You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

National Anthem

Moctezuma

England needs to bin off 'God Save the Queen' for a start it's a right dirge, secondarily it assumes everyone is some royalist twirp.

What would you replace it with?

I heard someone recently say that That's Entertainment by the Jam would be good with lines like:

Waking up at 6 A.M. on a cool warm morning
Opening the windows and breathing in petrol
An amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard
Watching the telly and thinking 'bout your holidays

Waking up from bad dreams and smoking cigarettes
Cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume
A hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac
Feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away

Just replace the That's Entertainment bit with That's Fucking England, or maybe a Town Called Malice would be better.

Re Scotland I reckon we need to move on from gloating about a battle we won 700 hundred years ago and get onto something more positive. Five hundred miles is often belted out in conjunction with Flower of Scotland but I'm not sure I'd want that as a national anthem, though I suppose it would get the blood pumping.

Also if the UK were to break into regional areas should the south get something like Lazy Afternoon by the Kinks and Northern Ireland grab Teenage Kicks?

God Save the Queen is the UK national anthem, that the English use because they're too shit to get a tune of their own.

I'm both English and British (but, primarily, Scouse) and I feel no urge to call on a being that doesn't exist to keep me subjugated by some inbred shower of cunts.

• Upvote 1

GSTQ (the actual anthem) is fucking shite. It sounds miserable and is all about everlasting subservience to the crown instead of the greatness of the country. I mean, fucking hell, Borat did a made-up piss-taking version of the Kazakhstan anthem and he still managed to drop in stuff to try and big the place up, like the superiority of their potassium.

• Upvote 1