You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agger: Rodgers doesn't think I'm good enough

tlw content

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Imagine a world where Sakho makes more interceptions, makes more tackles, wins a higher amount of those tackles, makes less mistakes, but is still blamed for losing us the league. I mean, it's not like when Agger was dropped we won games, including against the best attacking team in the league, Man City. Boring,.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Agger's the best defender we have with the ball at his feet as he can pass well and carry the ball past people. 

If Agger had Sakho's power or Sakho had Agger's touch then there would be no debate about who would start more games.

We need 4 more players than we already have, with aspas a certainty and 1or 2 (kelly, johnson, lucas) others quite likely to go the turnover of players would be too high. He's a decent 3rd choice, more than capable 10 or 12 times a season once his opponent doesn't have more upper body strenght than a 15 year old boy. His days as a first choice are over, shoala Ameobi strutting around spraying passes like dennis Bergkamp put an end to that once and for all.

I reckon we'd be the current league champions if he hadn't been dropped at such a critical stage of the season.  

Have thought this a few times as well, but it's gone and there's nothing that can be done about it. I think Rodgers is clearly an amazing manager to have done what he has done, but defence is the final area that still makes me unsure of whether or not we can win things. We'll just have to wait until next season is underway before finding out, am not getting into pointless arguments about it.

Am obviously not happy that one of my favourite players seems fed up and wanting to leave, but again, there's fuck all I can do about it, will just hope both the club and himself part ways on friendly-ish terms at the least if he does leave, and that both do well next season.

It just bugs me that the defender who I think should be the last to leave might be the first, but maybe we'll get a good enough replacement so that it won't matter so much, or maybe even Skrtel and Sakho will end up playing well enough together. I don't think they're a good enough pairing to win the league, but would be glad to be wrong if it's tried and it works.

• Upvote 1

Kelly as well, I think he's a great defender and could've been paired with Agger, but again Rodgers doesn't seem to like him. I just seem to have almost polar opposite views to him with our defenders so may as well just accept it and hope that whatever he does eventually works.

It just bugs me that the defender who I think should be the last to leave might be the first, but maybe we'll get a good enough replacement so that it won't matter so much, or maybe even Skrtel and Sakho will end up playing well enough together. I don't think they're a good enough pairing to win the league, but would be glad to be wrong if it's tried and it works.

I think Skrtel is excellent and Sakho has shown a lot of promise but for some reason they don't seem to blend well. Like, say, bacon and crunchy peanut butter (piss of with yer smooth nonsense).  Both great in their own right but uncomfortable bedfellows.  Maybe they will grow an understanding with more games together?  

Kelly still part of the Rodgeball project according to the Daily Star.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/379571/Martin-Kelly-still-in-Brendan-Rodgers-thoughts-as-Liverpool-plan-for-European-campaign

Kelly, 24, has managed just 15 appearances for the Reds in the past two years under boss Brendan Rodgers.

The England defender was a shock inclusion in Roy Hodgson's Euro 2012 squad and the Liverpool local boy looked set to become a star on Merseyside.

But he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament against Manchester United at the start of the 2012-13 season which kept him sidelined for over a year.

Kelly returned to fitness this season, but he has struggled to work his way into Rodgers' plans.

However, the Kop boss is ready to give him a chance next term and insists the defender will not be part of his summer clear-out at Anfield.

Rodgers is expected to move on a number of fringe players as he revitalises his squad in preparation for Champions League football.

107668.jpgYOUNG LION: Kelly representing England under 21s [GETTY]

The Northern Irishman said: "Martin has been really unfortunate.

"He was out for a year, he came back this season and at the beginning of the season we put him into some games.

"But as the season wore on and we were concentrating on one game a week, it was very difficult for him to get games.

"He's a quality player and he's a good guy as well - he knows the club inside out.

"There will be games next year for the likes of him to come and play in if we continue to qualify in the competitions."

Southampton defender Dejan Lovren insists he will not push for a move away from St Mary's as Liverpool prepare a summer bid.

He said: "The only thing I can say right now is that the club is the one who decides."

• Upvote 1

I think Skrtel is excellent and Sakho has shown a lot of promise but for some reason they don't seem to blend well. Like, say, bacon and crunchy peanut butter (piss of with yer smooth nonsense).  Both great in their own right but uncomfortable bedfellows.  Maybe they will grow an understanding with more games together?  

It might be better if Rodgers learns how to work their tactics out better so they know what they're supposed to be doing more. Losing 3 goals at Palace for instance can't just be blamed on the defenders (which I even pretty much did shortly after too.) and it surely wouldn't have happened if we'd not been going for that stupid goal difference.

At the same time though it won't have done their confidence together much good at all, and could take a bit into next season before it's out of their heads. But if our tactics are about as good as they can be, maybe that nightmare will pass quickly.

edit : and thanks for the link about Kelly. If he's at least given some games next season that's all that can be asked I suppose.

• Upvote 1

The Palace game is just another in a long line of games to learn from, if you look at it from a defensive perspective.  We need to be a bit more savvy and clinical at the right time.  If we get that balance right the trophies will come eventually.  I'm sure Rodgers will be working on tempo and killing off games with our players this summer.  

• Upvote 1

I'm sure Rodgers will be working on tempo and killing off games with our players this summer.  

Agreed, am probably being overly negative because the end of the season still makes me feel half depressed if I think of it for any length of time. It must be one of the main things in the minds of our manager and defenders though so am sure we'll at least manage to improve in that area.

Agreed, am probably being overly negative because the end of the season still makes me feel half depressed if I think of it for any length of time. It must be one of the main things in the minds of our manager and defenders though so am sure we'll at least manage to improve in that area.

As long as we learn from it then all is not lost. 

• Upvote 1