You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

And hindsight. 

That's always pretty handy as a scout.

People would have lost their shit if we'd have signed any of them bar possibly Valencia and only Mane of the rest are doing anything of note.

If any of them do the 10 goals and 10 assists that Lambert did before we signed him then they'll be surprising me a fair bit.

I named the first three in August. 

I don't give a fuck about some people "losing their shit".

I also don't give a fuck about context free statistics. Anyone that has ever watched Abel Hernandez and Rickie Lambert play football and decides the latter is a better fit for how we play needs to be sectioned.

• Upvote 2

OK, fair enough.

I don't know them well enough to argue the case but I was more interested in the type of player you were referring to anyway. And they appear all to be strikers.

Yeah, it's essentially a South American or South American style striker (and I'm referring more to Uruguay/Argentina/Chile rather than a sort of Brazilian shithouse like Robinho).

Tough, technically good, and willing to work very hard. Used to playing at a high pace, and with the ball on the deck.

Have a look through the Premier League and who are the best attacking players. Suarez last year, Tevez before, Aguero now, Costa, Di Maria, Sanchez. So we can't get that level? Ok. Look at the next level down. Don't buy a striker that can't fucking move, or one that eats crayons.

• Upvote 7

I named the first three in August. 

I don't give a fuck about some people "losing their shit".

I also don't give a fuck about context free statistics. Anyone that has ever watched Abel Hernandez and Rickie Lambert play football and decides the latter is a better fit for how we play needs to be sectioned.

Nonsense. Anyone that watched Southampton and saw Lambert in a pressing side would see the sense in the move. Especially when you add in all the extra considerations of price, loyalty to the club and the output he produced. 

He has pedigree of high output for a pressing side in the premier league. End of. 

Does it matter how many goals they've got this season? If they all had 100 each you'd say "Yeah, but it's because they're at a club with no expectations, etc".

They'd be a better fit, for us.

Yeah, it does. If you're moaning about how we needed goalscorers and should have gone for them then it does matter if they are scoring goals or not. Especially when none of them are matching the record of the lad we signed.  

They don't have 100 each. They have a handful between them. So hypotheticals about how I would change the point I've been pretty consistent in making are irrelevant.

Having a different opinion about players is fine. Trying to make out not doing what you've advocated is fucking stupid just looks ridiculous.

How realistic are our ambitions in terms of signings?

I mean, why couldn't we sign Bale for £90m?

Because it's too much money, obviously.

So, is that not a lesson that we should think about £30m signings, of a certain age, as a really good investment?

Firmino, Muller, Gotze, Castan, Benatia, Kurzawa, Ricardo Rodriguez, Ramsey, Pjanic, Koke, Reus, Kramer, Strootman, Dybala, Cuadrado, Draxler, Kruse, just some of the names in Europe who we could possibly get but we'd have to pay top dollar. However, with that comes the possibility of cashing in for MASSIVE money 18 months later when a Torres/Bale/Suarez/Ronaldo/ esque bid comes in from the usual fuckfaces.

Nonsense. Anyone that watched Southampton and saw Lambert in a pressing side would see the sense in the move. Especially when you add in all the extra considerations of price, loyalty to the club and the output he produced. 

He has pedigree of high output for a pressing side in the premier league. End of. 

Yeah, it does. If you're moaning about how we needed goalscorers and should have gone for them then it does matter if they are scoring goals or not. Especially when none of them are matching the record of the lad we signed.  

They don't have 100 each. They have a handful between them. So hypotheticals about how I would change the point I've been pretty consistent in making are irrelevant.

He may have been part of a high pressing side, but he wasn't doing much of it. And if he was, which he wasn't, what happened over the summer? Did he take up Ketamine?

No, hypotheticals are not irrelevant. It's the bog standard tedious argument on here. It's why answering a "Well, who would you have bought then?" type question is something I'm already regretting doing. Because whoever you name won't be accepted. 

• Upvote 3

He may have been part of a high pressing side, but he wasn't doing much of it. And if he was, which he wasn't, what happened over the summer? Did he take up Ketamine?

No, hypotheticals are not irrelevant. It's the bog standard tedious argument on here. It's why answering a "Well, who would you have bought then?" type question is something I'm already regretting doing. Because whoever you name won't be accepted. 

Do you want me to post the many, many comments from you about Lambert from before the season kicked off? Right, fucking behave then. You were of the opinion that he was a good player, a good signing and a good squad player. Stop acting the twat in hindsight and making out you weren't. It's out of order.

If we have signed Balotelli and not loaned him then there's a decent discussion to be had about the logic of doing it and the better players knocking about. I would be amazed if there weren't better deals to be had for that money and agree we should have been into one of them. I'm not though, going to make out that buying the right players is a piece of piss and getting one wrong means the club know fuck all (as does anyone who disagrees with me).

• Upvote 1

How realistic are our ambitions in terms of signings?

I mean, why couldn't we sign Bale for £90m?

Because it's too much money, obviously.

So, is that not a lesson that we should think about £30m signings, of a certain age, as a really good investment?

Firmino, Muller, Gotze, Castan, Benatia, Kurzawa, Ricardo Rodriguez, Ramsey, Pjanic, Koke, Reus, Kramer, Strootman, Dybala, Cuadrado, Draxler, Kruse, just some of the names in Europe who we could possibly get but we'd have to pay top dollar. However, with that comes the possibility of cashing in for MASSIVE money 18 months later when a Torres/Bale/Suarez/Ronaldo/ esque bid comes in from the usual fuckfaces.

I get your point, and in part agree, but any post will be undermined by suggesting the likes of Mueller, Goetze and Ramsey would ever come to us.

Do you want me to post the many, many comments from you about Lambert from before the season kicked off? Right, fucking behave then. You were of the opinion that he was a good player, a good signing and a good squad player. Stop acting the twat in hindsight and making out you weren't. It's out of order.

If we have signed Balotelli and not loaned him then there's a decent discussion to be had about the logic of doing it and the better players knocking about. I would be amazed if there weren't better deals to be had for that money and agree we should have been into one of them. I'm not though, going to make out that buying the right players is a piece of piss and getting one wrong means the club know fuck all (as does anyone who disagrees with me).

I was happy with him as a fourth choice striker. Not second. 

And fuck off, Stu.

• Upvote 5

I was happy with him as a fourth choice striker. Not second. 

And fuck off, Stu.

Why fuck off?

Because you're banging on about how shit he is when you were saying what a good player he is and what a good signing he was before the season started?

I checked because if you were taking this stance before a ball was kicked I'd have disagreed with you but at least you would have been consistent. You weren't though, and it's poor form.

• Upvote 2

Missing out on the Champions League this season will have an enormous negative impact on the long term.

No it won't, if we get top four we still won't be able to get the top bracket players as the only way we are going to get it is slipping in and teams will be close points wise behind us.

Seeing as the top players didn't want to come after we nearly won the league playing some of the best football in Europe this season will not change their opinion.

It would obviously be a lot better for us to be in it but if we are not its not going to have a big effect on the direction the club is going, we'll have a few less millions to spend but that's it.

I've been screaming for Cuadrado for so long. But you can't expect this kind of signings from FSG and their local male slut, he's 26 and will ask for prime wages. Cuadrado is twice as good as Willian.

you screamed for Balotelli and got him. So sshhhhh.

We could have just spent the £20m we used for Balotelli and Lambert and bought someone that would score some goals.

It's this sort of outdated thinking that will see you eventually banned from this forum. Although I'd swap Lovren out for Lambert.

These five, probably a few more, Valencia, Vargas, Hernandez, Perez, Mane.

Doesn't mean they're great players, or great signings. Just better than Lambert and Balotelli. Better cover for Sturridge. More suited to how we play.

But that would have taken some scouting.

Not one of them is good enough mate, just because they are better then some shite we've got doesn't make them good enough.

Vela who you were going on a bit about in the summer is the kind of quality we need and he would have been a good signing.

• Downvote 1

Agreed. I don't expect us to compete with Chelsea or City. We don't need a perfect success rate to get in the top four though.

I'd add Utd to the bracket of City and Chelsea and I think Arsenal will only spend more as time goes by and their stadium debt is reduced/removed.

We should definitely be competing for top 4 regularly though in the current setup.