You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

Is it really as easy as that? He resigns and therefore not bound by any clauses? Surely the Saints board must have asked for some sort of agreement that he doesn't poach their players when he goes to Spurs? I mean, that's what I would be thinking the minute Pochettino put in his resignation. Not that it matters because in the end, players get poached all the time.

I think he waived the money owed or paid up his contract himself. Either way, when you do that then the club you're leaving can't really start throwing in clauses.

Either way, the way it was done means that Southampton can't insist on any weird clauses.

As he had a contract with Southampton, he's had to buy out of it and there was obviously a negotiation that took place to do so, and so there still could have been clauses to them allowing him to leave, as it's just the same as when a club pays the contract up surely. It's possible these clauses were made, though as mentioned above, very unlikely as it wouldn't really be something Southampton would want given the general acceptance that certain players are expected to leave, and so they'd prefer a bidding war.

I still think he'll end up with us, but that maybe Spurs 'interest' will mean we end up paying a couple of million more than the maximum we wished to. 

£6m was about right for Yossi in retrospect, yes. I don't really get your point, though. Jose. it doesn't appear to counter any I am making.

Well the dude you were agreeing with said no one would care about the price if Lallana turned out to be a good signing. So I was pointing out that Yossi was a good signing for 6 mill but at 20 he would have been a disaster. Ergo the price does matter even if a player is a decent signing. Which you then agreed with.

Well the dude you were agreeing with said no one would care about the price if Lallana turned out to be a good signing. So I was pointing out that Yossi was a good signing for 6 mill but at 20 he would have been a disaster. Ergo the price does matter even if a player is a decent signing. Which you then agreed with.

I am just generally agreeable!

Point one: I think the true value of a player to any team can only be decided retrospectively.

Point two: I think Lallana would turn out to be a great asset to us, even at £25m.

I agree the price we paid for Yossi was about right. I also think whatever we would end up paying for Lallana wouldn't be an issue as I think he'd do brilliantly for us.

I can agree with both points without contradicting myself. The unknowns (the opportunity cost of forking out a lot for Lallana) would always remain so. To the fans, anyway.

Is buying a flavour of the month player, who has a handful of caps but is called an International Footballer, with a price rising daily not the exact opposite of what our owners want.

Adam, Carroll & Downing, we lost about £30 million on those guys, Im sure the board remember that.

Earlier posts said how great he was in Southamptons promotion, is it worthwhile looking at Derby, who just missed out? or better still our youth or any player that wants to play for us and doesn't sit with their thumb up their ass.

We are Liverpool, if we knock on your door, you better fucking answer or you can wait for a London club to pay £10k extra.

Now fucking sign so Brendan can get a fucking holiday and Ayre can actually look as if he is capable of signing people and not donuts.

I am just generally agreeable!

Point one: I think the true value of a player to any team can only be decided retrospectively.

Point two: I think Lallana would turn out to be a great asset to us, even at £25m.

I agree the price we paid for Yossi was about right. I also think whatever we would end up paying for Lallana wouldn't be an issue as I think he'd do brilliantly for us.

I can agree with both points without contradicting myself. The unknowns (the opportunity cost of forking out a lot for Lallana) would always remain so. To the fans, anyway.

Righto.

I can see where you are coming from if you think Lallana will be one of those excellent signings where the cost doesn't matter.

Point 1 is true of any player that has ever transferred, ever in the history of football; past, present and future.

Point 2: 25million is steep all points considering; there are more talented and cheaper alternatives out there.

It is a gamble at this point and as a betting man, 25million is too steep a price. People on here thought Allen was steep at 15million, but the manager knew him and worked with him. A calculated risk; the same cannot be said for Lallana.

...the fans, the coaching staff, the manager etc. His abilities are known but the question is not his talent, it is wherever or not we can get he best out of him in a team that has been renowned for their attack.

25million is too much for him no matter how you cut it. Over 15million many need some thought but not a penny over 20. 

Point 1 is true of any player that has ever transferred, ever in the history of football; past, present and future.

Point 2: 25million is steep all points considering; there are more talented and cheaper alternatives out there.

1. Yeah, I was just emphasising a point I made earlier.

2. Who? Genuine question. You'll know more than me. So who should we be looking at in the AM role?

...the fans, the coaching staff, the manager etc. His abilities are known but the question is not his talent, it is wherever or not we can get he best out of him in a team that has been renowned for their attack.

I was referring to how else we could have spent the money. I was responding to Jose's point about Benny Noon and Torres.

25million is too much for him no matter how you cut it. Over 15million many need some thought but not a penny over 20. 

I don't think it is. I may be proven wrong, mind, but I really think he's a good player and would be great for us.

I think he needs to have done way more than he has by his age, if he''s going to cost that amount of money. I may be turning down a future Liverpool great, by admitting I hope this is one deal Spurs are actually able to close.

it's really easy to be wise after the event, but I'm sure everyone was saying pretty similar things about Henderson - i.e. anything more than £10m and we've been F'd in the A etc. etc. But with 20:20 hindsight, it actually looks pretty decent business. 

it's really easy to be wise after the event, but I'm sure everyone was saying pretty similar things about Henderson - i.e. anything more than £10m and we've been F'd in the A etc. etc. But with 20:20 hindsight, it actually looks pretty decent business. 

Henderson was a relative kid. We did overpay for him, but after 2 seasons, he really kicked on. Lallana doesn't have that luxury. If he has a season like Henderson first season, then will we see £10m back for him?

You can't compare apples and oranges, otherwise we'll be waiting for Lallana to approach 30 before we see his best performances.

I take your point about his age, but the basic idea that £x million makes sound financial sense, but £x+5 million is madness, is something that can't really be judged until after the event. 

I think he's overpriced at both the plus and minus £5m figures. And neither of them make sound financial sense.