You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Jobs Has Died

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He made a phone so gimmicky and famous that nobody even minds that it's absolutely fuck all use as an actual phone, due to a shitter reception than Rod Hull's telly.

I reckon he died weeks ago, but they've not leaked the news till today to detract from the fact that the eagerly anticipated iPhone5 is actually still iPhone4.

Or he's NOT* dead and they're just saying he is knowing people will be desperate to buy the 4s in tribute.

It's iGenius.

*he definetly is though.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
He made a phone so gimmicky and famous that nobody even minds that it's absolutely fuck all use as an actual phone, due to a shitter reception than Rod Hull's telly.

I reckon he died weeks ago, but they've not leaked the news till today to detract from the fact that the eagerly anticipated iPhone5 is actually still iPhone4.

Or that they saw an opportunity to release the 4s and hold back on the 5

Lost iPhone 5: Bernal Heights Man Says Visitors Impersonating Police Searched His Home (Exclusive) - San Francisco News - The Snitch

Someone please rep her for me please.

Fucking brilliant.

I'm genuinely upset.

News of Steve Jobs' death sends tens of thousands of hipsters flinging themselves off cliffs in anguish; world thankful.

This is extremely distressing.

You can guarantee there will be some sort of vigil or shrine outside apple stores somewhere in the world.

Woefully ignorant of what he did, I'm afraid. Steve Jobs changed the world before the iPhone and iPod had ever seen the light of day. He also put the tools into the hands of other people, enabling them to change the world too. Anybody who denies he changed the world for the better is either ignorant or sadly deluded.

He brought the GUI to the mass market in a way that we know it today, he came up with the computers that spawned the world wide web, and the very first web server, and that's even before you got into fucking iPods and other gadgets. To judge him on iPods and iPhones is a bit like judging Neil Armstrong on his interviewing technique. To start Apple, NeXT and Pixar, without even mentioning some of the amazing boundaries they pushed, is a pretty positive contribution to modern history.

It's no surprise people are paying tributes today, and it's certainly not because he made a cool gadget.

apple.jpg

:whistle:

Of course I want to maintain it. Actually, I'd like to reinforce it. He change the world for the better. The things I've listed in this thread, and his other achievements, quite clearly had a positive effect on the way the world operates. The tools he put in the hands of people also had a massive impact.

Pathetic.

'Tools' is an apt word though.

He was a pioneer but best described as a ruthless, driven buisnessman who surrounded himself with very clever people. Jonathan Ive has as much to do with apple's current global wankfest as Jobs.

Funniest comment of the day on his death was some yank CNN journo comparing him to Edison.

Jobs is however a great example of how somone who comes from nothing can achieve great things/success

He was a pioneer but best described as a ruthless, driven buisnessman who surrounded himself with very clever people. Jonathan Ive has as much to do with apple's current global wankfest as Jobs.

Funniest comment of the day on his death was some yank CNN journo comparing him to Edison.

Jobs is however a great example of how somone who comes from nothing can achieve great things/success

Judging by his Wiki page,he hardly came from nothing,he seemed to have a good upbringing and his biological and adopted parents appeared to be intelligent and comfortable working class at least.

Steve Jobs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guest ShoePiss
he dropped out of uni due to lack of funds I thought

Probably couldn't afford the heroin, Reed College is one of the most tolerant when it comes to drug use.

fuck hipsters, fuck Apple. He didn't improve the world, he just managed to market shit to us that we didn't really need fuelled by shallow trendy types. He was a capitalist (nothing wrong with that) and he'll leave a lot of money to his kids / missus whatever.

He's dead, goodnight sweet ponce.

you wouldn't be using a mouse with your computer without him.

Just one of many examples of his innovations.

You giant tool, they're just brands.

Just brands. Ace.

Learn about what you're talking about before you make a comment next time.

You're trying to tell me Macintosh didn't shape the design and application of modern PC's? Pixar didn't change the way people made movies?

Guest ShoePiss

What, the mouse? He was at reed college injecting LSD into his eyeballs when a mouse was already driving computers

Just brands. Ace.

Learn about what you're talking about before you make a comment next time.

You're trying to tell me Macintosh didn't shape the design and application of modern PC's? Pixar didn't change the way people made movies?

Let's forget about IBM then...

http://www.gawker.com/5847338/steve-jobs-was-not-god

PERSPECTIVE

Steve Jobs Was Not God

By Hamilton Nolan, Oct 6, 2011 2:10 PM

So, Steve Jobs is dead. A tech genius has passed on. Sad. Certainly a devastating loss to Steve Jobs' close friends and family members, as well as to Apple executives and shareholders. The rest of you? Calm down.

Among my Facebook friends yesterday, more than one wrote publicly that they were "crying" or "can't stop crying" or "teared up" due to Steve Jobs' death. Really now. You can't stop crying, now that you've heard that a middle-aged CEO has passed on, after a long battle with cancer? If humans were always so empathetic, well, that would be understandable. But this type of one-upmanship of public displays of grief is both unbecoming and undeserved.

Real outpourings of public grief should be reserved for those people who lived life so heroically and selflessly that they stand as shining examples of love for all of humanity. People like, for example, the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, who--along with his family--was bombed, beaten, and stabbed during his years of principled activism in the US civil rights movement. Shuttlesworth died yesterday, the same day as Steve Jobs. He did not die a billionaire.

Death, of course, is not a competition. All deaths are sad for the living. Everyone deserves to be mourned, and well-known people will inevitably be mourned more loudly than others. But it is actually important to keep our grief in perspective. When we start mourning technocrats as idols, we cheapen the lives of those who have sacrificed more for their fellow man.

Steve Jobs was great at what he did. There's no need to further fellate the man's memory. He made good computers, he made good phones, he made good music players. He sold them well. He got obscenely rich. He enabled an entire generation of techie design fetishists to walk around with more attractive gadgets. He did not meaningfully reduce poverty, or make life-saving scientific discoveries, or end wars or heal the sick or befriend the friendless. Which is fine--most of us don't. But most of us don't provoke such cult-like lachrymosity when we pass on. When even the journalists tasked with covering you and your company are reduced to pie-eyed fans apologizing for discomforting your insanely powerful multibillion-dollar corporation in some minor way, some perspective has been lost.

I've never owned an Apple product. Yet here I am, talking on phones, typing on computers, and reading the internet every day. If you like Apple products, fine. They are products. They do not have souls. They are not heroes, and neither is their creator, no matter how skilled he may have been. Let's mourn Steve Jobs as we mourn the passing of any other good man--modestly, privately, and quietly. Those of you whose remembrances have already taken on a quasi-religious tone: seek help.

I didn't realise that he invented that at Xerox PARC, along with the GUI...

I suppose that, like Edison, he was great at taking other peoples innovations and marketing them as being something revolutionary. One thing he did do was to drive the computer market into the hands of the common consumer, something which was already happening but was in need of someone to drive it forward. So, that's Steve Jobs to me. A brilliant marketer, for sure, but not a technological genius. As far as Apple is concerned, that bit goes to the likes of Steve Wozniak and Burrell Smith.