You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

I don't know how you couldn't of heard of Shaqiri, he was the prospect of world football before Munich snapped him up. He has a good goal/assist record there and that's usually from the bench. He'd be a superstar in England.

Dead easy. I watch Liverpool games (when I can be arsed) and that's about it. I didn't even know Bayern Munich had a player called Shaqiri!

What risk?

The risk he wouldn't settle and the risk he would want to leave. I think players already playing in the PL present less of a risk. I also think English born players are less likely to agitate for a move, and Liverpool born players even more so.

If Gerrard wasn't a scouser, there's a chance he would have been long gone. If he wasn't English, he would have left years ago.

That risk.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think it's absolutely bogus to be honest. Whether they leave or not is up to the individual, whilst Gerrard stayed, Macca and Owen didn't. Playing in the Premier League is a bit of a nonsense. Liverpool, more than any other club, should know just how little that holds true.

I like Lallana.

I think he'd fit in well.

For £20M, I'd be ok with that, but no more than that.

If £30M is being quoted as the asking price, then let him go to Spurs with Pocchettino.

There's better value around, and for once, we hold the ace of CL football.

Hope we've been doing our homework though.

I think it's absolutely bogus to be honest. Whether they leave or not is up to the individual, whilst Gerrard stayed, Macca and Owen didn't. Playing in the Premier League is a bit of a nonsense. Liverpool, more than any other club, should know just how little that holds true.

Obviously I think your view is nonsense and bogus, also.

So, to sum up, I am happy to disagree.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Obviously I think your view is nonsense and bogus, also.

So, to sum up, I am happy to disagree.

Yes, but I've got reality on my side, which is nice for me. The idea that Downing and Carroll are less of a risk than Torres from Atleti or Suarez from Ajax just because they played here is silly. The idea that Torres became less of a risk before he moved to Chelsea is daft. Players who come from overseas and don't do well rarely do so because they're from another place, or used to another type of football, they do it because they're shit. Voronin didn't offer more risk because he played in other countries, he did it because he was shit. 

Yes, but I've got reality on my side, which is nice for me. The idea that Downing and Carroll are less of a risk than Torres from Atleti or Suarez from Ajax just because they played here is silly. The idea that Torres became less of a risk before he moved to Chelsea is daft. Players who come from overseas and don't do well rarely do so because they're from another place, or used to another type of football, they do it because they're shit. Voronin didn't offer more risk because he played in other countries, he did it because he was shit. 

Well, clearly being from England doesn't cover for a multitude of shitness. Nor did I say that and, furthermore, nor do I think it.

A question for you though: why do think managers are willing to pay more for English players?

A foreign Lallana woudln't be worth £20m, let alone £30m, Why would Rogers and his merry cabal pay it?

And they aren't leading or antagonistic questions, they are genuine ones.

Was our first bid circa £15million, what the scooby doo fuck brought this fee to £30million.

Without bias here, we are Liverpool, joining us is an honour, add to the fact our team is young, hungry, the most attractive to watch in the country and playing CL football next year.

Fair play to Southampton for wanting us much as they can but Adam Lallana, if we want you, you should be begging to join. I understand he may want to follow his gaffer to Spurs, if that is the case, then go fuck yourself.

Does nobody else have concerns over the fact nobody knew his name until he was 25? When I first heard the name cropping up in pundit circles I thought maybe he was a youth prospect, 20-21 or so. Seems to me he's had one good season and for me, that's not enough to justify that kind of outlay.

Does nobody else have concerns over the fact nobody knew his name until he was 25? When I first heard the name cropping up in pundit circles I thought maybe he was a youth prospect, 20-21 or so. Seems to me he's had one good season and for me, that's not enough to justify that kind of outlay.

I agree. The first time I recall his name was when they in the Championship and he was coming on late as a kind of supersub.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Moof and I were the two I remember mentioning him when he came up to the prem as one to watch.

• Upvote 1

I sort of agree with both Major and NV here.

Players are worth more money being from this league for a number of reasons.  The fact they aren't coming from another country definitely does have an effect.  Comparing Torres and Suarez, and Downing and Carroll is like comparing apples and oranges.

I think the way I would make the point is, if you had the choice between two players who appeared identical, being offered to you for the same price the only difference being that one had played in the prem and the other hadn't you would choose the prem experienced player.  You would do this because the prem is different to any other league.  For better or worse it has its own challenges which some players never acclimatise to.  If you have got a player who has shown he can handle it, it's a box ticked.

The extra price of a prem player is not just because of this though.  You are paying a premium because of what the player is worth to the club you are buying from.  The prem is worth that much money at the moment and selling one of these players could see the start of other players wanting out and then following a potential relegation.  The cost of that is pretty much uncountable at the moment.

Transfer money is worth a lot more in other countries as a lot of them use that money to exist.  That is why they feel the need to sell.  It happens in England as well obviously but the TV split is a lot more even so there's probably more sustainable money to be made out of the league rather than transfers.

• Upvote 2