You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez contract

Remmie

I briefly saw a breaking news section pop up on the BBC saying Luis was in talks for a new contract, though it seems to have disappeared. I also seem to recall someone on FB saying a week ago we were talking to him. Anyone know anything?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, I couldn't find it on the first page

I of course only thought to google a couple seconds after posting this, this is what the Guardian have to say:

Liverpool have opened talks with Luis Suárez's agent over the new contract they hope will keep the brilliant Uruguay international at Anfield and out of the reach of Europe's richest clubs for the prime of his career.

The Anfield club's managing director, Ian Ayre, flew to Barcelona on Tuesday for preliminary negotiations with Pere Guardiola, the agent involved in the striker's dispute with Liverpool over the terms in his existing deal when Arsenal tried to sign him in the summer.

Suárez has two and a half years remaining on his contract and Liverpool's owners, Fenway Sports Group, have been reluctant to offer extensions midway through a season. Such has been Suárez's stunning form since his return from suspension on 25 September, with his 17 goals in 11 matches propelling Liverpool to within two points of the Premier League leaders, Arsenal, that those plans have been revised.

There was no official contract offer put to Guardiola by Ayre. Their meeting was merely the start of what could prove a protracted process, with the brother of the Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola well aware of how highly Suárez's stock has risen this season. Real Madrid were interested in the 26-year-old in the summer but did not lodge an official bid, although they are expected to again be among Suárez's suitors at the end of this campaign.

Liverpool hope to head off another summer of speculation over the striker's future by offering to make Suárez the highest-paid player at Anfield at a time when his career is flourishing under Brendan Rodgers.

The rehabilitation of the Premier League's leading goalscorer was reflected in a rare individual accolade on Monday, when he was named the 2013 player of the year at the Football Supporters' Federation Awards at the Emirates Stadium.

Suárez chose "coming back to play" at Anfield as his highlight of the year and credited his relationship with the Liverpool supporters as the key to his recovery.

He said: "After so many difficult moments for me I was able to win the supporters back, and that was unbelievable when I came back to play.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/17/liverpool-luis-suarez-agent-contract

If we get into the champions league then I think he'll be here for the foreseeable future.

And if negotiations were to be concluded before we know our fate this season I don't think we could argue with a new contract which included a very hefty release clause should we not qualify

Makes sense, if we don't make CL this season there's no hope of keeping him no matter what we offer him, so may as well get him to sign something now that raises his wages a bit but also includes a clause that says he can go to a team abroad if they meet a 80 million release clause. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I really like the way the owners and the manager handled Suarez in the summer. He had everyone in this country, including the PM, on his case. He had people in his ear. He acted like a prick, but the owners said no and the manager brought him back to earth with a bump by making him train alone.

Nobody can say it hasn't worked. I'd love him to commit to the club, but if he doesn't then get a massive fee and move on. I'm just going to enjoy having the best player in the world at the moment in the team. It'll end at some. point, so make the most of it.

• Upvote 2

Here's the link to the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25425701

Liverpool have opened talks with Luis Suarez's agent over a deal that could make the Uruguayan striker the highest-paid player in the club's history.

Managing director Ian Ayre returned to Merseyside on Tuesday having spent 24 hours in Spain, where he held talks with Suarez's agent, Pere Guardiola.

Liverpool's owners have sanctioned the deal but it remains to be seen whether Suarez, 26, is willing to commit beyond 2016, when his current contract ends.

Real Madrid retain an interest in him.

But Reds manager Brendan Rodgers saidrecently: "He is really happy here. He is playing with a smile and enthusiasm. The whole profile of the club fits him perfectly. The supporters idolise him and you can see the connection there."

It may take a contract offer of close to £200,000 per week, double Suarez's present deal, to persuade him to sign a new contract. However his relationship with leading figures at Anfield has improved significantly since he attempted to force a move to Arsenal in the summer.

The Gunners made two bids for the Uruguay international, including a club-record offer of £40m plus £1 in an attempt to trigger a release clause in his contract.

Both were rejected, with Rodgers accusing Arsenal of "playing games".

Suarez was considering submitting a formal transfer request and the possibility of court action if the dispute was not resolved as he believed the second bid triggered a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave the club, whom he signed for in January 2011 for a fee of £22.7m.

Suarez was initially made to train alone during pre-season, but returned to the first-team fold on 16 August after talks with Rodgers.

He missed the first six games of the season after being given a 10-match ban in April for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic, but returned against Manchester United on 25 September and has scored 17 goals in 12 games.

I really like the way the owners and the manager handled Suarez in the summer. He had everyone in this country, including the PM, on his case. He had people in his ear. He acted like a prick, but the owners said no and the manager brought him back to earth with a bump by making him train alone.

Nobody can say it hasn't worked. I'd love him to commit to the club, but if he doesn't then get a massive fee and move on. I'm just going to enjoy having the best player in the world at the moment in the team. It'll end at some. point, so make the most of it.

wise words from one so young.

This time from Tony Barett. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbuKFLeCIAA21zu.png:large

Unable to copy content and paste it here because it's an image file.

Interesting piece regarding Rossiter and Brad Smith towards the end of the article. Rodgers saying that they are training with the senior squad and they might get a chance as the season goes by.

Numero V is right.

I cannot see why Suarez would sign a new contract before the summer. There is the question of our CL qualification and the WC to consider as a platform for showcasing his talents from his point of view.

The ideal scenario for us is CL qualification, then a couple of marquee signings BEFORE the WC starts.

Well said.

And I'm glad you refer to him as the best player in the world. I'm getting sick of people putting Messi and Ronaldo ahead of him. Wouldn't swap him for anybody.

This time from Tony Barett. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbuKFLeCIAA21zu.png:large

Unable to copy content and paste it here because it's an image file.

Interesting piece regarding Rossiter and Brad Smith towards the end of the article. Rodgers saying that they are training with the senior squad and they might get a chance as the season goes by.

Here you go:

BbuKFLeCIAA21zu.png

I've heard £200k a week, £65m release clause to a Champions League club BUT that clause is only active if we AREN'T in the Champions League.

Seems fair to me, he's worth £65m as that's a silly amount of money, but if we think Bale went for £86m then I think we are short changing ourselves.

Crazy to think he currently earns less than Glen Johnson.

Champions league club, NOT in England would be good as the clause. But screw that shit, we will qualify, sign two top players, Suarez will stay, be the greatest player we've ever had, and we will be great for the next 40 years. After that I'll probably be dead or senile so won't worry too much about it.

It has to be a clause to move abroad, not to another club in England. We got lucky that Torres turned out to be shit for those cunts, but Suarez won't do that. If he goes, he goes, but it would knock us back at least 2 years (he's that good), and drastically improve any club he signed for.