You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

tweaks or an overhaul?

spider-neil

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the reason that he isn't being played that much is because Kenny recognises that he hasn't got football intelligence.You can't teach it to a forward. You can tell them to make runs, but not to anticpate where the ball will fall or be played.

If you can't outwit Cardiff, but look useful in defence against their attack, the die is cast.

If he is played regularly you want to instruct GJ/Enrique, Downing, Mata to bomb down the flanks, ping it in for the big man, and have Luis feeding off he knock-downs- but we are not even playing to his strengths.

If only, mate

Sorry im not a super fan, looking for super fan points and a nice green bar next to my name.

We're a mile of where this club should be.

If you choose not to see it then fine.

What a knob

Your hilarious, can u ever post anything without mentioning

Your red bars?

I bet u havnt slept for months worrying about it.

Whopper

Tweaks please.

As many have stated a good finisher (e.g. Huntelaar), a quick and dangerous right winger and a capable central midfielder with a capacity for link up play. Whilst retaining our better players would make us a decent proposition.

Given the players likely to head out of the door this summer we should have the requisite wages to spend on incoming players but having the funds for transfer fee's may cause problems especially with the uefa fair play rules currently being in operation.

having had a think about it, now its obvious we won't make the Champions League I think we need to be going for players at clubs like Dortmund and Lille etc

Would like to see us having a look at Lewandowski and Kagawa from Dortmund and maybe Gotze too (I thought he'd be out of our range but he only seems to be linked with Arsenal and I think even without CL we're more attractive) then try for the likes of Hazard but that'd probably prove fruitless

I also think we should consider Kalou on a free, not the best player by any means but more than capable of scoring a few goals of the bench and being a good squad player for the wing or upfront

happy with our defence and think it should remain the same with just Aurelio out but he doesn't really count anymore, would offload Downing if we could get a decent price for him and maybe Adam if we could get someone decent in, maybe Sahin? I'd personally keep Maxi and play him more but I can't see that happening so he'll probably go too and I'd also let Dirk go depending on a replacement, like what I've seen of Munian too but don't know how much he'd likely cost

*I appreciate this is all speculative bollocks before someone comes out with a FM comment

Would like to see us having a look at Lewandowski and Kagawa from Dortmund and maybe Gotze too (I thought he'd be out of our range but he only seems to be linked with Arsenal and I think even without CL we're more attractive) then try for the likes of Hazard but that'd probably prove fruitless

Why?

Why?

Arsenal are only going one way until they start replacing players who leave properly, I find it unbelievable that they are even in contention for next years CL which just goes to show how shit us and Chelsea have been, Van Persie will go in the summer, and then we're just a bigger club in general, counts for fuck all when competing with City etc for players but Arsenal are hardly the club everyone wants to be at

Is the team we want in there somewhere or am I deluded?

Looking at the performances this year we've played some great football and dominated games for the most part. I've been saying since the start if a few of the efforts that hit the post had gone it we would have a few extra points here and there. Straight off the top of my head we should have won the games against Arsenal and QPR but came away with nothing. That would be 6extra points right there which would put is back in the running for a top four spot. I look at the cup runs and think he could have two trophies in the cabinet by the end of the season.

But then I look at the table and we are 7th. Miles off fourth, not even in touching distance of Newcastle even, with Swansea City not far behind us. I start to think am I looking at the team through kenny tinted spectacles???

Im not sure whether we are just desperately unlucky and a few minor tweaks in the summer would mean be can start to convert much more of our chances next season and we would rocket up the table. But again I feel like I've been saying next season next season for years.

I'm confused at the moment but I do feel a winning team is in their somewhere and Kenny should be given the summer to tweak the squad.

Carroll doesn't deserve a place on the bench, never-mind the team.

Downing is a good enough squad player, but i'd rather Raheem was on the bench for us. Adam and Henderson aren't good enough for a CL squad, but not as bad as Carroll.

The club should be signing 3 top class first team players and maybe a cheap resourceful player such as Bellamy.

We're short of players with the necessary football intelligence, mental strength, competitive drive, single mindedness and wherewithal. Leaders. Players like Bellamy, Gerrard, Suarez and even Kuyt who may not have the ability, but never hides or shirks responsibility. Player who refuse to settle for a 3 nil lead, but to ultimately crush the opposition. Overhaul for me.

We're short five quality players at the very least. And i'm not sure Adam, Carroll, Henderson can be trusted even as back-up. Have any of them made any kind of impact from the bench this season?

They should all be fucked off. Which is depressing. And Downing too.

Carroll, Henderson and Downing for £80m are the sort of signings that get managers the sack. We have one of the shittest midfields and attacks in the Premiership.

I'm fucking sick and tired of them all. Carroll keeps getting dropped, so if Kenny wants to hold his fucking hands up and admit he wasted £35m, do it now, instead of fannying about. Newcastle want him. Get rid if he isn't going to play.

Readysalted Horrenderson is just utterly fucking shit, I never want to see him play for us again, so fuck him off to someone like Bolton, Stoke, West Brom or Everton - I doubt Sunderland would have him back - and Downing is at best decent winger with no bottle, so he can fuck off to Villa for £8m.

Adam is a decent, if horribly slow, cm player. He would flourish at a team like Swansea or,er,.........Blackpool if he doesn't fancy being on the bench.

If we start next season with these twats all in the team still, we can look forward to another season scrapping with West Brom, Swansea and Everton for the spots just below the Top 6.

Bored with them. Just fuck off.

Carroll, Henderson and Downing for £80m are the sort of signings that get managers the sack. We have one of the shittest midfields and attacks in the Premiership.

I'm fucking sick and tired of them all. Carroll keeps getting dropped, so if Kenny wants to hold his fucking hands up and admit he wasted £35m, do it now, instead of fannying about. Newcastle want him. Get rid if he isn't going to play.

Readysalted Horrenderson is just utterly fucking shit, I never want to see him play for us again, so fuck him off to someone like Bolton, Stoke, West Brom or Everton - I doubt Sunderland would have him back - and Downing is at best decent winger with no bottle, so he can fuck off to Villa for £8m.

Adam is a decent, if horribly slow, cm player. He would flourish at a team like Swansea or,er,.........Blackpool if he doesn't fancy being on the bench.

If we start next season with these twats all in the team still, we can look forward to another season scrapping with West Brom, Swansea and Everton for the spots just below the Top 6.

It is hard to argue with any of that.

Factually you cannot lose genuine world class players like Alonso, Masch, and Torres in successive seasons, fail to replace them like for like, and not suffer badly. Those creaming themselves over Suarez should take a look at what we paid for Torres, and then look at the goalscoring records of the two here.

We have made some false starts with whm we have bought, some money needs to be raised in sales and we are going to have to be smarter this time around.

If we finish 8th or worse which looks a distinct possibility, it's going to take more than a few tweaks to change that. I just don't really see things improving any time soon, we'll go into next season turning up for the big games and continaully dropping points against the supposed weaker teams. Carroll, Adam, Henderson, Maxi should all go, but that's dream land, we look a million miles away from finishing in the top four, aside from the league cup we have fell even further back this season.

It is hard to argue with any of that.

Factually you cannot lose genuine world class players like Alonso, Masch, and Torres in successive seasons, fail to replace them like for like, and not suffer badly. Those creaming themselves over Suarez should take a look at what we paid for Torres, and then look at the goalscoring records of the two here.

We have made some false starts with whm we have bought, some money needs to be raised in sales and we are going to have to be smarter this time around.

Suarez's contribution to games is unquestionable, currently his finsihing is dire but if you look at his career you would have every reason to think that he'll start putting them away soon enough.

We can improve the quality of the team for sure...that is not the worry for me with Liverpool. My worry is concerned with the mentality of our side. That is the biggest task we are faced with....instilling a winning mentality, the fucking Mancs have it in abundance.

Quality wise they're not that good a side, but you rarely see them fold like we did at QPR...winners mentality.

That is why they are top of the table. We are where we are because we lack that mentality.

This summer should be about adding quality to the squad, 2-3 quality players. No need to pad the squad out anymore, maybe to cover a few departures especially of Dirk goes. I would personally not let Dirk go yet, one more year.

I am not going to sit here and write an extensive list of players who I think would be the quality because I don’t know who Kenny and Commolli want to bring in. I hope its more successful in terms of bringing in players who will hit the ground running as opposed to the late surge of hitting form that Downing has had.

I would however say what positions I would like to see us purchase for.

Central Midfield – I think we could do with a midfield boss who will take a game by the scruff of the neck to take that responsibility from Gerrard. Thus allowing Henderson to develop his game under less pressure, which I believe will benefit him. Spearing can cover Lucas and for DM I have no concerns, I’d rotate Adam with Gerrard’s advanced position in midfield and not Lucas’s as he is fucking crap in that role. Adam would start a hell of a lot less games for me next season too and he should have it beaten out of him to stop playing Hollywood balls all the time.

Right Winger – If Kenny is not going to move Johnson up the wing, which I think would add more dynamics to the team then a Right Winger is a necessity. They have got to have pace and be able to cross a ball.

Striker – We need a clinical finisher, someone to play with Suarez and someone right on his wavelength, I know I said I would not mention names but Cavani or Lavezzi would be a great signing and would send a message out to the rest of the league. Then we can get Carroll to work his balls off in training to adapt to our style of play in a different way, as their have been small signs that he has got the nouse to be able to play in a system that suits the style of football Kenny wants to play. The lad really needs to work hard at his game even more than ever before. It’s a big period for Andy between June and January.

Maybe we should bring another left back as Flanagan (I know he’s predominantly a right back but he can play left back too) and Robinson have not been seen this season, I appreciate they may have been developing their crafts behind the scenes, but I would send the two of them out on long season loans to Championship sides. Maybe a loan left back so we are not tied to a long term player restricting the development of two younger players and also to give Enrique some competition.

Next season is when the expectations should be higher, not like the foolish expectations of many our supporters. If we win the FA Cup to with the League Cup, then I would class that as a half decent season.

Next season I would want to see us retain at least one of those cups, and win the Euro Cup and improve our league place by two or three places. That again would show progression. I am not arsed about getting 4th and no trophies. This club is all about winning silverware, its how we built our history.

I hate how everything is pinned on playing in the Champions League, it’s not when you have had to take 20 steps back to take 2 forward.

This season has had its very frustrating moments, but it is not a total write off like the last 6 years because we have silverware. And that is all that matters.

Well, I think about the first team players I'd keep for definite...

Reina

Johnson

Kelly

Agger

Skrtel

Coates

Kuyt (still a useful option and a strong head in a mentally questionable team)

Gerrard (though not in the ludicrous traditional CM role he's blindly employed in at present)

Lucas

Suarez

Bellamy

Offers should be entertained for anyone else, many should be actively transfer listed.

If we can bring in seven or eight top tier non-British players during the summer we can challenge for a top four berth, especially if Kenny has a lightbulb moment with regards to making substitutions.

Edited by TheDrowningMan

Well, I think about the first team players I'd keep for definite...

Reina

Johnson

Kelly

Agger

Skrtel

Coates

Kuyt (still a useful option and a strong head in a mentally questionable team)

Gerrard (though not in the ludicrous traditional CM role he's blindly employed in at present)

Lucas

Suarez

Bellamy

Offers should be entertained for anyone else, many should be actively transfer listed.

If we can bring in seven or eight top tier non-British players during the summer we can challenge for a top four berth, especially if Kenny has a lightbulb moment with regards to making substitutions.

you'd seriously not have Enrique on your definate keeps?

Was watching an old re-run of the sixty minutes with Lucas on lfctv last night, and it was with Lucas.

Such a good egg. Self-confidence, he's got tons of it, he doesn't hide. I just hope the injury doesn't take anything away from his game, although he was never one for pace and jumping around in the first place, unlike Essien.

Also interesting to hear him talk about the box-to-box role and how he couldn't do it in this country, because the pace of the game is so much more intense than back in Brazil, or even other leagues. It did make me realise just how in danger that box-to-box midfielder is these days as a by-product of the hectic Premiership pace. Food for thought that.

Also interesting to hear him cite Rooney and Lampard as his toughest opponents (this was back 18 months ago mind), and how Benayoun was the toughest opponent in training.

Like I say, old interview (Hodgson times), but made me miss him, and I don't usually miss much about Lucas...I'm getting soft on him.