You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Baker's..

Stouffer

2 minutes ago, Onkalo said:

I can't be ageist because I am a similar age. I know the rules of this game. 

Lies!

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

I find it hard to believe you've made it this far without ever seeing a photo of her.

I've seen plenty of photos of her obviously, I still didn't realise she was mixed race. Her skin tone is that light to me that I didn't notice. It's not as if I've ever spent any decent amount of time looking at photos of her either, always just quickly saw them as I've been looking for other things on news/social media sites then moved on.

I don't know if things have got that pc that me saying I didn't notice she was mixed race because I think her skin tone is light is wrong or not, but it's the 100% truth so I'm not gonna say something else. I think it's great that someone of mixed race is now a Royal too for whatever that's worth.

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Apparently he often uses the phrase ‘chimps in suits’ on his show to describe toffs and the upper class.  

Who needs context, it's far more gratifying to think that Baker has been secretly racist during his four decades in the media, biding his time until the day he can compare a mixed race infant to a chimpanzee.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Onkalo said:

Seems a decent bloke, the snowflakes have savaged him for an obvious mistake. 

It seems a lifetime of being a decent bloke doesn't matter. I'm not defending his tweet, I don't believe he in any way intended it to represent what the permanently offended are claiming though. They are the cancer on our society IMHO. 

Racism is a cancer on our society 

I suggest we dunk Baker in the Thames, if he floats he's a racist if he sinks he isn't. Seems fair enough. 

I'll stop here, I don't watch or particularly enjoy Danny Baker on TV. So he's taken up enough of my time and I've made my point, numerous times. 

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Seems innocent enough, a flippant joke he didn't think through. I'm not a fan of his, and may be unfamiliar with his work, but has he ever said or done anything that would intimate this represented a more malicious view?

It’s racist. It stands alone as being racist, you don’t need to contextualise it with all of his views for the last 40 years. Portraying the first mixed race royal baby as a chimp? Yeah, fuck right off with that one 

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've seen plenty of photos of her obviously, I still didn't realise she was mixed race. Her skin tone is that light to me that I didn't notice. It's not as if I've ever spent any decent amount of time looking at photos of her either, always just quickly saw them as I've been looking for other things on news/social media sites then moved on.

I don't know if things have got that pc that me saying I didn't notice she was mixed race because I think her skin tone is light is wrong or not, but it's the 100% truth so I'm not gonna say something else. I think it's great that someone of mixed race is now a Royal too for whatever that's worth.

No, that's fair enough. Surprising you didn't realise, but fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

No, that's fair enough. Surprising you didn't realise, but fair enough.

Am surprised now too to be honest looking at photos of her. It's probably because I actively avoid news on the Royals I think. If I had any interest I'd have probably noticed the more I saw her photos.

Incidentally, I’ve seen an interview with Baker on his doorstep this morning where he’s claiming that when he posted the picture he didn’t know which royals had had a baby, just that there was one. Said he obviously well knew the racist trope generally and that’s why it didn’t occur to him how this tweet would be read.

Yesterday he said he didn’t see how a monkey picture could be viewed in the context of racism as his mind doesn’t work that way, having by that point been told it was the mixed race latest member of the royal family, who’s movements have obviously gone quite underreported this last couple of years, so it seems he’s changing his story a bit.

No idea if he’s racist or not, but it never sounds too clever when different excuses come out in quick succession, does it. And he keeps saying Occam’s Razor, which is always immensely tedious. Apropos of nothing.

4 minutes ago, moof said:

You think comparing a mixed race baby to a monkey is not racist?

Just when I thought I was out.... (so what you're saying is...)

I was waiting for that response, yes comparing a baby of mixed race to a monkey is racist, there can be no doubt about that and it's absolutely wrong. I am saying that I believe him when he says that it was not intended that way and when it was pointed out he removed it. I do not believe he is a racist but yes the tweet can be taken as a racist tweet. And yes he should have realised & known better.

Which is why he has now not got a job and is a social pariah. 

And I'm out. 

2 minutes ago, Onkalo said:

Just when I thought I was out....

I was waiting for that response, yes comparing a baby of mixed race to a monkey is racist, there can be no doubt about that and it's absolutely wrong. I am saying that I believe him when he says that it was not intended that way and when it was pointed out he removed it. I do not believe he is a racist but yes the tweet can be taken as a racist tweet. And yes he should have realised & known better.

Which is why he has now not got a job and is a social pariah. 

And I'm out. 

So... racist tweets are not real racism? Or, what?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, moof said:

So... racist tweets are not real racism? Or, what?

(so what you're saying is)

I think it can be possible to say something or post something that you do not intend to be racist but realise after that it can be taken that way. Especially if (as it seems in this case) you often refer to posh people as chimps in suits. Whatever his thinking, wether alcohol fuelled or just stupidity he claims he did not intend it to be taken that way. 

It still makes it a racist post. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So if it’s a strict liability offence how did JC get away with the mural?  That was racist, he liked it.  Ergo he should be cancelled too.  

That’s probably not going to do anything at all for this thread or conversation mate to be fair. 

Is it not okay to leave one of these threads without a load of shite about Corbyn. Genuinely has become immensely tedious.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, moof said:

It’s racist. It stands alone as being racist, you don’t need to contextualise it with all of his views for the last 40 years. Portraying the first mixed race royal baby as a chimp? Yeah, fuck right off with that one 

I disagree, much like Chomsky argues Holocaust denial doesn't always equate to antisemitism, posting a silly monkey picture will not always equate to the poster's racism, or in itself be a racist act. That it so often does is besides the point.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Onkalo said:

Victim again. 

Because you're quoting me and I'm trying to appeal to that much underused rational side of your brain and see that a simple mistake doesn't automatically make someone a racist. He hasn't suddenly woken up and become a racist, he's not hidden in the shadows all his life and thought 'now, now is the time' he hasn't managed thousands of live broadcast on all manner of subjects and kept it hidden. Otherwise he'd be far too clever to post something so stupid. 

I don't accept that it was a simple mistake.  Also, assuming it is, I still don't have a problem with the BBC taking the action they did.  They have their own public image to protect and can make whichever decision they feel is in their best interests.  That doesn't equate to "the snowflakes have won again", or whichever immature way you want to try and spin it.

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't accept that it was a simple mistake.  Also, assuming it is, I still don't have a problem with the BBC taking the action they did.  They have their own public image to protect and can make whichever decision they feel is in their best interests.  That doesn't equate to "the snowflakes have won again", or whichever immature way you want to try and spin it.

As I am entitled to go with his explanation of a simple mistake (for now) you have every right to think him a vile evil racist. I also agree that The BBC have every right to protect their public image (however shit that currently is) and so can fire him if they feel they can do so within his contract of employment.