You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

We should definitely be competing for top 4 regularly though in the current setup.

And we are. Despite being under par and having no striker for months, we are.

I think people are unrealistic in what they expect from us in the transfer market, but I also think we can improve.

Balotelli was such a poor buy. As was Lovren. Both in retrospect and at the time. But, then, maybe time will prove us (me, you, whoever) wrong there. On both counts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think everyone here in despair that we're not signing him is ignoring the fact that Cuadrado isn't actually that great. 

Nor is Lacazette, to be honest - he's in the middle of a purple patch, to be sure, but take a look at the stats and you'll see it's unsustainable.  Even Messi and Ronaldo don't finish at the rate he's currently putting up, and though you see strikers go through a patch 2-3 months like that every once in a while (Ba a couple of years back, for example) it's basically unsustainable and almost certain that he'll return to the mean pretty soon.

What we need to be looking for is a striker who's in the middle of the opposite - a quality player but who's in the middle of a bad run and whom we could get in January for a knockdown price in hopes he could carry us to May when Sturridge is out.  In short - we need to take another punt a la Balotelli.  It didn't work out there, but our budget precludes us buying a sure thing and I'd much rather have a player who has the potential to be great but might be terrible than a "guaranteed to be a 5-6/10 player" at the moment, because even Lambert or Borini can do that.

Wonder if Mario Gomez might be available from Fiorentina?  He's been injured/out of form pretty much his whole time there, and at age 29 he wouldn't cost much (a loan would be ideal, but I doubt they'd allow it).  Might be a bust, might have some quality left in his boots, who knows?  But we're not in a position to buy anyone who's NOT a gamble, and he could be a gamble worth taking.

• Upvote 2

I think everyone here in despair that we're not signing him is ignoring the fact that Cuadrado isn't actually that great. 

Nor is Lacazette, to be honest - he's in the middle of a purple patch, to be sure, but take a look at the stats and you'll see it's unsustainable.  Even Messi and Ronaldo don't finish at the rate he's currently putting up, and though you see strikers go through a patch 2-3 months like that every once in a while (Ba a couple of years back, for example) it's basically unsustainable and almost certain that he'll return to the mean pretty soon.

What we need to be looking for is a striker who's in the middle of the opposite - a quality player but who's in the middle of a bad run and whom we could get in January for a knockdown price in hopes he could carry us to May when Sturridge is out.  In short - we need to take another punt a la Balotelli.  It didn't work out there, but our budget precludes us buying a sure thing and I'd much rather have a player who has the potential to be great but might be terrible than a "guaranteed to be a 5-6/10 player" at the moment, because even Lambert or Borini can do that.

Wonder if Mario Gomez might be available from Fiorentina?  He's been injured/out of form pretty much his whole time there, and at age 29 he wouldn't cost much (a loan would be ideal, but I doubt they'd allow it).  Might be a bust, might have some quality left in his boots, who knows?  But we're not in a position to buy anyone who's NOT a gamble, and he could be a gamble worth taking.

Good post, I watched some every tough Lacazette vids last season when we were strongly linked, he did not look good enough on the ball or technically to play in our team.

I have not watched him this season but I wouldnt want us to go down the road of signing average/good players just to improve on some poor players we have.If we cant get a proven player our strategy right now is good, we go for potential world class players whether that be ones who are having issues at other clubs or youngsters showing big potential.

I dont think Gomez would be a good signing as he would suffer similar problems as Balotelli in a lone forward role and Id rather see Balotelli in a front 2 with sturridge, Eto should have been the kind of signing you are suggesting, he would have done well with the players we have around him and would be a good influence.

I am quite unshakable in my belief that we absolutely could have and should have signed way better than Lambo and Ballotelli, and that Lacazette is just the kind of player we should have been in for.

Young, fast, good skill, wouldn't have cost a lot = DO IT. But when you move slowly in the market, and don't make replacing your outgoing star striker OR providing some quality back up for your talented but ultra injury prone second striker your absolute priority, then you can't really complain when the goals dry up like camels piss in the Saharan Mid day sun. 

We could have had Cuadrado for about 17 mil if we'd been in for him at the World Cup. He wasn't outstanding but he was decent enough to have signed him. The point is, whenever people say there's no one out there, I say prove it. Because every time someone says, "so who should we sign?", I see the challenged poster come up with about 10 names, and then they get told in a variety of different ways why those players would 1) never have signed for us 2) would never have come to us anyway 3) want too much money 4) not suit our style of play 5) (and one of my favs) they are just playing excellently now, they'll soon be shit again, so would never have been worth it anyway ....

No disrespect to any who hold differing views (after all it is a forum) but there is no chance that Lambert and Balotelli are the best we could have got. If that is the case, then we failed in mission improve from 2nd place and get the strikers needed to do it.  

If we go for it now, we could sign someone to get some goals, but I doubt that's going to happen. We'll just wait on Sturridge. 

• Upvote 4

FSG should see that there has been an error of judgement in terms of personnel signed, for a crucial role. Move now and fix it, or sit and wait and do jack shit. If they had a pitcher who couldn't throw, what would they do? We have strikers who don't score enough and one who does but often unavailable. Fix it. You are the owners, we are in need. It's simple. 

• Upvote 3

FSG should see that there has been an error of judgement in terms of personnel signed, for a crucial role. Move now and fix it, or sit and wait and do jack shit. If they had a pitcher who couldn't throw, what would they do? We have strikers who don't score enough and one who does but often unavailable. Fix it. You are the owners, we are in need. It's simple.

The entire time they've been here I can't recall a single instant when we have acted decisively in the transfer market or any other area. No chance will we sign someone to shore up the goal threat

The entire time they've been here I can't recall a single instant when we have acted decisively in the transfer market or any other area. No chance will we sign someone to shore up the goal threat

They sacked Commoli and Dalglish and were pretty decisive on players like Carroll.

You may not remember a time but stuff has happened.

I want us to sign someone really exciting who can come in and get some goals, build on the momentum we have slowly achieved up to now (which can also disappear in the space of a few defeats), and not only that, but be the same for us next season too. Our needs don't stop. Any excellent players we sign now will still be here for us next season too. It's never a waste of cash unless you waste it. Sounds obvious but it's not been adhered to in our dealings. 

• Upvote 2

Arguably we have weathered the worst of the storm with our lack of striking options. We have found a 3-4-3 system and Sterling has stepped up and helped out in the role, though obviously he has been learning as he goes. His finishing isn't there yet, but he is getting better, as the lovely finish against Chelsea showed. But even without yet being a top finisher, he is better than anybody else we have up front, bar Sturridge, because of his pace and movement. We have been creating chances and we've looked a lot better up front of late. With Sturridge about to come back and Origi coming next season I really can't see us buying another striker right now.

Hopefully we'll look at it again in the summer as we see Balotelli and Borini make room for better?

• Upvote 1

What you mean like signing Sturridge when we needed to? Or blowing money on Carroll when Torres went. Don't talk shite.

FSG don't love us like they do the Red Sox. 

We need 2 new strikers really. I think getting one now is still only doing half the job. We just can't rely on Sturridge to do 50 games a season. Deal with it. Digest that thought. So no Sturridge, now, who do we have? Sterling, Ibe, Orig, Lambert, Balotelli.

That's it. It couldn't be more obvious that we are desperately short of firepower. Fix it now and fight for 4th, get into the EL final. Increase your chances of winning NOW, instead of the "sort it in the summer" attitude. We need it ASAP. Right NOW FSG, not in the fucking summer. 

• Upvote 1