You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Car Buying Advice Required

Paul

Mrs Paul's car was written off this week after a crash last weekend and we need a new car. Can you good GF petrol heads please hook us up with some advice re: what to do? Here are the criteria:

1. Something cheap to run - a supermini is the word these days, I believe. One with low or zero road tax.

2. Something we can run into the ground over five to ten years, so new or nearly new, I guess.

3. Five doors

4. We're not at all brand focused so the least cool marques would be fine if they fit the other criteria.

5. Air con, DAB and Bluetooth would be good.

6. We've got a decent deposit to put down and would prefer low monthly payments

Hook a brother up, yo!

Ford dealer's are selling off the 2014 model Focus to clear the showrooms for the newer 2015 version. The 2014 model can be bought dealer reg'd on a 64 plate for around 11 grand. If you negotiate hard you might get one for just under 10 grand. Look for a model with low hundreds or 1500 miles. More than that and negotiate very hard for a sub 10 grand deal.

Do not become a Subaru bellend please Paul.

The missus has a Nissan Note and it's brilliant. Sat nav; blue tooth and loads of other stuff. It's a five door and has loads of space. I don't know what used prices are like though.

• Upvote 2

Skoda Yeti or Roomster if you need the room. Bullet-proof build with 'just enough' engineering and everything you need. As everyone else has said - avoid diesel unless you do big mileage (+15,000) every year.  

Or go mad and get an old Audi A4: bombproof.

• 3 weeks later...

My other half is thinking of buying a second hand car, she likes the Vauxhall Zafira, as she wants a hatchback and likes the interior space, especially at the front of the car.

As I know the sum total of fuck all about cars, can anyone suggest comparative alternatives?

That makes two of you then.

Once she's decided what type of vehicle she wants (a mini MPV by the looks of things), she needs to consider things type of fuel, gearbox, number of seats etc. Avoid anything by Peugeot, Citroen or Renault even if they fit the criteria.

That makes two of you then.

Once she's decided what type of vehicle she wants (a mini MPV by the looks of things), she needs to consider things type of fuel, gearbox, number of seats etc. Avoid anything by Peugeot, Citroen or Renault even if they fit the criteria.

Yeah, she knows how to drive a car and that's about it.

I believe she would be best off with diesel as she will be doing a lot of mileage?

She would like a 5 - 7 seater.

Neither of know anything about gearboxes.

I need plenty of leg room and head height in passenger side at the front of the car.

• Upvote 1

Honda's FR-V has 6 seats and can be got with a diesel engine. It's a 2.2-litre though so I don't know if she'll find that on the high side, as well as the car being a little bit wider than most. To be honest, it sounds like she's already decided on a Zafira so her best initial bet is to go on Auto Trader or Motors.co.uk and search through based on what she wants.

• Upvote 1

My other half is thinking of buying a second hand car, she likes the Vauxhall Zafira, as she wants a hatchback and likes the interior space, especially at the front of the car.

As I know the sum total of fuck all about cars, can anyone suggest comparative alternatives?

I'm in the process of selling mine, it's a petrol and probably a little older than you'd like.  

The car itself was great for the trips around town, going to France in it was an absolute bitch on fuel costs. If your missus is using it for local trips it may be more efficient to go for petrol, I'd gone from an astra diesel to the Zafira and noted no substantial change in fuel costs until it went on the longer journeys. 

I liked it, it worked out great for me with small kids, the back seats are useless for anyone over the age of 12, as most of mine have hit their teens it's now too small a car and I've gone for a Korean tank. I've also had a galaxy in the past and another Sedona, I'd really recommend the zafira as the compromise from the huge people carrier to something more standard car looking. They're really not much bigger than your average estate. The Citroen people carrier (C8??) looked the absolute sex but again, the back seats looked a bit tight. The vivavoo (minibus thing) looked hot too, but also well out of my budget, and yours I think. 

• Upvote 1

I'm in the process of selling mine, it's a petrol and probably a little older than you'd like.

The car itself was great for the trips around town, going to France in it was an absolute bitch on fuel costs. If your missus is using it for local trips it may be more efficient to go for petrol, I'd gone from an astra diesel to the Zafira and noted no substantial change in fuel costs until it went on the longer journeys.

I liked it, it worked out great for me with small kids, the back seats are useless for anyone over the age of 12, as most of mine have hit their teens it's now too small a car and I've gone for a Korean tank. I've also had a galaxy in the past and another Sedona, I'd really recommend the zafira as the compromise from the huge people carrier to something more standard car looking. They're really not much bigger than your average estate. The Citroen people carrier (C8??) looked the absolute sex but again, the back seats looked a bit tight. The vivavoo (minibus thing) looked hot too, but also well out of my budget, and yours I think.

Thanks for the information. She will doing a lot of mileage - London to Yorkshire and Yorkshire to Merseyside - so diesel is probably the way to go.

• 4 months later...

Looking at getting a new family car. 

Currently have a 10 year old Astra 1.6, but we only do approx 6000 miles a year. Just feels/sounds a bit rattly.

I am really edging towards an automatic, been driving a golf Auto for the last few months (work car) and like it a lot.

Looking at A3, Golf, A class etc. 5 door model. I lloked at Mazda and Seat, but think I must have somehow turned into a car snob.

Due to low yearly miles, would expect to keep it at least five years.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Especially information about long term issues with auto gear boxes.  

Definitely going for a petrol, probably 1.4. The A3 is top of my list, I found one I wanted but dealer would not budge on price so walked away. 

He kept pushing PCP, which I get is good for them, but I am more likely to go cash. I hate the thought of giving people any extra of my money, when I don't need to. I even offered to go PCP, if he would reduce price, but no.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Depends on the engine.

If you put your reg number in on eurocarparts.com it will give you the right grade for your car. 

Brand wise I typically use Castrol or Valvoline in anything I will be racing or rallying, for day to day use the Triple QX stuff the likes of Euro Parts sell is more than fine and I run that in my road stuff which is generally big mileage old Audi's. 

Not buying but I have a 12 yo peugeot 307 auto and need to buy oil for it.  What kind of oil do people use?  There seems to be a million options. 

Do you have the car manual? If so, it will say in there what specification of oil you need eg. 5W-30, 10W-40 etc

• Upvote 1