You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

5 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Jeremy Corbyn: Junior Doctors starting salary should really be more than £23k. I mean in Australia it’s double that.

The right and centrists: Lolz you pay your call centre workers £21k. Fucking hypocrite. Gotcha.

viRdjil: eh?

Are you seriously comparing doctors and burger flippers?

6 hours ago, A Red said:

I didnt say Labour are underpaying their staff, indeed as you say its 55p more than the rate they would introduce as a minimum. Well done to them, its fair enough. No arguments.

The line that i am querying is Corbyn encouraging support for action in order for Mcdonalds to pay £15 when Labour only pay 2/3 of that for their unskilled workers. Unskilled is a harsh term I dont like btw. Urging fair contracts i can understand but not the pay level. Like I said, if Boris had done the same you might be raising an eyebrow.

I'd welcome it. Politicians lending their support to workers in these situations can only be a good thing in my book. I certainly wouldn't be focusing on some tenuous claim of hypocrisy.

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Supporting workers who are fighting for their pay and conditions isn't "populist bandwagon hopping" - it is the Labour Party's raison d'etre.  It's what we should be doing every day. 

Yes, quite.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/20/labour-staff-could-strike-over-pay-amid-concerns-at-office-culture

Labour staff, including some in Jeremy Corbyn’s office, are contemplating strike action over allegedly paltry pay rates amid anger at the management style of his chief-of-staff, Karie Murphy.

The Guardian understands Labour made an improved pay offer to staff of an annual rise of 2.2% on Thursday – but that falls short of the staff’s demand for a rise in line with RPI inflation, which stood at 3% in April.

The dispute covers all Labour staff, including those at its Southside HQ in Westminster and in the regions, and involves both the GMB and Unite unions.

Several employees the Guardian spoke to, on condition of anonymity, said there were particular concerns about the management culture in Corbyn’s office, which they described as ruthless.

A call centre job at a not-for-profit organisation and an entry level role at the largest chain in the world worth in excess of $30bn. I repeat, I was happy not bring other professions into it mate. I’m also happy for McDonald’s employees to organised a strike for them to get better pay. I really don’t understand the indignation over this. Are you a shareholder @A Red @Strontium Dog™?

13 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

A call centre job at a not-for-profit organisation and an entry level role at the largest chain in the world worth in excess of $30bn. I repeat, I was happy not bring other professions into it mate. I’m also happy for McDonald’s employees to organised a strike for them to get better pay. I really don’t understand the indignation over this. Are you a shareholder @A Red @Strontium Dog™?

I think the pertinent question here is, do you support Labour Party workers in their fight against paltry pay, and would you support them if they follow through with strike action?

10 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I just checked and one of my mutuals is. So butt out, commie!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think the pertinent question here is, do you support Labour Party workers in their fight against paltry pay, and would you support them if they follow through with strike action?

Haha. This is veering a bit too close to Sam Harris-esque non-sense thought experiment SD.

An interesting article on the positive impact on the industry from pay increase for restaurant staff in NYC.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/F9A6A6CA-F99F-11E9-935A-3C448AA7D9BE?__twitter_impression=true

Hopefully this will convince the pay increase sceptics that most likely this will not result in a total catastrophe for the UK economy cc @Strontium Dog™ @A Red @Rico1304

4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

An interesting article on the positive impact on the industry from pay increase for restaurant staff in NYC.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/F9A6A6CA-F99F-11E9-935A-3C448AA7D9BE?__twitter_impression=true

Hopefully this will convince the pay increase sceptics that most likely this will not result in a total catastrophe for the UK economy cc @Strontium Dog™ @A Red @Rico1304

Not sure what this has to do with me or why you've decided to mark me as a "pay increase sceptic"? I am on record here stating that the UK minimum wage should be guaranteed to at least 90% of the level of the independently calculated living wage:

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Seems to make sense that the more people that have a disposable income the better for the economy. 

Additionally, it reduces the burden on the state, because there's less need for government to supplement low incomes, and they pay more tax.

Not sure why aRdja thinks those are things I would be against.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not sure what this has to do with me or why you've decided to mark me as a "pay increase sceptic"? I am on record here stating that the UK minimum wage should be guaranteed to at least 90% of the level of the independently calculated living wage:

Ah I see, my mistake. So what is it about this particular McDonalds staff organised strike action that you’re against? Just Jeremy Corbyn’s support? Or do you feel that £15 per hour is too much?

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Did you also vote to cut spending on flood defences like the Tory/Lib-Dem coalition did in 2010? 

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Ah I see, my mistake. So what is it about this particular McDonalds staff organised strike action that you’re against? Just Jeremy Corbyn’s support?

Honestly, I must have mentioned half a dozen times that my issue is with demanding others pay £15 an hour when you only pay £10 an hour yourself.

I have no issue with people paying their staff £15 an hour, or indeed £10 an hour, as a general rule.