You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gym Beglin

Yeah we rent' date=' as we cannot afford to buy a house. The wedding itself most probably only cost us 1K over two years.

We had lots gifts from people, ie my parents and the wedding reception, her dads wedding band, flowers from her mums best friend, her mum bought her dress which was £120. You know what I mean.

I wanted the stuff above but would never spend that money on just a day.[/quote']

I thought you spent ten grand sorry

Best wedding I've ever been to was in a hired marquee in a farmers field. Everyone was dressed smart but relaxed, there were two dogs wandering around at the wedding and the 'do' was a hog roast, BBQ's, a piss up and every one camped there.

There was less than 40 of us there.

Me and a few mates were talking about weddings over the weekend, one piss takingly pipes up if Sherry ever gets married again it'll be in the middle of a field with everyone camping. She wasn't expecting me to come out with that i'd want everyone wearing wellies too. A wedding should be about the ceremony and the couples relationship, not how lavish it can be.

A rule of thumb i've noted isn't about how much the wedding has cost but the number of guests present, the fewer the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Not been at a wedding for a little while (life stage, I guess) but I've been to some fascinating, beautiful and very varied funerals over the past couple of years (none have been for people I've been very close to, friends' parents in the main, which obviously colours my opinion)

I'd rather just have some beers with friends than go through a social experience surrounded by people, most of whom I have no time for.

There's always at least one drunken idiot of an uncle (yeah peter kaye ya twat, you don't have the monopoly on that) who goes off one one and then a youngster that can't take their ale.

I recently went through a harrowing experience, one of my daughters got married. One side, the grooms family and of course I knew none of them. The other side my ex and her family. I only have my kids for family so it was never going to be a comfortable day and one which I dreaded. I hope my second daughter decides not to get married because I hope to never have to endure another wedding in my lifetime.

I recently went through a harrowing experience, one of my daughters got married. One side, the grooms family and of course I knew none of them. The other side my ex and her family. I only have my kids for family so it was never going to be a comfortable day and one which I dreaded. I hope my second daughter decides not to get married because I hope to never have to endure another wedding in my lifetime.

Hopefully, she'll turn up one day with her nice bloke, tell you they got married privately and take you down to the pub for a few beers and a steak and kidney pie or some such.

Hopefully, she'll turn up one day with her nice bloke, tell you they got married privately and take you down to the pub for a few beers and a steak and kidney pie or some such.

I offered to pay off the lost deposit for the venue and double my contribution if my daughter agreed to go off and have a wedding somewhere quiet like she initially wanted.

Anyway, it all went well for her, which is the main thing. That I hardly slept a wink or ate a thing for three nights leading up to the event is barely noticeable on the photos if you assume I am in fact dead in them.

I'd actually go for the tackiest wedding you can get in Vegas with a pissed up, coked up fat Elvis doing it.

This is what I really want to do.

I've discussed weddings on here before and my last post on that thread still sums up my feelings.

I like weddings for the most part, having a few beers with friends and family is ace but after attending about 15 weddings in 5 years I can say that for the most part they just blend in to one. Odd ones stand out, whether that's because it's someone closer to you (like my sister's last month) or it's something different (the girlfriend's sister got married in Italy, which was ace).

I've been with the other half for 7 years now, we're pretty much the last of our group of friends or family not to be married or have children, it certainly feels like there's a lot of pressure to do it. Two years ago, before we lived togther, I'd have ruled either instantly but I've thought more about it since then and I know that's what she'll eventually want but we'll do it in our own time and our own way. I don't go for the 'traditional' way of doing things personally, if it was me then there'd be no church, no tails on suits, no horrendous wedding DJ and what not. I'd never want a 'big' wedding but I come from a big family and I know how much offence people would take at not being invited but for the ideal for me would be to have a civil ceremony with parents, grandparents, siblings and nieces/nephews there and that's it; perhaps we'd throw a party for everyone else but I'll never be able to justify spending thousands upon thousands on a single day.

I told my Mum, dead straight, that when I get married it will be in Vegas, by Elvis and I want a steak dinner with that. She look mortified. I still think it's a great plan.

That I hardly slept a wink or ate a thing for three nights leading up to the event is barely noticeable on the photos if you assume I am in fact dead in them.

Well, at least if she ever remarries you cant comfort yourself that it cant be any worse than the first time ;)

I'd rather just have some beers with friends than go through a social experience surrounded by people, most of whom I have no time for.

There's always at least one drunken idiot of an uncle (yeah peter kaye ya twat, you don't have the monopoly on that) who goes off one one and then a youngster that can't take their ale.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/67422-scally-weddings.html

Well, at least if she ever remarries you cant comfort yourself that it cant be any worse than the first time ;)

Oh yes it can, luckily for me his family are all nice people, not saying my ex hasn't got nice decent members in it, but to give you an idea, I was heckled at the start of my Father of the Bride speech.

This is what I really want to do.

I've discussed weddings on here before and my last post on that thread still sums up my feelings.

I like weddings for the most part, having a few beers with friends and family is ace but after attending about 15 weddings in 5 years I can say that for the most part they just blend in to one. Odd ones stand out, whether that's because it's someone closer to you (like my sister's last month) or it's something different (the girlfriend's sister got married in Italy, which was ace).

I've been with the other half for 7 years now, we're pretty much the last of our group of friends or family not to be married or have children, it certainly feels like there's a lot of pressure to do it. Two years ago, before we lived togther, I'd have ruled either instantly but I've thought more about it since then and I know that's what she'll eventually want but we'll do it in our own time and our own way. I don't go for the 'traditional' way of doing things personally, if it was me then there'd be no church, no tails on suits, no horrendous wedding DJ and what not. I'd never want a 'big' wedding but I come from a big family and I know how much offence people would take at not being invited but for the ideal for me would be to have a civil ceremony with parents, grandparents, siblings and nieces/nephews there and that's it; perhaps we'd throw a party for everyone else but I'll never be able to justify spending thousands upon thousands on a single day.

I told my Mum, dead straight, that when I get married it will be in Vegas, by Elvis and I want a steak dinner with that. She look mortified. I still think it's a great plan.

And that's the trouble with them, isnt it (apart from everything else that is) they so easily end up being hijacked by other people or you trying to meet everyone else's needs and doing the 'right thing' when its meant to be 'your' day

I went to another fucking evening do last weekend.

Cheap booze, but a wasted evening. Outdoor, tent, cheesy dj, didn't really have any affinity for the bride or groom, and they let off some fireworks just to underline how amazing a night it was for them.

However, they also did a duet, and I mean a comedic theatre/mime, to Bohemian Rhapsody. I just looked around in increduality, obviously thinking that we were all just going to rush the stage and punch their lights out, that was obviously the only course of action to take, surely? But I looked around and saw people grinning and standing. I saw ladies open-mouthed in 'shock', and 'delirium'. I sought solace and went towards the food table, on the way to the bar, and clocked a tray stacked full of burgers in buns. BOOM, I thought, get some ale down me, and then go and grab a couple of them twats for home.

No. I ended up talking for two hours with the harbour master about some candidly depressing aspects of their children's lives, and hospital visits, and he then told me tales of great nights spent on shore leave in Dubai and St Tropez.

Suitably depressed and now just tired after sitting outside in the smoking area in the cold night air, I thought now was the time to go on my burger odyssey. I approached the burgers, I grabbed two, this was amazing. I looked inside the buns...fucking solid, stale lumps of beef, no dressing or sauce. Dry buns, with dry cold meat, I was appalled.

I left shortly afterwards and went home while others stayed out. The wedding had stolen my joy once again, another weekend lost to a shit wedding.

They're kinda shit now I'm single. It's a couples thing isn't it.

It's actually quite distressing. I went to a christening and saw a few lads I hadn't seen for a while with their wives, HP cars and kids - the last I heard they'd been born, now they were running around and shit. I didn't feel envious, just really - really out of place, like they were all different people with different priorities and ways of thinking, as I suppose they are. It was like I'd missed out on Bastogne and met up with Easy Company when they came home.

I dont mind them but recently went to one and all our friends only got invited to the evening do, despite us all going to the stag/hen do (paid about £300 for the privalege) and knowing them the past 20 years combined. Even going to a pre wedding camping trip a month ago, the same group of people that didnt have an invite to the ceremony. No one else came, just us lot.

I'm not really arsed about these types of things but after me and the mrs have been left out of pocket due to their hen/stag do's then I feel a little put out, so does everyone else in our circle of friends as they are in the same boat.

Bunch of cunts, but I wish them all the happyness in the world.

Edited by Juniper

• 5 months later...