You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what car do you drive?

Guest Pistonbroke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I've never really cared much about the car I drive. I like cheap, easy to maintain and reliable. Don't think I'll ever buy a car new.

In the last 25 years I've had my dad's old 1985 Audi 5000, a 1992 VW Jetta, and a 2004 VW Golf. The Audi was expense to maintain, the Jetta was great, but got old and senile. The Golf was Brazil/Mexico made crap.

Last week we decided to sell the Golf and upgrade to a 2006 Subaru Outback. I like the idea of having something that can climb mountains, rip through snow and carry a decent payload of cats.

It's the first car I've owned that is worth more than my bicycles, and I'm very proud. Feel like an adult now.

6af4447f3b4e4e6d69b5e40c731d74c3.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, redinblack said:

I got a second hand Audi SQ5 last week. I like it a lot, the high driving position, very comfortable and a nice cruiser. I'll have to watch that right foot though, it gets to illegal speeds rather quickly.

I wanted a Merc but i bowed to the Mrs and her logic of getting one with a "big boot space for the dogs" - I also value comfort more now, as a 51 year old man. And it was well cheaper. 

3 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I wanted a Merc but i bowed to the Mrs and her logic of getting one with a "big boot space for the dogs" - I also value comfort more now, as a 51 year old man. And it was well cheaper. 

Ive moved from an A4 which was a lovely car, but low, and getting down into a car was becoming more problematic as my back becomes less flexible, so yes the comfort aspect matters more now. I look at a McLaren or a Lamborghini now and I dont think "wow" I think "I've got no fucking chance of getting in or out of that"

As for Mercs I had an old C180, still one of the nicest cars I ever had in good weather, but all over the shop in the wet or ice, I was like Paddy Hopkirk doing rally cross in it then.

32 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I got a second hand Audi SQ5 last week. I like it a lot, the high driving position, very comfortable and a nice cruiser. I'll have to watch that right foot though, it gets to illegal speeds rather quickly.

I drove an Audi A4 once about 20 years ago and have only driven average road cars before and since.I can vouch for those speeds coming from nowhere.

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We have a Qashqai which is probably considered boring, but does everything well and is good on fuel. For a bit more excitement we have an old (08) MX5 which handles really well , bit of a pain with the canvas roof like.

The MX5. What. A. Car. Yours will be the third gen NC? I preferred the NA and NB but it's still a heart and soul MX5, despite Ford's best endeavours. Not that you should, but you can chuck a set of track tyres on that car and it'll be a revelation on a race circuit.