuff early on with Joshua forcing the pace.

• Upvote 1

Dan Rafael can't score a fight to save his life. Great reporter however. I'll need to watch the fight again, but thought the scorecards were a bit of a joke tbh. Glad AJ knocked him out to settle it once and for all.

Joshua destroys Wilder, who is nothing special apart from a cracking right hand. His chin is questionable and he's not on either Klitschko or AJ's level boxing wise. The only fight of interest is the Fury one, but I'd imagine we'll be waiting awhile whilst Fury sorts himself out.