You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

Lovren+Mario= £36m. Even if all our other buys were great deals, and they weren't, you can't waste that sort of money in our position and claim not to have had a bad summer.

We could have signed Vietto and Lacazette and still had money for a CB and a decent back up GK.

You won't find me trying to suggest that we have a good transfer record but you could say the same thing for every club mate.

Just look at Chelsea last few years. Salah, Marin, Moses, Wallace, Ba, Atsu, Van Ginkel, Remy... That all cost £60M.

£60M down the drain basically.

• Upvote 2

You won't find me trying to suggest that we have a good transfer record but you could say the same thing for every club mate.

Just look at Chelsea last few years. Salah, Marin, Moses, Wallace, Ba, Atsu, Van Ginkel, Remy, Wallace... That all cost £60M.

Exactly.

Just look at Chelsea last few years. Salah, Marin, Moses, Wallace, Ba, Atsu, Van Ginkel, Remy...

That all cost £60M.

Especially as they bought Wallace twice.

We could have just spent the £20m we used for Balotelli and Lambert and bought someone that would score some goals.

Someone who would cause the same sort of problems that Sturridge and Suarez can cause.  Not necessarily 20 goals a season, but someone with movement,commitment and vision that can occupy defenders and create space for others.  And not Borini.  

• Upvote 2

Someone who would cause the same sort of problems that Sturridge and Suarez can cause.  Not necessarily 20 goals a season, but someone with movement,commitment and vision that can occupy defenders and create space for others.  And not Borini.  

THERE WAS NO-ONE.

Yeah, probably 40 or 50 players that would have fitted the bill, that could have been purchased for less than £20m, on wages that we'd be willing to pay for such a player (£60k-£90k?). Players with enough about them physically and technically, whilst also not being a complete shithouse. Players that would probably score 1 in 2 in a side like ours, a side with plenty of creativity. Players that would be willing to live somewhere other than London.

A handful of them ended up at Premier League clubs with less pull than us.

• Upvote 3

Not signing someone of the same calibre to replace him when he did get injured is the hindrance. When you have a finite budget then the signings of raw potential do become a mistake.

Although there is obviously an opportunity cost I'd say that when you have a short-term approach to building your team it can be seen as a mistake, not when you have a long-term approach.

These five, probably a few more, Valencia, Vargas, Hernandez, Perez, Mane.

Doesn't mean they're great players, or great signings. Just better than Lambert and Balotelli. Better cover for Sturridge. More suited to how we play.

But that would have taken some scouting.

And hindsight. 

That's always pretty handy as a scout.

People would have lost their shit if we'd have signed any of them bar possibly Valencia and only Mane of the rest are doing anything of note.

If any of them do the 10 goals and 10 assists that Lambert did before we signed him then they'll be surprising me a fair bit.

These five, probably a few more, Valencia, Vargas, Hernandez, Perez, Mane.

Doesn't mean they're great players, or great signings. Just better than Lambert and Balotelli. Better cover for Sturridge. More suited to how we play.

But that would have taken some scouting.

OK, fair enough.

I don't know them well enough to argue the case but I was more interested in the type of player you were referring to anyway. And they appear all to be strikers.