You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Car Buying Advice Required

Paul

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Well youre a brave soul asking the GF which colour combo your “friend” should have in his £50k Porsche. 

Yeah, I knew that'd be coming. Only the true messiah would deny his divinity and all that. 

I really am stuck on which way he should go. The white is indeed hairdressery, but he doesn't give a fuck about that. The black is butch and he doesn't give a fuck about that either. Silver is safe, and therefore a bit meh. 

I'm tempted to suggest white with red roof and red leather. I reckon it'll look class. Noted re the resale value. 

8 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

That’s a rich female hairdresser’s or boutique owner’s car.

For around the same money I’d rather have a Mustang any day.

if he must get a midlife crisis or girl’s car, the M2 would be way better

or he could remember that he’ll hardly ever drive it at its potential, he will probably barely put the top down and he should buy a proper car instead

8 hours ago, cochyn said:

Or get the cayman. 

Nah. It's a truly beautiful car the Cayman, but he's after a convertible. 

2 hours ago, PestiRed said:

if he must get a midlife crisis or girl’s car, the M2 would be way better

or he could remember that he’ll hardly ever drive it at its potential, he will probably barely put the top down and he should buy a proper car instead

As alternative suggestions go, the M2 wouldn't make my starting blocks let alone my mate's. The M2 offers nothing other than a steel convertible roof. Mr rb14 and I like our cars and flirted with an M4 a few years ago. We've never owned a car for such a short time. Absolutely awful. 

I'd struggle to remember a time when we didn't have a convertible. The roof is down loads. 

As for the "hardly ever drive it at its potential" argument, following that line of reasoning, surely almost no car is worthy of buying?

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You only get one shot at life.

Hot summer nights, driving back from the pub with the roof down, looking at the stars and the wife and the kids singing along to the radio, that's worth having in your life.

Nobody ever lies on their deathbed and says I wish I'd bought a more sensible car with a solid roof.  

Paul Walker?

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Hot summer nights, driving back from the pub with the roof down, looking at the stars and the wife and the kids singing along to the radio, that's worth having in your life.

Nobody ever lies on their deathbed and says I wish I'd bought a more sensible car with a solid roof.  

I dont want to meet the person who lies on their death bed lamenting their choice in vehicles.

I dont want want meet dying strangers anyway so its a moot point.

On 14/02/2021 at 11:49, Colonel Kurtz said:

If you are driving home from the pub on hot summer nights with your wife and children do watch the road and not the stars.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Has anyone used the new (ish) online car sales places? Like Cazoo and Cinch? 

I haven't. And I might sound a bit 'old skool' but I can't fathom why anyone would buy a car without going to see it and checking it out first. Even with current restrictions, it's a lot of money to spend so why not just wait until they're lifted? I guess it's aimed at people who just want to buy 'a car' and crack on with their lives. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Has anyone used the new (ish) online car sales places? Like Cazoo and Cinch? 

7 minutes ago, cochyn said:

I haven't. And I might sound a bit 'old skool' but I can't fathom why anyone would buy a car without going to see it and checking it out first. Even with current restrictions, it's a lot of money to spend so why not just wait until they're lifted? I guess it's aimed at people who just want to buy 'a car' and crack on with their lives. 

The idea with cazoo is you select and buy the car but try it out for upto 7 days and if you dont like, return it. But there must be some catch with this and they knock so much off the price to come and collect after you've used it.

I still favour good old fashioned go have a look and have a test drive. There's less people in car showrooms than there are in the supermarkets.

We need to buy something bigger than our Hyundai i20 and I couldn't resent spending such a large sum of money on anything more than a car. Eurgh. 

Anyway, we probably need an estate for dog/camping gear and have a £10k budget. I know a little less than fuck all about cars but the Skoda Octavia looks decent. 

On 14/02/2021 at 05:49, Colonel Kurtz said:

Unless the kids are sitting in the trunk that ain't happening in a Porsche.

Right now it seems like if you don't buy a Tesla you are purchasing outdated technology.

6 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’d get a second hand Mercedes estate. There’s over 150 on auto trader for less than £10k. The engines last for 200,000 miles easily, they don’t rust and you get to waft around in a Mercedes. There’s a reason every German taxi driver has one. 

You know it will breakdown or need parts replacing so I'm guessing those parts arent cheap?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You know it will breakdown or need parts replacing so I'm guessing those parts arent cheap?

Mercs and BMWs are great until you need parts replaced. Best I've found is Ford in terms of part price and availability. KIA are good too. 

8 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Mercs and BMWs are great until you need parts replaced. Best I've found is Ford in terms of part price and availability. KIA are good too. 

This was my point. The reason I have a newish,5/6 years old,Fiesta is that I know the parts are easy to get hold of and at the cheaper end of the scale. Ford cars are also much,much more reliable than they used to be.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, cochyn said:

Skoda's are decent. All the cabbies round our way had them until the council forced them to buy hybrids. The Octavia 4x4 or Yeti might be best for camping at the wilder sites.

Was on the verge of buying the Octavia vRS a few years back. Personally, Id say Skodas are better built than VW and Audi even though they're the same platforms and group.

I wouldnt look past a Kia right now with their 7 year warranty. The XCeed looks very nice and even the humble Ceed estate looks decent. If anyone's not badge conscious, the new Dacia Sandero Stepway Comfort or Prestige are good cars and well worth a look at.

• Upvote 1