You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

He may well be a good keeper but mentally he is ruined, Here is not the place to rebuild his career, it won’t end well for him or us sadly. I wish the lad well but I don’t want us going into the new season with a huge question mark over the most important role in the team

Is there a "better than decent chance"? Really?

He's done it once in a competitive match and once in a pre-season friendly. I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shit that the same could be said of Allison, Oblak, Neuer, De Gea, etc.

People here are carrying on as if those two errors in the Champions League final are typical of what we see 10 times in every game. That's just nonsense.

It's a big ask for him to be able to come back, psychologically, from those CL errors. Maybe he will be able to do it; maybe he won't. Klopp will know better than anyone round here what Karius's chances are. It just sticks in my craw to see people round here piling into the lad, refusing to give him a chance and willing him to fail. It's the exact opposite of what supporters do.

If not drop it, then misjudge it, be too slow to save it, etc etc.

Even the best fans in the world can call it exactly as they see it, Mal.  Since Christmas I said he's going to cost us, this lad.  And he did.  I'll say it again right now.

The situation is irredeemable.  Act now.

• Upvote 1

He's done it once in a competitive match and once in a pre-season friendly. I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shit that the same could be said of Allison, Oblak, Neuer, De Gea, etc.

People here are carrying on as if those two errors in the Champions League final are typical of what we see 10 times in every game. That's just nonsense.

It's a big ask for him to be able to come back, psychologically, from those CL errors. Maybe he will be able to do it; maybe he won't. Klopp will know better than anyone round here what Karius's chances are. It just sticks in my craw to see people round here piling into the lad, refusing to give him a chance and willing him to fail. It's the exact opposite of what supporters do.

Where are people willing him to fail?

Seems to me most of what is being said is pretty reasonable concern that he represents a real achilles heel that opposition fans and players will target and that this is likely to cause us problems.

People here want the best for us - they want to see us 'back on our fucking perch' and wanting better in goal is a part of that, not wanting a weakness there for everyone to go after is a part of that.

It would be an incredible feat by him and by Klopp if the lad turns it around and it all worked out great and i think to a man here people would be made up to see it happen but can you honestly see it - the lad clearly has technique problems and for me a questionable mentallity that sadly is being put under the spotlight and will be put under the spotlight with increasing intensity....

Having a frigging nomark player from Tranmere laughing at him all over the internet is an embarrassment and I can't see how we can continue with him.

What he did in Kiev has started a ball rolling that i for one would be amazed if the end result was anything other than a big own goal if we stick with him.

• Upvote 1

You might be happy to put him in our goal to find this out but I, and I suspect the majority,  would rather he rebuilt his career elsewhere and someone better be brought in. 

It's just as much a nonsense mentioning him alongside Allison, Oblak, Neuer and De Gea. Karius made horrendous mistakes and generally isn't a top level goalkeeper.

The reason patience is limited is because this isn't a great keeper that made a couple of big errors. It's a keeper that isn't good enough for a club that wants to win major honours, that made some appalling mistakes that are going to be, for a multitude of reasons, incredibly difficult to get over.

Along with Mignolet and Bogdan, he just needs fucking off. It's not a nice situation for anyone, but we can't be chucking away another opportunity of a trophy out of loyalty to a player that isn't good enough. Two European finals now we've pissed away now because of players that simply aren't good enough, and it's fucking infuriating. And must be for our top players. It'll be a huge mistake from Klopp.

• Upvote 2

He's loyal but he's also pragmatic. Let's just see what happens.

Could go either way really. He stuck with Moreno because he couldn't find an affordable young LB as competition, but you'd have to think the GK position was deemed significantly different to that scenario.

It's a bit like the VVD saga last summer. Klopp is willing to spend big once he finds the right player, but if not he'll persist with what we have. Meanwhile, most fans are exasperated at the thought that our scouts can't find someone who's simply better than what we currently have.

Could go either way really. He stuck with Moreno because he couldn't find an affordable young LB as competition, but you'd have to think the GK position was deemed significantly different to that scenario.

It's a bit like the VVD saga last summer. Klopp is willing to spend big once he finds the right player, but if not he'll persist with what we have. Meanwhile, most fans are exasperated at the thought that our scouts can't find someone who's simply better than what we currently have.

We still have Moreno too, so you could make a point that Klopp is still loyal to him. He's lost his starting position to Robbo but he's not been fucked off entirely.

Hopefully we have a similar situation with Karius, we get a new first choice in but have Karius on the bench. Win win, we get a decent stopper, and Klopp gets to stay loyal-ish to his player.

You might be happy to put him in our goal to find this out but I, and I suspect the majority, would rather he rebuilt his career elsewhere and someone better be brought in.

Pre-season, against Chester and Tranmere, of course I'm happy to put him in our goal; it's the only way the manager can make any sort of assessment of whether to stick or twist. If Klopp decides to keep him, it will be because he thinks he's good enough. Whatever he decides, it will be the judgement of a man who has seen more of Karius than anyone here, so I'm prepared to trust that decision.

Meh. What can you say. You really do not want the lad to be ridiculed and that Tollit was out of order in my opinion last night for those in game comments. Still I guess you get that in PL games as well between players.

Klopp is not stupid or blind despite what people may think and say. He will know he has a keeper whose confidence is looking shot and getting shot more every time he makes a mistake. He will know he cannot keep him in the spotlight much longer. He took him out of the team last season after a number of mistakes. Maybe he hopes when the team go to the US the spotlight will be less. I am thinking Ward is going to be used more if it continues though.

I don't want Karius to fail or to see him struggle, I just don't want to see him in goal for the simple reason that he not good enough.  He's never looked liked being good enough from the moment he made is debut and no amount of support or perseverance with him is going to change that.

Klopp's not stupid he sees what we see the problem is that it's now a massive climb down from here to drop him and give the shirt back to Mig...which he absolutely needs to do btw if we're genuinely not planning on signing anybody.

It's almost as if the position of Goalkeeper at Liverpool this last 3/4 years has just become completely untenable.  

• Upvote 2

I don't want Karius to fail or to see him struggle, I just don't want to see him in goal for the simple reason that he not good enough.  He's never looked liked being good enough from the moment he made is debut and no amount of support or perseverance with him is going to change that.

Klopp's not stupid he sees what we see the problem is that it's now a massive climb down from here to drop him and give the shirt back to Mig...which he absolutely needs to do btw if we're genuinely not planning on signing anybody.

It's almost as if the position of Goalkeeper at Liverpool this last 3/4 years has just become completely untenable.  

That's where I come down. 

I don't get the notion that people have been willing him to fail, why would anybody want that? I just think he's really shit. If there's one position you can't carry a poor player it's goalkeeping, we had that for most of the 90s with James and Friedal. Your heart was in your mouth every time the ball came near the box, so if you felt like that - how would the outfield players feel?

The CL final says it all about how important the position is, boxing clever and holding your own (at least until your best player gets hacked down) but then it's all undone by some clownery. You just can't afford to go into any match with that fear hanging over your head as a squad, surely. 

I think when goalies lose it to this extent the best thing for all concerned is to rebuild their career elsewhere. He should go to spain or Italy or back to Germany, he's a young lad and if - and it's a big if - he does actually have anything about it, time will tell and he could yet be back at a big club. 

At the moment though, no chance - for a lot of reasons. 

• Upvote 2