You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

From what I saw from Moreno last season it looked like crossing was one of his strengths and he wants to hit early crosses in when he gets forward.Clyne does the same and Milner and Henderson will be getting in to wide areas from cm and putting balls in, Benteke will have plenty of service.

You were definitely not watching us last Year unless you think crossing 10ft over a players head, directly out for a goal kick or out for an opposition throw in on the other side of the pitch is classed as a good cross.  Moreno did one thing good last Year and that was against Tottenham.

Our Tekers who art in Villa,

hallowed by thy name,

thy goals will come,

thy will be done by Palace,

on Carrow Road as it is in Anfield,

give us this season our daily goals,

and forgive us for not rating you,

as we forgive those that slate you against us,

and lead us not into mid table,

but deliver us top 4,

for Clyne is the kingdom,

the power and the glory,

for ever and ever

Amen

• Upvote 1

You were definitely not watching us last Year unless you think crossing 10ft over a players head, directly out for a goal kick or out for an opposition throw in on the other side of the pitch is classed as a good cross.  Moreno did one thing good last Year and that was against Tottenham.

Never know, that may have been a cross gone wrong too.

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

As has already been stated he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet. I think we should all get behind him by giving him a clean slate and letting him do his talking on the pitch.

• Upvote 1

You don't need crosses to get the best out of Benteke. You can play it into feet and he will even run the channels. The ball will stick when it's played forward a lot more often, and he will provide balls for forward running midfielders.

But we need crosses!

• Downvote 1

"However, the caveat in that trite phrase ‘good touch for a big man’ is there for a reason and Benteke has the worst passing accuracy of any regular outfield player at either Villa or Liverpool (39 players in all). Every third pass fails to find its target and that highlights the problem."

A good start is half the battle. Suarez scored for us within minutes of coming on and Torres tore Chelsea apart fifteen minutes in for his first. We should be building our attack around him for the Stoke game.

Some very legitimate concerns about how we'll use him, but he'll clearly give us something completely different a season after we played Sterling up top and - justifiably - left Balotelli, Borini and Lambert on the bench.

No surprise we have given in to Villas demands, it was always going to happen and I don't know why it wasn't done before pre season, atleast we haven't waited until a week before the season starts.

they've done to us what we did to city.

cant blame them.

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

But by how much and that's our second ever highest transfer fee?

A plus note is a plus note, not looking at negatives

Am fairly happy we've signed him if it happens, as I think he'll do well. I don't agree with 32.5 mil, or think we should stop buying players after him (we probably need a couple more), but I think he'll score quite a few goals for us (or even a load, I don't think he'll fail here that's for sure.)

Now can we work out what we're doing with Borini, Wario and Lambert? And maybe sign who Moyes refers to as "Eramendey", and/or a DM, etc.

I am underwhelmed but agree with what Babb said earlier. We would have only have panicked and spunked the money anyway. At least there is half a chance Benteke will be a good signing

Anyway I am going to be fair and give him every chance to prove himself but if after the Stoke game he hasn't stepped up with a winner he can fuck right off

We are a joke of a club. Sack the backroom staff with no thought for who should come in to actually improve us. Then we get some new guys in who have nothing on their resume to suggest they will actually be any better than the last guys. Now we go and spunk a shedload of cash on a player who none of us wanted or were even suggesting at the start of the window. FFS do people really think this season is going to be any different to the last? When will we ever fucking learn? It's just a clusterfuck of enormous proportions. 

We've basically signed Andy Carroll all over again. 

Rodgers will be gone by Christmas. Should have just done it this summer and let the new guy spend the money. 

Benteke? 32.5 million? Jesus. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If this is who we actually wanted, I'm glad we're getting him in. Don't think he'd have been my first choice to spend £30m+, but what the fuck do I know?

If he keeps up his 1 in 2 ratio, he'll have been a roaring success. TBH I'll be happy with him if he has 1 in 3 this season in the league.

Now, what other Belgians can we sign?

Guest davelfc

I was just finished chuckling to myself that city had been screwed over for Sterling and then read we'd not even got home with the money and been screwed over too.

Don't want him here, don't think he's worth the money and think we will come to regret this. That's all before he's kicked a ball of course.

However based on Aspas, Balotelli, Borini and Lambert it's a big improvement. Which in real terms means it's fucking awful. 

If we play him every game he'll get over 15 goals for us. That could be an extra 15 - 20 points. Would make it worth the money.

If he gets injured then what can you do?!

As for him not fitting our style of play, good. Our style of play was shite last season. I never want to see that style of play again