You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal 3 Liverpool 4 (Aug 14 2016)

tlw content

I was young and thought Kenny was the whole team. I remember my grandad saying my football team needed to get Joe fagin to manage us and I went 'who?'

I was with my family in Southport on a day out years ago and we bumped into Joe Fagan down some side street or other, he looked bewildered and uncomfortable and ill. I don't know what his illness was but his face was very bloated and he was breathing heavily and he looked terrible unfortunately. Was torn between trying to introduce my boys to the great man and asking for all n autograph which I think he was anticipating but because of his demeanour and appearance I didn't bother him and he wandered on. He died a few weeks later and to this day I always regret not taking the opportunity of thanking him for everything.

• Upvote 3

I hated Rush for a good while towards the end of his career.

Actually I never really liked him and it's only in recent years I've appreciated how great he was.

This is worse than some of the stuff posted on the GF breakfast thread.

Fuck me.

That thing Roy Evans had about keeping or bringing in older players like rush and riedle, that was a step away from Paisley 'don't let their legs go on your pitch'

How well did that work for us? Rush schooled fowler and he won a couple of league cups, fa cup and uefa cup. Think he won young player of the year as well. Owen schooled briefly by riedle won a couple of league cups, fa cup and uefa cup plus European footballer of the year. Did he win any domestic player awards? Was he spoty?

His joint manager, Houllier brought in mcallister probably with an eye on him helping Gerrard. Stevie won 3 league cups, 2 fa cups, uefa and champions league as well player of the year and young player of the year.

This schooling has brought the club lots of cup success and the players individual achievements but no leagues. Unfortunately we have no one coming through the ranks with an ounce of the talent of these 3 to look at doing it a different way or was this something we did before? Was callaghan kept on to school heighway or did we get rid of everyone as soon as they started going down hill?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I never said I liked Moreno.

Hating rush is probably a bit like United fans hating Rooney now. He's won everything. He's top goal scorer but he's not the player he was and the memories of cup final wins over Everton are clouded by some God awful performances at the end of his career when we also went from winning everything to winning nothing. I preferred stylish creative players like Kenny who made the goals and as I said it's only in recent years I ve truly realised how great rush was. Will we see anyone beat his goal scoring record in our life times?

Negged.

That thing Roy Evans had about keeping or bringing in older players like rush and riedle, that was a step away from Paisley 'don't let their legs go on your pitch'

How well did that work for us? Rush schooled fowler and he won a couple of league cups, fa cup and uefa cup. Think he won young player of the year as well. Owen schooled briefly by riedle won a couple of league cups, fa cup and uefa cup plus European footballer of the year. Did he win any domestic player awards? Was he spoty?

His joint manager, Houllier brought in mcallister probably with an eye on him helping Gerrard. Stevie won 3 league cups, 2 fa cups, uefa and champions league as well player of the year and young player of the year.

This schooling has brought the club lots of cup success and the players individual achievements but no leagues. Unfortunately we have no one coming through the ranks with an ounce of the talent of these 3 to look at doing it a different way or was this something we did before? Was callaghan kept on to school heighway or did we get rid of everyone as soon as they started going down hill?

He was our Morientes of the 90s I suppose but he was more of a team player, and as you say, was a crucial mentor for Fowler.

He was our Morientes of the 90s I suppose but he was more of a team player, and as you say, was a crucial mentor for Fowler.

Yes but was it of the greatest benefit to us that these players who's legs were going or gone were kept on as mentors and players rather than bringing in competition for the players like fowler?

A plague of locusts be upon thee, may the extra terrible shithouse ebolaids infest your underpants and bugger up your shit Mr Spaco Molesteran.

Hate Ian Rush ???

I'm going to sleep and hope I never again wake up in a world inhabited by such unGodly insanity.

Come on, if this place had ve been around he'd have got the same treatment from plenty that Kenny Stevie Rafa and Carra got. Don't kid yourself.

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Follow

LFChistory.net @LFChistory

A little known Welshman joined #LFC from 3rd div Chester on 18 August 1980. He scored 346 goals in 660 matches!!

10:23 AM - 18 Aug 2016

21 21 Retweets 22 22 likes

Personally, Rush has always been a massive hero of mine, I remember being absolutely devastated when he joined Juventus, getting into fights with my brother over it and everything.

Just born to score goals, his movement in the box was legendary. Helps that he was a top bloke.

Can't understand any red disliking Rush, at any stage of his Liverpool career, let alone hating him.

Yes but was it of the greatest benefit to us that these players who's legs were going or gone were kept on as mentors and players rather than bringing in competition for the players like fowler?

I didn't do him justice and he scored many more than I thought. Leaving out the 91-92 season when he was injured, here's his record in the 90s:

1990-91 - 26 goals

1992-93 - 22 goals

1993-94 - 19 goals

1994-95 - 19 goals

Same way United fans hate Rooney and wonder why he's still there.

The United fans who hate Rooney are twats in my opinion. You can think it's perhaps time for a player to move on while at the same respecting what he's done for the club, you can be decent about it and 'hate' is such a strong word.

They're wrong for 'hating' Rooney (if there are any, I know quite a few, none of whom 'hate' Rooney) and you were wrong for 'hating' Rush at the time.