You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

IF Suarez leaves, who do we spend the money on?

Is there a proper release clause in his contract this time around?

He was the best player in the world last season, just entering his prime, so world record bid and then some, or fuck right off. Well i'd tell them to fuck right off regardless, but if Suarez kicked up that much of a fuss over not getting to move to Arsenal last summer,imagine the antics this time around... I could live with them antics tho, and have his head sorted in September if it meant him staying.

It would strike me as being a bit bizarre if they didn't negotiate a release clause. It had better be massive though.

Yeah, them thinking they had a valid release clause last summer, when they didnt, was bizarre too, so who knows... But i do think we are in a better position to hold on to him this summer than we were last, unless of course there is a release clause set in stone this time around. I'd imagine it's fucking gigantic tho.

It would strike me as being a bit bizarre if they didn't negotiate a release clause. It had better be massive though.

I thought a while back 65 mill was being bandied around as the magic number.

Anyway from what his Lawyer has said and purely from a common sense perspective there must be a clear release clause following the pantomime last summer .

Is there a proper release clause in his contract this time around?

He was the best player in the world last season, just entering his prime, so world record bid and then some, or fuck right off. Well i'd tell them to fuck right off regardless, but if Suarez kicked up that much of a fuss over not getting to move to Arsenal last summer,imagine the antics this time around... I could live with them antics tho, and have his head sorted in September if it meant him staying.

Also, last summer he was in the middle of a ban and at team that had missed out on European football by finishing a mediocre 7th and was a national pariah.  Now he's enjoying his football, scoring for fun (literally) playing for the country's most exciting team heading into the Champions League with a squad that is being reinforced in exciting ways and he's the darling of the (fickle as fuck) football media.  He's enjoying his football and feeling the love from the club and the fans and next season looks brighter.

Basically, last summer the "reasons to stay" column was a lot shorter than it is this year.

I'm not saying "He loves us so he'll stay forever" - but I'm not buying this assumption that he's keen to fuck off elsewhere at the drop of a hat.

• Upvote 1

Also, last summer he was in the middle of a ban and at team that had missed out on European football by finishing a mediocre 7th and was a national pariah. Now he's enjoying his football, scoring for fun (literally) playing for the country's most exciting team heading into the Champions League with a squad that is being reinforced in exciting ways and he's the darling of the (fickle as fuck) football media. He's enjoying his football and feeling the love from the club and the fans and next season looks brighter.

That's some impressive straw clutching.

• Upvote 2

That's some impressive straw clutching.

That's not straw-clutching at all.  I just don't see any reason to run around panicking.  The 2013/14 season actually happened.  This summer is not last summer.  Things change over time.

Show me a reason to believe that he wants to leave and the club either wants to sell him or is powerless to stop him and I might join the Chicken Licken Chorus.

Until then... 

So, you reckon wherever he is he is going to agitate for a move every summer, come what may?  I'm not convinced, but neither of us know the bloke, so we're both just speculating.  I'm just not wetting my knickers yet.

And if he agitates - let him.  He did some serious agitating last year.  It's still down to the club whether they want to sell.

Also, last summer he was in the middle of a ban and at team that had missed out on European football by finishing a mediocre 7th and was a national pariah.  Now he's enjoying his football, scoring for fun (literally) playing for the country's most exciting team heading into the Champions League with a squad that is being reinforced in exciting ways and he's the darling of the (fickle as fuck) football media.  He's enjoying his football and feeling the love from the club and the fans and next season looks brighter.

Basically, last summer the "reasons to stay" column was a lot shorter than it is this year.

I'm not saying "He loves us so he'll stay forever" - but I'm not buying this assumption that he's keen to fuck off elsewhere at the drop of a hat.

That's the key bit. No one could afford him if he just wanted out to anywhere, as appeared last summer, but it's never been a secret he'd like to get to one of the big 2 in Spain - even Gerrard told him he'd get his move there eventually.

I completely agree he's not keen to fuck off somewhere else, and he's obviously happy with his life, but that's separate from turning down Madrid - the biggest name in club football (regardless of what the manc press say), and current CL champions.

So, you reckon wherever he is he is going to agitate for a move every summer, come what may? I'm not convinced, but neither of us know the bloke, so we're both just speculating. I'm just not wetting my knickers yet.

And if he agitates - let him. He did some serious agitating last year. It's still down to the club whether they want to sell.

I think he'll get his move this summer although this injury is bad timing for him.

• 4 weeks later...