You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2022 at 17:35, Kepler-186 said:

Saw this post on FB about Kenneth Griffith, Welsh actor and documentary maker. 

Lots of his docs are on YouTube, and many were censored at the time including the one about Michael Collins.

He was a world renowned expert on the Boer War, and was a world class documentary maker denied greater exposure. 

He played the gay Medic Whity in Wild Geese, amongst other roles. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Griffith?wprov=sfti1

Some really good historical documentaries on the channel. 

82DC67A0-04C5-4E32-9FEA-C4B2BF8CA5FC.jpeg

B0D94907-2C84-44CD-9F8F-D83DFAFF726D.jpeg

Watched the documentary Soldiers Of The Widow about the Boer War. Kenneth Griffith was a world leading authority on the war. 

The sound quality is quite poor but if you can stick with it up to about 8 minutes in, he tells a great tale we should all know. If you can persevere with the whole thing it’s fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the 3 episode documentary series “The Irish Civil War” (2022)

Narrated by Brendan Gleason, it deals with the period prior to the Easter Rising, the War of Independence and subsequent Civil War between Pro and Anti Treaty Forces. 

Very last part covers 1930s to the present day. 

Well worth a watch. The historians used to help illuminate the story all seemed on top of their game, and were balanced. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19516522/

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Some nice light weekend viewing. 

Recommend Attica: America’s Bloodiest Prison Uprising.

Tells the story of a 1972 prison revolt with interviews and archive footage. 

It’s under Storyville on iPlayer. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12482898/

I watched that. I was aware of it but didn’t realise how cuntish the authorities were in bringing it to a resolution. Appalling what happened at the end. Depressing that that could actually happen in a supposedly democratic western society. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shitty Arse said:

I watched that. I was aware of it but didn’t realise how cuntish the authorities were in bringing it to a resolution. Appalling what happened at the end. Depressing that that could actually happen in a supposedly democratic western society. 

Like you I think I’d heard of it, but didn’t realise its significance nor as you point out the reality of the “resolution”. 

On 12/05/2023 at 18:44, Kepler-186 said:

Some nice light weekend viewing. 

Recommend Attica: America’s Bloodiest Prison Uprising.

Tells the story of a 1972 prison revolt with interviews and archive footage. 

It’s under Storyville on iPlayer. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12482898/

I’m watching it now. Only 10 minutes or so in. How/why are there video cameras in the middle of it?

22 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m watching it now. Only 10 minutes or so in. How/why are there video cameras in the middle of it?

Not 100% sure but I think one of the leaders got the word out early to some sympathetic media types to highlight their demands so there’s inside footage when they went in to interview and report. 

Crazy isn’t it? 

Then there’s the State Police footage. 

2 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Not 100% sure but I think one of the leaders got the word out early to some sympathetic media types to highlight their demands so there’s inside footage when they went in to interview and report. 

Crazy isn’t it? 

Then there’s the State Police footage. 

Fucking hell: just finished it. That was horrendous. Absolutely jaw dropping. 

and the same ending as all of these things… the white text on black background “no member of law enforcement was charged with any wrongdoing”

8 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Fucking hell: just finished it. That was horrendous. Absolutely jaw dropping. 

and the same ending as all of these things… the white text on black background “no member of law enforcement was charged with any wrongdoing”

Yeah it was shocking. 

There’s a book about it called Blood In The Water by Heather Ann Thompson. It won the Pulitzer. 

Decided to order one of her other books first and it arrived today. 

IMG_0697.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 02/04/2023 at 10:56, Kepler-186 said:

Just finished the 3 episode documentary series “The Irish Civil War” (2022)

Narrated by Brendan Gleason, it deals with the period prior to the Easter Rising, the War of Independence and subsequent Civil War between Pro and Anti Treaty Forces. 

Very last part covers 1930s to the present day. 

Well worth a watch. The historians used to help illuminate the story all seemed on top of their game, and were balanced. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19516522/

Thanks. 

Agreed, a balanced, and clear, presentation of a very complex situation.

I was struck by the parallels between the situation then and later in the north.

12 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Thanks. 

Agreed, a balanced, and clear, presentation of a very complex situation.

I was struck by the parallels between the situation then and later in the north.

Yeah very similar. 

New series on the Beeb tomorrow called Once Upon A Time in Northern Ireland. 9pm BBC2. 

Watched Bobby Sands:66 Days recently as well. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5931144/

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2023 at 08:55, Kepler-186 said:

Yeah it was shocking. 

There’s a book about it called Blood In The Water by Heather Ann Thompson. It won the Pulitzer. 

112779ac85f72800a6789a9a13946ec4.jpg

Kepler yesterday.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I need some good stuff to download to watch on my long flight to Rhodes.

Any recent recommendations gratefully received. I am not a smart bloke though, so nothing about space-time. I am far too stoopid for that stuff.

Films would be good too. I better go bump a thread. I don't like sad films though. Hate investing in a character only for him/her to cark it.

• 4 weeks later...