You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a dad for the first time

redheart

The other half has the 20 all scan tomorrow week. I can't fucking wait to find out the sex of the child.

As weird as it sounds, it's still nearly doesn't feel real, but once the sex is known. Well, it's like a proper person then.

Does that sound right, or am I odd?

No I agree. Once we found out we were having a girl it made it much more real - we had a name picked out already so it went from him/her/it to Alice straight away.

Also, you can't see much more than in the 12 week scan. By the time the 20 week one comes around you can clearly see limbs, a head, a nose etc etc. we could see her wriggling about like 'get this fucking thing off me' & looking to be sucking her thumb.

I'll never forget how hard Andrea squeezed my hand when the nurse said it was a girl, she was so happy. Although blokes obviously lean towards wanting a boy, I just wanted him/her to be healthy. I was happier Andrea was happy than anything, if that makes sense. Very emotional moment. I'm definitely going to cry when she comes out, I start well up thinking about it already!

Wait until you get the 3D and 4D scan at 28 weeks plus. You can then see the face of baby and facial expressions.

It was at this point we found out ours was a boy. At every scan until then he was being shy.

Many people would tear up at such an event.

Me I am too much of a manly bastard....grrrrrrr

Wait until you get the 3D and 4D scan at 28 weeks plus. You can then see the face of baby and facial expressions.

It was at this point we found out ours was a boy. At every scan until then he was being shy.

Many people would tear up at such an event.

Me I am too much of a manly bastard....grrrrrrr

I never cried when my two were born, just the overwhelming knowledge that they weren't ginger was good enough for me.
  • Upvote 4

Skids Jr has decided he would like to wake up and cry instead of putting himself back to sleep. He started this on Saturday. And he took an age to get to sleep last night. 3 1/2 hours. 

He wakes up, cries, I go get him, take him downstairs (he won't settle in his room) let him lie on me while I wait an hour until he goes back asleep. He falls asleep, I take him back upstairs. As soon as I begin to lower him back in to his cot 'BING!' wide awake and cries.

So I take him back downstairs for a chill. 

From 1:30 till 4:07 last night. He wakes up in a cracking mood, until his Mum brings him in to see me at 06:15 sand then he cries for her. 

I feel like someone is standing behind my eye lids and firing a flame thrower around the inside of eye socket and against the back of my eyelids I am that tired. 

The flip side of it all is the chilled out hugs I get to have with him during those times. he just lies there until he is proper zonked out. That makes up for it.

Apparently this is common with babies who are reaching milestones, especially at 11-12 months old. He has just started to do bits of walking along the couch etc, and is obviously learning new things all the time. Also as he lost about 6 hours sleep this weekend, he will need to make it up so bed at 5 for him tonight.

Could murder a kip though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I look at most people in my life and wonder why they aren't as hilarious and fascinating as my daughter. Truth is I thought it's be the worst thing that ever happened to me (I was 20 and I'd only slept with her mum once, we didn't even know each others surnames). Turns out the complete fucking opposite was true.

0e7a05a23af41ebaa8377a52297130fa.jpg

Here's our Paddy Boom Booms doing what he does best between feeds, stuff his gob.

One stone baby already after 10 and a half weeks, the little chunk. I dread the crawling around, I'm gonna have to do a shitoad of jobs baby proofing doors, sockets, wires.... The list is endless

• Upvote 3

On the babyproofing, RJ, I'd wait and see what they show an interest in before investing in stuff you dont need. Neither of mine ever showed any interest in putting their fingers in plug sockets or the like. My son went through a phase of getting tins and pans out of the lower kitchen cupboards but that was no big deal. It was only when I did a stint as a chilminder for a while did we have to get all that stuff done.

As you will now know there's a whole industry out there trying to frighten/pressurise you into buying stuff for needs you never knew existed

• Upvote 1

Had to pick my lad up from nursery yesterday as he had a temperature so it's a day of working from home for me. He's 4 so it's not too bad although he'll be pestering me to play with him when i'm on conference calls no doubt!

He starts School in September. Madness.

My lad is one in 20 days. Started to finally look at doing a bit of walking.as well. 

He does do the best army crawl ever.

Loves his food.

Loves brunettes. It's quality taking him the shops or to a restaurant where there are ladies. He just goes mental when he sees an attractive girl/woman.

• Upvote 1