You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what car do you drive?

Guest Pistonbroke

We have a Toyota Avensis estate from 2010. Bought it 3 years ago and it's the best car I have ever had. Always starts, even when it's -25 and I haven't plugged in the engine heater. Nothing has gone wrong with it at all. It isn't particularly fun to drive, but i don't really care.

Our other car is a 1994 BMW 320i. Just cost a load for a new catalytic converter, but it got it through the MOT, so I don't care. Ace to drive even if it is a bit of a twats car.

1456598_10201371453783029_278006545_n.jp

11064773_10204574313972532_9151002212183

and the Magnum PI shot...

11219695_10205066730122628_4241665535183

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

Whilst my car is being fixed I'm driving around in a 10 moth old VW Golf TSI Lounge (still has that new smell to it). Very nice drive with lots of power and all the extras you could wish for. I'm still getting used to the fact their is no physical hand brake, just a small lever type switch thing which you push down or pull up when your foot is on the break pedal. 

• 2 months later...

Someone left their handbrake off at a pump and their car rolled down a hill into mine. They want to sort it outside insurance, so I'm going to get a price tonight from a local guy who has been recommended to me by my mechanic.

The door doesn't close fully, although its drive-able, there is a draft and no doubt water will leak in. Any tips on things to look out for needing repaired? Or any potential scams/pitfalls to watch out for, going outside of insurance? I've never been involved in an accident before. A girl hit my bumper in traffic before but there was a tiny scratch so I told her to go about her business, it was fine.

They guy was very apologetic, left a note with his name, address and contact details and seemed genuine enough in the phone. Hopefully it'll be straight forward enough.

IMG_20160919_192708429.jpg

Depends on how much you care about the car and how much the door skin requires to straighten it out, it's on the swage line which means it will be a major pain to try and get it straight. 

If it needs a new or second hand door or a you got a door skin put on it then it will need the adjoining panels painted so it blends properly. 

That's if you want it looking mint. 

There are always exceptions but as a general rule these days most body shops should be able to do a decent job with anything the way the industry is now but there are varying degrees of quality like anything else. 

Or someone who is a bit cheaper may get away with pulling it out as best they can, a liberal coating of filler to smooth it out and just paint it and make sure it's hanging right, it will probably go unnoticed by most people but will be noticeable if anyone was looking at it should you come to sell the car or if someone like me looks at it because it's the kind of thing I notice through being involved with body shops. 

Someone left their handbrake off at a pump and their car rolled down a hill into mine. They want to sort it outside insurance, so I'm going to get a price tonight from a local guy who has been recommended to me by my mechanic.

The door doesn't close fully, although its drive-able, there is a draft and no doubt water will leak in. Any tips on things to look out for needing repaired? Or any potential scams/pitfalls to watch out for, going outside of insurance? I've never been involved in an accident before. A girl hit my bumper in traffic before but there was a tiny scratch so I told her to go about her business, it was fine.

They guy was very apologetic, left a note with his name, address and contact details and seemed genuine enough in the phone. Hopefully it'll be straight forward enough.

Stinker that mate, but sounds like the fella will sort it. It'll be on cctv too with happening in the petty station so you're laughing.

Can't give any advice other than to kick at least one of the tyres. That way you should be able to decide the extent of any damage.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to screw this guy over but I don't want a botched job either. I'll try and find a middle ground. I'm trying to remember this could just as easily have happened to me (as in me be in his shoes).

On the other hand I want to take it to the KIA dealership I bought it from, get it fixed right, and put it through his insurance. I mean, that's what insurance is for right? It's not like i'm claiming whiplash or anything. I just want my car fixed.

I'm so indecisive.

Why does he want it doing outside of insurance? Is it really his name and address? Have you established these things first?

Only really driven 3 cars for any length of time, my limited experience can be detailed in a short space of time:

Megane Mk II - 1.5l diesel - Bulletproof engine, 70mpg+, shite electrics, don't bother. No point in spending £1500 on an older car and then a few hundred all the time taking it in and out of the garage to get the windows to go back up. Alternatively, get manual windey up windows.

Focus Mk II - 1.6l petrol - Great car to drive, <=40mpg (too thirsty for a bland car for my liking). Maybe a diesel one? You could pick something up for around your budget (just an example):

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607296309232?search-target=usedcars&make=ford&model=focus&fuel-type=diesel&ni-only=on&sort=default&page=1&radius=100&postcode=bt309gp&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=1

Kia Pro C'eed - 1.6 Diesel - Great car so far but out of the price range.

• Upvote 1

13418707_10153644728131430_1374567749694

Had this Tesla S P90D for a couple of weekends on test drive from them. Think I'm gonna get one next year. 

INcredible car. Genuine game changer. 

0-60 in 2.7 seconds and basically drives itself. never known a car so addictive to hit the go pedal, it's like being on a fucking space ship, but it's a bog, family car. 

Fucking expensive, mind, but minus fuel and tax savings and all that it'll only be a couple hundred quid a month more than, say, another new 530i. 

WANT

An 06 Renault Meganne.

It's been sound on the whole. Engine runs forever and very good with the fuel.

All the problems I've had have wither been electrics or misfiring cylinder replacements, which I've accepted is a part of yearly maintenance now.

I won't be parting with her till she dies. The car market looks shit. I only part with cash out of necessity not desire. If I come into any dough ill be fucking off on a nice holiday.

I don't want to screw this guy over but I don't want a botched job either. I'll try and find a middle ground. I'm trying to remember this could just as easily have happened to me (as in me be in his shoes).

On the other hand I want to take it to the KIA dealership I bought it from, get it fixed right, and put it through his insurance. I mean, that's what insurance is for right? It's not like i'm claiming whiplash or anything. I just want my car fixed.

I'm so indecisive.

m8 your based in Norn Iron where insurance is a rip off so im guessing the guy wants to sort it with out being ripped off.even more

get a quote to fix it proper from a quality garage but don't mention somebody crashed into you as they will want you to go through insurance as price of repair will double for there pockets. and when you get the price send it through to the other party and see if he's willing to pay upfront

I pulled out of a blind corner once in the work van doing 5mph and a car was coming the other way which damaged the other partys wing and when i say damaged i mean a hair line scratch about the length of baby finger.. yep they took it through insurance £1600 the total bill was.  my Premium has gone up by £400 a year cause some cunt wanted some free money

The guy I saw gave me a rough estimate of £850. He's pricing the parts today to get a more accurate price. Needs a new door, wing and the door pillar is damaged (which I can see with my own eyes).

Seems about as 'reasonable' as I'm going to get. Getting a second quote and telling him them both and he can pick where to go.

He started asking could he buy the door as he'd found one cheap here and could he buy this and that etc. I just said no, I've been recommend two people who both do good work and are reasonable to pay. I'll get quotes and see what it comes out at. Not messing around trying to cobble a repair together in bits and pieces.

The guy I saw gave me a rough estimate of £850. He's pricing the parts today to get a more accurate price. Needs a new door, wing and the door pillar is damaged (which I can see with my own eyes).

Seems about as 'reasonable' as I'm going to get. Getting a second quote and telling him them both and he can pick where to go.

He started asking could he buy the door as he'd found one cheap here and could he buy this and that etc. I just said no, I've been recommend two people who both do good work and are reasonable to pay. I'll get quotes and see what it comes out at. Not messing around trying to cobble a repair together in bits and pieces.

You're right to stick to your guns be mate.

Remember you're doing him the favour, if he wants to keep fuckng about just go through the insurance.

As an aside, just to protect yourself make sure you've reported the accident to the old bill.

• Upvote 1

He said he has only been insured under his own name for a year and his insurance is already high. Again I'm 50% sympathetic, 50% "not my problem".

Go through insurance.  At some point he'll complain about the price.  Piss you around for a while and not pay.  Then you'll have to tell your insurers why you haven't reported it.

You're meant to report all accidents regardless of fault and regardless of claim.

When you apply for insurance in future, you'll have to own up to this accident.  If not, your insurer could find out about the repair and not pay due to it being void.

You're the one taking all the risks for very little gain.

Just want to agree with the insurance route being advised here. The fella sounds like he wants to haggle and duck and dive a bit on the price, and the likely outcome is that you will do a lot of legwork and he will still feel like he's getting ripped off. That's if he pays up. The matter should not be resolved between the two of you, as he has his interests and you have yours. It needs an independent third party, and that's what insurance companies are for.

What car do you drive?

I'm still chugging along in my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. I'm thinking of getting a new Subaru Outback, but I'm fairly resistant to buying stuff just because. I have been saving for a car and depending on what I get I am almost in the position to buy a new one for cash. I'm leaning towards an Outback 2.5 Limited and thinking of keeping it for a long time, as Subaru's do well in these parts.

I could go and get one today, but I don't like to make payments on things if I don't have to, so I'll save a bit longer. The only debt we have is a mortgage, and we're overpaying on that to get it paid off ASAP. My Pathfinder works just fine, so I'll keep driving it and saving. But I think the next car is a Subaru Outback.

• Upvote 1

Interesting stuff I didn't know about Renault electrics on this page. I bought a Scenic off a mechanic from round here who deals mainly in Renaults and I've had a few instances in the last couple of months where the Windows are falling down on their own. It's happened to every window now. He fixes it for nothing because he sold us the car so I can't complain about him too much but it is a pain in the arse. He's on holiday right now and it's happened to my front passenger side window. I've got a screwdriver wedged in there to hold it up. I'm driving around looking like a car thief that can only boost shit seven seaters.

• Upvote 1