You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Just had a look at the match thread on one of their forums. Even their fans don't seem arsed about losing to the Mancs because they 'always' lose at Old Trafford. Talk about prepare for defeat and you'll always succeed in your aims.

Weren't United in for him for something stupid like 80 million or something?

The papers reckoned they were sniffing around, but don't think it was that much (50m maybe?).

It's always the danger with one season though, but if you wait two seasons, the prices goes up.

As soon as a team like Spurs think they've got a red hot goalscorer, their entire play starts focussing on him. Nullify him and they have no other options.

I'm sure he'll get a few, as he'll get a disproportionate number of opportunities due to Spurs looking for him all the time, but doubt he'll ever have another year like last (not wishing to tempt fate!)

Why are commentators talking about it being a hot day and hard pre-season? what bollocks. it's 21 degrees in Manchester, near perfect weather for football.

It's 25 degrees in London, so my heart goes out to those players playing under such conditions. Surprised the Italian and Spanish leagues haven't abandoned their seasons.

Guest Super Sub

Why are commentators talking about it being a hot day and hard pre-season? what bollocks.

Well you are probably about 30 miles away from me and it's not hot warm yes and a bit of a breeze.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think Kane is absolute quality. Even today, with very little service, he was winning everything in the air and making very smart decisions with the ball.

Spurs were decent but dreadful defensively for the goal, almost like watching us. Still have them to finish above us this season. Pochettino has them super fit and able to press for 90 minutes.

• Upvote 1

Easy enough concept to grasp. Spurs are considered potential competitors for 5th, whilst if Liverpool are to get top 4, you need top 4 candidates to drop points. It's a question of which is the better result to benefit you. 

If we win all our games we'll win the league. Unless we lose all our games and get relegated. How that will benefit Spurs and United remains to be seen, unless they also get relegated which will mean we'll all be on level pegging in the Championship next season. But I'll have to see what the pundits say about all the other teams in the Championship before I reflect on how we'll do in that division of football. You're right, conjecture is an incredibly simple concept to grasp. It's also fucking futile.

First game seeing Rooney as their main striker and they looked as toothless as I was expecting, Manu won't be a threat or competing with us for places this season unless they end up signing a world class striker before the window closes.

They will be a threat. They are a threat. Beatable, but as long as teams let them play, they'll get results.

Spurs were decent but dreadful defensively for the goal, almost like watching us. Still have them to finish above us this season. Pochettino has them super fit and able to press for 90 minutes.

Judging by what I've been told about this game (I didn't watch it), Spurs looked knackered, lacked any sort of tempo and barely pressed the Mancs at all. Yes, it is one game rather than a season's worth of evidence, but then your final point has no evidence as yet behind it either. Just saying.

• Upvote 1

Spurs were all over them for about 60% of the game including the last 20 minutes. Maybe I need my glasses changed. They also scored loads of late winners last season. I rate Pochettino as a coach so maybe it's my bias clouding judgement.

I thought Spurs had the better of it until the goal. But mostly possession stats not goal threats.

There was nothing devastating about United though, and I thought Spurs could have been enthused by that and fancied their chances of snatching something. I didn't see too much fight in Spurs personally. Last few minutes it looked like they realised there was something to be had, but it was a bit late by then.

Opening games are always odd, so in that respect, it's par for the course, but I think it was a real chance for Spurs to do United today.

First game seeing Rooney as their main striker and they looked as toothless as I was expecting, Manu won't be a threat or competing with us for places this season unless they end up signing a world class striker before the window closes.

Their midfield pisses on ours from a great height, so I guess it evens out.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think Kane is absolute quality. Even today, with very little service, he was winning everything in the air and making very smart decisions with the ball.

I agree with Kane, don't agree they'll finish above us though. Kane is the truth, you don't score 30+ goals in all comps at his age without becoming a quality player.